Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #21
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It seems there is only one possible course of action for many. You come into the thread with very clear and descriptive title in the subject and tell everyone how you don't want to talk about it.

There's obviously not going to be much news on that topic for a while unless God forbid the surgery is a disaster. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

But it will be interesting to reflect back on. As Jiri states, some like Friedman have reported the Flames weren't that close. But they were definitely interested. And if they weren't close, it is by choice really because while the Sabres may have coveted certain players from Vegas, it's not like that offer was unbeatable. You could have offered more if you wanted him bad enough. To be seen if that would have been the right call.
Seeing what Buffalo got if the Flames weren't close Treliving should just step down now, they got Krebs who doesn't look any better than Dube at the NHL level(at least Dube has an NHL shot), A broken power forward and a middle 1st for Eichel and a 3rd.

Ridiculous we couldn't put a deal together to beat that "junk" for Eichel.

Prediction: By this time next season even the most supportive Treliving fans will want him gone because of this.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:49 AM   #22
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why doesn’t some just start an eichel fan club?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Seeing what Buffalo got if the Flames weren't close Treliving should just step down now, they got Krebs who doesn't look any better than Dube at the NHL level(at least Dube has an NHL shot), A broken power forward and a middle 1st for Eichel and a 3rd.

Prediction: By this time next season even the most supportive Treliving fans will want him gone because of this.
One more time: This isn’t a contest where an independent judge decides which offer is better. Buffalo simply wanted Krebs more than any Calgary prospect, like it or not, and likely wanted Tuch more than any roster player Calgary could offer due to his contract status and desire to play there. You can’t force a yes from Buffalo no matter how much you tell them Krebs isn’t as good as they think.

There’s a pretty good chance they didn’t want Tkachuk or Monahan even if they were offered, for reasons which have been set out many times.

I think it quite likely Treliving made an offer we would all consider “better”.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #24
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Why doesn’t some just start an eichel fan club?
The No EichelS club?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Biased post is biased.
Krebs is a quality prospect. Full stop.
He tracks to be a better NHLer than Dube.
History will tell but when you label their package as "junk" it is designed to suggest somehow Tree screwed up.

I stated several times along the way that if Krebs was put on the table that it would like be over. So this isn't revisionist history by me.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #26
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Should the 30 other GMs who couldn't beat Vegas's offer step down as well?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #27
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Not offer. "Junk".
Old 11-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Biased post is biased.
Krebs is a quality prospect. Full stop.
He tracks to be a better NHLer than Dube.
History will tell but when you label their package as "junk" it is designed to suggest somehow Tree screwed up.

I stated several times along the way that if Krebs was put on the table that it would like be over. So this isn't revisionist history by me.
I agree with you that Krebs is a quality prospect and probably ranked higher than Dube by those around the league.

But I do think the Vegas offer could have been topped if you're hell bent on Eichel. Maybe Mangiapane? Or maybe add another first to the mix.

The Flames offered what they did. As you say, history will tell if that was the right decision. Personally I'm a little skeptical. The Flames biggest problem, and its repeated by many on here is what when they lose, their best players (Tkachuk, Gaudreau. Lindholm) were not as good as the other team's best players.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #29
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Yes, except for Holland.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #30
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I agree with you that Krebs is a quality prospect and probably ranked higher than Dube by those around the league.

But I do think the Vegas offer could have been topped if you're hell bent on Eichel. Maybe Mangiapane? Or maybe add another first to the mix.

The Flames offered what they did. As you say, history will tell if that was the right decision. Personally I'm a little skeptical. The Flames biggest problem, and its repeated by many on here is what when they lose, their best players (Tkachuk, Gaudreau. Lindholm) were not as good as the other team's best players.
We'll never know and we'll never be able to fully evaluate because we don't know what they offered.
Part of the reason why Krebs was important to Buffalo is because he projects to be a centre in the NHL. If that was important to the Sabres, the Flames had little to offer. I'm not sure if Zary projects to be a centre or winger at the NHL level.

But I think the fan perception that "offers can be beat" by throwing in more stuff is fundamentally flawed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #31
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you're saying that 23 year old Dillon Dube and his experience of 134 NHL games and 56 AHL games looks better in the NHL than 20 year old Payton Krebs and his experience of 13 NHL games and 9 AHL games?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #32
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
We'll never know and we'll never be able to fully evaluate because we don't know what they offered.
Part of the reason why Krebs was important to Buffalo is because he projects to be a centre in the NHL. If that was important to the Sabres, the Flames had little to offer. I'm not sure if Zary projects to be a centre or winger at the NHL level.

But I think the fan perception that "offers can be beat" by throwing in more stuff is fundamentally flawed.
exactly this.

also, at what point would it have been TOO much for Eichel? we could have added multiple 1sts and prospects and players but should the Flames have? it would have been a pyrrhic victory
Old 11-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's easy for us to say "we could have beaten that by offering x". Truth is, we simply don't know what the focus was for Buffalo and how they evaluate the various pieces. Krebs is a fine prospect and Tuch has a decent contract, so I get why that's enticing to Buffalo. I'm still convinced they could have got quite a bit more in the summer, but Krebs+Tuch+1st is not "junk".
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #34
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's never gonna be a Flames. So, who cares.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:14 PM   #35
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Since we had so much interest in acquiring Jack Eichel why not another thread to watch his comeback.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #36
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody cares about Eichel anymore. The trade is done. We didn’t get him. Let’s focus on the future.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #37
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Why on Earth would any Flames fan now care about the recovery of yet another generational talent on another rival team in our division? Even the "are we getting him" stuff had already progressed to whatever comes after the dead horse beating stage. Zero interest in what happens to him now.

Besides, you just need to wait until the off season SNET documentary for all the juicy details about his recovery.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #38
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be keen to watch and talk about Eichel once he's back and we see what he really is.
But at this point after wasting the whole summer on it, I'm happy to leave this topic for 3-4 months.
(leaving the room)
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #39
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Should Pierre Lebrun and Darren Dreger also not be talking about it then? It's really no different than other stories about the NHL that get posted here. Yeah I get there's been a lot of threads about Jack here but this is post trade.

I also don't think Eichel was really interested in playing here of all places. The Flames do play the Knights in March so it's possible he could be back in action by then.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be honest, I want his surgery to be a success and him to have a pain free life but I hope his hockey career takes a giant nosedive. I hate Vegas.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gamble , jackeichel , lasvegas