Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #101
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Season 2 starts on September 1st. Some of the press release images are interesting. They're definitely straying really far from the books 2 and 3 based on the images, and there's no guarantee that'll be a good thing.

On my reread of the series, I'm on Book 13 right now. It took me a year to finish Book 10 and 11, but Book 12 and 13 are much easier to get invested and read huge chunks at a time. I'm not very hopeful they'll get that far but there's been quite a few scenes in Book 12 and 13 where I was like "I'd love to see how this would look on TV".
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #102
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone watching Season 2? I think so far it's been a big improvement over Season 1. But also deviating further from the books so book purists might not appreciate.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #103
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I couldn't even get through episode 1 of season 2.

This is not Wheel of Time, it is something else. They should have just made a spin off instead.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:17 AM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

S2E1 was tough for me to get through, too. E2 was better. I didn't read the books so it's been fine, but I am watching The Witcher as well, and my brain keeps crossing over the wizard stories which is making it all more confusing.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #105
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it. I don't mind the deviation. While the first few books were good, the middle ones were a struggle and there is a ####load of characters that are not needed or could be merged.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #106
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

You could cut a tonne of story lines and still hold to the core story.

This is not the core story.

It is painfully bad to watch.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #107
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

In a world with infinite time I'd watch it, but after watching S02E01 I figured "You know what, there's so many things that I COULD be watching instead of this."

I've read the books more times than I care to admit, the show isn't blowing my socks off, might as well consume something else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 09:03 AM   #108
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I really wish they had a bigger production budget, and the Dave Filoni of the Wheel of Time universe to run that show. It has soooooo much potential.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:02 PM   #109
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
In a world with infinite time I'd watch it, but after watching S02E01 I figured "You know what, there's so many things that I COULD be watching instead of this."

I've read the books more times than I care to admit, the show isn't blowing my socks off, might as well consume something else.
Exactly my feeling except I haven't read the books.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:54 AM   #110
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Exactly my feeling except I haven't read the books.
The books are good, till Sanderson comes on board after Jordan passed away and the ending to the series is so ####ing bad that it makes 2 decades of reading not worth it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:37 PM   #111
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally watched Season Two. All I can say, is that if someone wants to start watching the Wheel of Time, pretend this is the beginning of the series. Most of what season one did that is important is implied. Most of the truly dumb things in season one are ignored.

The tone improved, the pacing improved. It still simplified much of the story, but all in all it caught what the beginning of the book series felt like. It was so much improved that I'm willing to overlook much of the worts that are there.

That said, my biggest problem continues to be Judkins. He was so desperate to put 'his stamp' on the series, that he believes himself to be on the same level as Jordan and Sanderson, instead of just relying on the source material more.