Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #401
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
Sean Meanahan IMHO epitomizes, do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Bottom 6 role form a top 6 role, embraces it and improves game over game. Truly a Flames warrior in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And has never complained. Ever. About anything.

Just shows up for work and does what he's told.
I hadn't really thought of it this way but you guys are right. That's a pretty respectable thing for a player to do, pretty cool.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #402
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is 5th for points among forwards.

He is head of Backlund, who nobody is complaining about. As well as Coleman. And he is starting to gain some momentum.

Has he been worth $6M so far? No. But is he the black hole of suck that some posters try to claim? Not even close.

As someone else mentioned, I look at him like a deadline addition - if he starts producing more, he just adds to a team that is already deep.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #403
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
For his salary? No, no he hasn't. If he was making Brad Richardson money, sure.
I don’t really care what his salary is at this point in the season, and more than Lucic’s salary, Backlund’s, Tkachuk’s or Coleman’s.

And I never judge a salary by a single year anyway, because it’s pretty rare that a contract works out that way. You pay an amount over the lifetime of the contract.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #404
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

He is head of Backlund, who nobody is complaining about. As well as Coleman. And he is starting to gain some momentum.

Has he been worth $6M so far? No. But is he the black hole of suck that some posters try to claim? Not even close.

As someone else mentioned, I look at him like a deadline addition - if he starts producing more, he just adds to a team that is already deep.
I don't get to watch all the games, but there is one player who is an absolute black hole on our team IMO, and Monny has been stuck with them ALOT, Pitlick. The guy will make smart plays, without the puck, but the second he gets the puck his controller disconnects.

I agree Monny hasn't been playing to his contract, and due to the horrid medical staff and leadership who constantly let him play through injuries rather than healing up over the last several years probably never will play to that level again.

But he is an overall positive to the team, we should dump Pitlick and Gudbranson first, two players who when I do get to watch stick out as additions by subtraction to me are Pitlick and Gudbranson. Playing without those two players, even without replacements would improve this team. Though, I may just catch them on all their off days.

I think a lot of people get focused on production per dollar when really, I think we just want a solid team that plays well together and with the new Coleman, Monahan, Lewis line we have three solid lines and two solid D pairings.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #405
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gudbranson? He's arguably been our best defensive defenceman all year. He rarely ever makes a mistake.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #406
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Holy balls, he earned his damn money every year. There isn't even an alternative reality, where multi 30 goal scorer Sean Mony plays for league minimum.
No kidding. First 4 years were fair value or better.

Year 5 = 50 poor games on a poor team
Year 6 = 24 generally poor games so far, albeit in a different role and recovering from injury

More importantly, he's the team's active leader in playoff:
goals
PPG
ESP
pts/gp
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #407
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Gudbranson? He's arguably been our best defensive defenceman all year. He rarely ever makes a mistake.
??? Best ??? He's a 3rd pair D ... If your best D is on your 3rd pair, your D is in trouble.

He's always taken dumb penalties at the wrong time in the game

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #408
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're looking for problems in the lineup, Gudbranson isn't the place to look
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #409
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
??? Best ??? He's a 3rd pair D ... If your best D is on your 3rd pair, your D is in trouble.

You should really show your work on that on. If “always” means 6 games I guess so, and if “wrong time” includes whenever you say it is, since there’s no real patten to his penalties.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #410
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post

Well he’s 4th in ice time for D.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #411
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightslayer View Post
gudbranson? He's arguably been our best defensive defenceman all year. He rarely ever makes a mistake.

lol
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #412
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon39

Quote:
Holy balls, he earned his damn money every year. There isn't even an alternative reality, where multi 30 goal scorer Sean Mony plays for league minimum.
If you think he has earned his money over the past couple of years you are out to lunch. It's funny how the Monahan fans refuse to acknowledge that contract is bad now. It doesn't matter what he did years ago, he is never going to be a 30 goal impact player again.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #413
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you think he has earned his money over the past couple of years you are out to lunch. It's funny how the Monahan fans refuse to acknowledge that contract is bad now. It doesn't matter what he did years ago, he is never going to be a 30 goal impact player again.
He is not a league minimum value player. End point.

Last season was tough, maybe he didn't earn it in that specific season, I am saying he has earned all his money up to that point and then some.

Furthermore I would argue that he would get Coleman money if he was a UFA . Your statement that he is worth Lewis money is absurd. Zadoriv Backlund, Lucic, Gudbranson, Pitlick: these players are also over paid but no one else is using ridiculous hyperbole to claim they would be fine if making league minimum. Well maybe Pitlick and Zadorov...
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #414
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He is not a league minimum value player. End point.

Last season was tough, maybe he didn't earn it in that specific season, I am saying he has earned all his money up to that point and then some.

Furthermore I would argue that he would get Coleman money if he was a UFA . Your statement that he is worth Lewis money is absurd. Zadoriv Backlund, Lucic, Gudbranson, Pitlick: these players are also over paid but no one else is using ridiculous hyperbole to claim they would be fine if making league minimum. Well maybe Pitlick and Zadorov...

Good gravy folks. There really are some wild illusions about the state of Monahan right now. Aside from one game his 5 on 5 production is 2 points this season.

There are dozens of nhl players that struggle at a 5-on-5 shift but can play on the power play. This is a replacement level player until further notice.

I get that people don’t want to dwell on the negatives of what’s been a fantastic season so far, but an emerging need is secondary scoring to fill a role monahan was supposed to be able to (and is paid to) provide.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #415
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The narrative that he’s “looking better each game” and trending up isn’t what I’m seeing at all. He’s just sporadically having good games and then disappearing without notice because the expectations are so low at this point

Last 10 games: 1 goal, four points, minus three.... Monahan hockey same as the 10 before
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #416
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know why people are so bothered about Monahan. Right now this team is in a position to be patient with his game and outside of his offensive metrics he is playing an exemplary defensive game with a full 200 foot commitment. His value is at an all time low trade-wise as well because of his dip in production the last few years albeit due to a string of injury issues. Let him keep going out and providing a good option on the PP while playing solid defensively responsible minutes 5vs5. The offence could come at anytime and this forum would 180 in a hurry if he started producing with Coleman so why not sit back a bit and let it play out opposed to constantly raining negativity down on the player in order to say I told you so if things don’t improve?? There is no screaming panic with Monahan, yes he’s currently overpayed, no we probably couldn’t get value if we traded him, but is he replacement level?? Hardly, that’s about as laughable of a notion as any I’ve heard on Monahan.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 12-07-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #417
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saying “exemplary defensive game” is pretty silly for a guy who is incapable of moving his feet or playing physical. He’s Mark Jankowski on defense and James Neal on offense right now

I don’t see how you can even be -6 on a team with the leagues best goal differential when you’re not being asked to do an ounce of the heavy lifting 5 on 5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #418
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The answer to this is very simple, fans understand player usage at this point and don’t just look at point totals

So Backlund and Coleman are playing harder minutes against better competition and getting better results 5 on 5. Fans care about team results over individual point performances and it’s obvious that those two are doing more to contribute to the teams success regardless of their stat lines
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #419
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
And has never complained. Ever. About anything.

Just shows up for work and does what he's told.
What the hell would Sean Monahan have to complain about?

- over 6 mil in salary
- superglued to the top powerplay unit regardless of performance year after year
- low expectations

Darryl’s given him an easy role and a long leash. He basically just has to break even 5v5 against other teams third and fourth lines, and even if he doesn’t he’s not getting benched or demoted

For underachieving, overpaid player in a Canadian market Sean Monahan has absolutely zero to complain about
Old 12-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #420
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
What the hell would Sean Monahan have to complain about?

- over 6 mil in salary
- superglued to the top powerplay unit regardless of performance year after year
- low expectations

Darryl’s given him an easy role and a long leash. He basically just has to break even 5v5 against other teams third and fourth lines, and even if he doesn’t he’s not getting benched or demoted

For underachieving, overpaid player in a Canadian market Sean Monahan has absolutely zero to complain about
I suppose that you and he have nothing in common then.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:

Tags
soft