Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2021, 03:20 AM   #81
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t doubt sutters plans. He’s having the plans enacted because tre can’t help but agree.

Sutters competitively run insular team first approach is paying off. This is probably part of his master plan. To me, jusso doesn’t look nhl ready. But now at least he’s playing top minutes and competing in arguably the third best hockey league in the world. He’s actually doing Well there. 3 assists in two games shows me he’s already clicking with that group.

He is there now and will really get some good run and face some career ahl ers who want to eat his spoiled first round pick lunch.

It’s up to him now. But that team is deep. I’m really proud of this scouting staff. They have been unquestionably good until this point and as of late post Brian Burke era. How can anyone argue with the results. So many reinforcements coming along. This is the culture I have been wanting since we officially relinquished iggy , sold Reggie and let kipper retire. If only Benny was here. But I think valimaki has offensive upside. I don’t give up on that lightly. But it needs confidence to make it play at that level and other worlds nearly inhuman levels of confidence.

Being more assertive and aggressive physically will help jusso immensely. He’s still a young man playing a somewhat violent position in professional sports. Forechecks are mean and don’t have feelings other than the regular attrition all pros face. Sports are unforgiving. Sutter as we know has this kids best interest at heart. He doesn’t want him to be demoralized. Look at what Edmonton does to their young kids. Can I get an order of mcdefence please? Sheesh they are hot dogs hundred foot players. Our team is a pack of hunting dogs.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #82
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Valimaki has been sent down because his job was taken by a superior player making league minimum. This is a good thing, not something to complain about. The owners know that very well.

As for his salary, I think the GM Mind Control Ray theory is at work again. Treliving doesn't have the power to order players to sign at a certain salary. Valimaki's contract was negotiated between the team and Valimaki's agent. The Flames did not just offer him extra money out of the goodness of their hearts.
Vali also played ball in his injury season in terms of helping the team in the expansion draft, etc. - he could have had a valid grievance about being denied development opportunity (in whatever league) and earning pensionable service, etc. - a slightly generous AAV would have been a reasonable gesture/compromise instead of really nickle & diming that negotiation.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #83
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger89 View Post
I've heard from someone in the organisation that Sutter wants Valimaki to play harder and be more physical. The rest of the D have stepped up, but Valimaki isn't there yet so he's not going to bump anyone out of the line-up any time soon. Hopefully he can develop more of an edge to his game.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
I wonder if he is a bit hesitant about getting into hard nosed play because of his injury history. It doesn't even need to be a conscious choice but I know from sports injuries that mentally I was always playing with less edge afterward.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #84
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I wonder if he is a bit hesitant about getting into hard nosed play because of his injury history. It doesn't even need to be a conscious choice but I know from sports injuries that mentally I was always playing with less edge afterward.

I think some of it is just that he is not playing the right way. At times he gets caught too far up in the offensive zone spends a little time in there then doesn't get back to where he should be. Sutter also likes defensemen who are big and physical; I read one of Sutters interviews years ago, it has to do with wearing teams down especially in the playoffs. When it comes to mobility Valimaki doesn't fill the role as Killington does this better. Valimaki needs to establish what kind of role Sutter is looking for from him and so far he has not done that. Does Valimaki have the skills, absolutely but I think he is having trouble figuring out the role Sutter wants from him; which has to do with fitting into Sutter's team plan.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #85
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter likes to pressure the puck everywhere - fast paced, keep your feet moving, close gaps, and don't give the puck carrier time and space.

Valimaki plays a steady, slow, patient kind of game, picking his spots. In many ways, Kylington used to play like that as well.

Kylington has learned to use his skills, and most importantly, use his speed, to be more impactful. Valimaki hasn't figured it out yet. I am sure he will though. He has the tools, but he needs to play at a higher tempo, and dictate the play more.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #86
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sutter likes to pressure the puck everywhere - fast paced, keep your feet moving, close gaps, and don't give the puck carrier time and space.

Valimaki plays a steady, slow, patient kind of game, picking his spots. In many ways, Kylington used to play like that as well.

Kylington has learned to use his skills, and most importantly, use his speed, to be more impactful. Valimaki hasn't figured it out yet. I am sure he will though. He has the tools, but he needs to play at a higher tempo, and dictate the play more.
That’s absolutely what he has to do. Now that the Flames have been allowed to send him down without clearing waivers, he will have the opportunity to do that. This is absolutely the best choice for the organization and the player.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #87
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Treliving is here tonight.

Did you travel down with him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #88
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Looks like Valimaki is a scratch for Stockton tonight.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468408363482370050
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #89
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Looks like Valimaki is a scratch for Stockton tonight.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468408363482370050
Wtf
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Wtf
Most likely means he is coming back to Calgary with the big club.

edit: yup. According to Capfriendly Valimaki has been recalled

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468410074104225792
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #91
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Shortridge is the spare goalie. He'll probably head back to Kansas City.

Gravel, Simpson and Petterson are roster flotsam.

Valimaki might be coming back to the main squad, I reckon.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #92
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Most likely means he is coming back to Calgary with the big club.

edit: yup. According to Capfriendly Valimaki has been recalled

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468410074104225792
Lol the last page of discussion about how this was best for Valimaki and how it was the master plan, etc. Haha we know nothing.

Still enjoyed the discussion. Good points being raised.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #93
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't get it. Unless he's playing ... tonight?
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #94
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Don't get it. Unless he's playing ... tonight?
He was close by (Stockton), and Kylington was an uncertainty. May as well bring him in, just in case
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #95
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perfect timing for Zadorov to have a brutal game...get Vallimaki back in the lineup on thursday vs. CAR
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #96
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense, just left him in Stockton when they were in the area, bring him back up to fly home with the team
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:37 AM   #97
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wonder if they will send him back down again since Kylington was able to play.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:02 AM   #98
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somethings up
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #99
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There seems to be a lot of premature jumping to conclusions all over the place. I’m pretty sure you can find some similar comments about Kyllington having no shot at the team during his killer training camp.

I doubt Sutter dislikes Valimaki. He’s still a promising young D and appears to have a very good attitude. Sutter isn’t a fickle tyrant that rashly and unfairly sends players to his doghouse. He’s a demanding coach that insists everyone be on board with just how he needs them to play. Sutter clearly communicates what more he needs from guys and Valimaki is a good young player who seems to be putting in the work right now to get there.

As has been said plenty, it’s only one quarter of the way into the season and he he’s just been passed by Killer and Gorilla-Branson. The season is long and if any coach-GM combo truly values and loves their depth defensemen no matter where they assign them, it must be the Flames’. It takes plenty of defensive depth to make it anywhere in the playoffs, and we haven’t had injuries affect our D much yet.

As for Tre, all of the bottom D contracts were all negotiated independently with different players and agents who are all in different negotiating situations. I don’t see the differences in contracts as meaning much about intentions and favorites between the guys battling for the bottom D spots. All you can do is sign the best possible roster in summer, then manage your roster in-season as well as possible to deal with the chaos that comes in-season. There’s always players that step up and players who falter on a team once the season starts.

Valimaki may be used as a trade chip. Valimaki may eventually not fit on the Flames. I just don’t see any evidence to think Valimaki has fallen out of favour anywhere in all of this right now. I don’t see proof of anything other than a young #7 D trying to find his way into the top 6, with coaching and management trying to help him get there.

Last edited by Stampede2TheCup; 12-08-2021 at 02:39 AM.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stampede2TheCup For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #100
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Sutter is just doing for Valimaki what he did for Kylington hoping to get the same result
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote