Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #2921
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Here's the link to my hit with Pat from yesterday. Actually really proud of this one, think it went very well.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/?p=38012&preview=true

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #2922
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good job Scorpion. Keep it up.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #2923
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

which podcast is it? Boomer's?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #2924
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard it live. Well done sir. Keep it up and hope you're enjoying the golden state. I miss being down there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #2925
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
which podcast is it? Boomer's?
The Big Show, I presume, because he talked with Pat, however the Sportsnet site is missing the Thursday and Friday episodes right now for some reason.

Edit, found it on 960's main site (Scorp is on at 30:30):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/big-sho...d-nfl-week-13/

Last edited by Jetfire; 12-04-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #2926
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Here's the link to my hit with Pat from yesterday. Actually really proud of this one, think it went very well.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/?p=38012&preview=true

Big fan of your writing. Proud of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #2927
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy #### is Nault's negativity insufferable.

Worst personality on 960 by far.

You'd think they had the Canucks record the way he spins things.

Its one 3-2 loss on a 3rd game in 4 nights in Vegas. Relax dude, sky isn't falling and they're not totally devoid of depth like you're making them out to be, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #2928
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As one of the resident pessimists here, I don't really mind Nault's negativity.

But it's not just his Flames takes that are negative. He seems to have a negative, brash, haughty personality. And sometimes his negative takes are without any sort of foundation to back up the criticism. Negativity for the sake of negativity. That's what I don't like.

And great job Scorp, once again. You and Pat are starting to have great on-air chemistry. He lets you show all of your extensive knowledge on the subject and I think this really comes through to the listeners.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #2929
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorp for Nault straight up. Has to happen yesterday to make sense.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #2930
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think it says a lot about the quality of the 960 discussions and radio personalities that while I am completely obsessed with the Flames and check CalgaryPuck and Flames Twitter all day, I never listen to the radio.

The very few times I do tune in I end up switching back to podcasts or music within minutes. Even if they happen to be talking about something interesting, I find most of the personalities to be so unlikeable and smug it makes my skin crawl trying to listen to them.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #2931
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Holy #### is Nault's negativity insufferable.

Worst personality on 960 by far.

You'd think they had the Canucks record the way he spins things.

Its one 3-2 loss on a 3rd game in 4 nights in Vegas. Relax dude, sky isn't falling and they're not totally devoid of depth like you're making them out to be, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are.
Yeah I had to turn that garbage off on the way home. He is the worst.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #2932
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nault was also poking fun at Wills' optimistic nature again butting in and asking if Derek didn't meant Rasmus would put up 50 goals while Wills was giving his take on Anderson. Surprisingly Wills smoothly pokes him back jokingly with "yeah, 50 in 39" and continues.

It's like he was saving all his wet blanket energy for that first regulation loss against a good team to blast everybody with glass-empty smugness.

Amazing that their play that garnered points in 20 of 25 and their second best 25 game start in franchise history after only the cup season was completely lost on him in all his rambling. Bleak, hopelessness ad nauseum. And Mangiapane's great season is actually bad news because he's doing way more than should be expected, and we're lucky to be riding unsustainable contributions that go back well into last season and the WCs, otherwise our poor depth would be glaring. This despite the fact that two guys up the road manage to sustain a 2 ppg pace to buoy that team nightly and he doesn't bat an eye at them. Yup. Let's disregard the fact that Mangi is a 40 goal guy in the last 82 games now and among the league leaders in even strength goals and expected goals over the last few seasons. Nope, dude is a flash in the pan still according to Will.

Or maybe you need to get caught up on what Mangiane has established himself as now and why Team Canada is looking at him. Think you might have a handle on that by now given that you cover Flames hockey in Calgary?

What really got me is his proclamation that they would go "nowhere" in the playoffs with their current depth. Nowhere.. Bit of an overstatement don't you think. How many teams are playing like the Flames, as well or as consistently? Very few. Maybe they don't find a way to solve Vegas if they went on a run, but that's not the same as going "nowhere" in a western conference that is filled with underwhelming teams, which includes the Avs who are defensively nowhere near the level the Flames are at this year.

####s sake. You have one of the top lines in hockey, and both your goalies are top 5 in the NHL which is, like, UNHEARD of. Not only that, the Calgary Flames are literally the stingiest defensive team, in the NHL, but they won't go anywhere in the playoffs. Incredible. All because Monahan isn't chipping in enough, a problem that is unsolvable for a GM.

What a Neggie Nancy.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-06-2021 at 07:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #2933
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I think he must post here.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #2934
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We're getting literally the best case scenario this season, and the team is full marks for it. You have to be reaching elastigirl style for such a negative outlook at this point. If scrooge and the grinch had a love child it would be named Will Nault.

Okay lol I'm done.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #2935
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^^ I think he must post here.
I’ve narrowed it down to about 4 dozen suspects.

We’ll need to get some more clues. How does he feel about Eichel? Is he obsessed with us trading Bennett? Does he refer to the GM as Bradley? Was he convinced we ruined Kylington? Does he think Johnny for sure signing elsewhere? Did the team turn on Chucky for trying too hard last season?

Sorry I don’t listen to the fan much anymore. Gonna need someone to fill me in.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #2936
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
As one of the resident pessimists here, I don't really mind Nault's negativity.

But it's not just his Flames takes that are negative. He seems to have a negative, brash, haughty personality. And sometimes his negative takes are without any sort of foundation to back up the criticism. Negativity for the sake of negativity. That's what I don't like.
It’s this that irks me as well. Claims made without evidence, etc etc.

I don’t need the local sports station to go full-homer, but I’d at least like their mainstay hosts to provide insight I may not otherwise have.

Today, Nault’s rant about Dube routinely “putting his teammates offside” was nothing I couldn’t have potentially heard from “Super Special Flames Insider”: My Dad—Yelling at the TV.

It was also another example of how the faux-ragery kills a discussion threatening to be actually interesting (this one related to what type of player is potentially missing from the forward group).

Anyway. I’ll soon be in AC territory with that station if this keeps up…
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #2937
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well that is actually true. Didn't hear the rant but Dube does go offside a lot or makes an extra move and makes his linemates go offside. He has killed any line he's been on.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #2938
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also wouldn't hurt Pat to call Nault out when he's gone off the deep end. It killed me just a little inside that Pat just let him go off and didn't take the opportunity to throw any of the Flames many encouraging individual and team stats at him and challenge him.

"Hey Will, the Flames have a two time championship behind the bench and they are allowing the fewest goals against of any team in this league, better than Vegas and some of these other "good" teams are doing. Are you telling me that doesn't count for something?" (Come on patty!)

But I suppose Pat has long resigned himself to the impartial, ho-hum mediator role on the roundtable discussions.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #2939
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've now started to switch off the Marek show when Freidman comes on, and for 2 stupidly annoying reasons.

1. Elliot insists on eating like a cow while doing his segment. I mean seriously, its not your podcast you're on, this is pretty much a national show and you can't stop stuffing your face for 30 min? Hearing him talk with his mouth full is disgusting.

2. They constantly talk over each other and neither refuses to back down and stop, so you get 20 seconds of 2 people rambling not being able to make out either person, perfect -
and it's literally every time he's on now.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #2940
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Dube point was fair, albeit a little over the top in the delivery with blasting fans for liking the player's body of work since being in the NHL. Not the best way to make a point.

I think the big issue is he can't seem to critique something without drawing a larger (typically negative) conclusion about it. And the fan blasting doesn't seem very on brand for a station named "the Fan" either.