Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2022, 09:02 AM   #3841
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I think 16-17 is too young to have the ability to go under such procedures. I'm not sure what the process should be but giving a teenager that power could backfire on them. They do so much growing both physically and mentally that what they feel at 16 could be quite different at 20.

How many life altering decisions did you make at 16? I wouldn't have trusted my kids (or myself for that matter) to make that kind decision on their own at that age. If they were wanting to do this, I would have brought in professional help to help them make the best decision possible. I'm not saying I would be discouraging it.....just give them more tools to make a better informed decision.
Obviously not as physically intrusive but they do allow gay conversion therapy in Texas (obviously) for kids.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:20 PM   #3842
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how the various right US politicians/media who have become Putin supporters will handle this invasion? Will they abandon it? Will they try to push along the their various audiences to jump on the Russian side after they invade a country.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #3843
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I wonder how the various right US politicians/media who have become Putin supporters will handle this invasion? Will they abandon it? Will they try to push along the their various audiences to jump on the Russian side after they invade a country.
They just continually say that this wouldn't have happened under Trump.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #3844
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
"it's terrible, but this is obviously Biden's fault and wouldn't have happened with Trump in the White House". Book it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #3845
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

in other news, Biden has nominated Ketanji Brown Jackson for Breyer's seat on the Supreme Court. Looks like a great candidate to me.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:34 PM   #3846
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two of the last stooges left wondering what happened. This is what happens when your comrades aren't getting paid

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/st...47535531798531
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #3847
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Two of the last stooges left wondering what happened. This is what happens when your comrades aren't getting paid

This that new John Travolta meme?
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:00 AM   #3848
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post

Old 03-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #3849
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion's back with the boomer memes I see.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #3850
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Dion's back with the boomer memes I see.
Boomer memes???
Old 03-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #3851
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's transphobic to think a child shouldn't get major irreversible surgery? Lol. Ok.

His language was a little colourful I'll agree and poorly chosen. But I assure you the vast public, if they're honest and not fearing reprisal from the woke mob would agree that a pre teen child has no capacity to make such a permanent decision.

Flame away.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #3852
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Yoho; 03-02-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #3853
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It's transphobic to think a child shouldn't get major irreversible surgery? Lol. Ok.

His language was a little colourful I'll agree and poorly chosen. But I assure you the vast public, if they're honest and not fearing reprisal from the woke mob would agree that a pre teen child has no capacity to make such a permanent decision.

Flame away.

Pre-teens are not getting irreversible surgery. They're doing hours and hours with counselors and therapists and other mental health professionals. They're possibly put on medications to alter puberty hormones.

Pre-teens aren't going under the knife, and these decisions re: meds/hormones are not made lightly, quickly, or without intense due-diligence.

Implying that 12 year olds are getting gender reassignment surgery is fearmongering.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 06:32 PM   #3854
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flame away.
In 1950 the vast majority of the public would have agreed it was disgusting and immoral that a white woman should marry a black man or that they would have to work or live next door to one, using public opinion as a moral guide is always a bad idea
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #3855
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

This conversation reminds me a great deal of the debates around whether not-criminally-responsible offenders should be released on the advice of their psychiatrists.

For me, it's always a completely ridiculous notion that I would or should somehow be able to evaluate what is going on between medical health professionals and their patients better than they could themselves.

Trans teenagers aren't undergoing any modification surgeries without exceptionally rigorous medical reason. Who the eff are any of us to judge or condemn a private health decision?

Last edited by AltaGuy; 03-03-2022 at 07:02 PM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #3856
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Flame away.
Thanks for the support. Wanted to say that I read some of the replies and have changed my opinion slightly thanks to them. Not that my opinion has any effect on anything important. Thanks to those who made arguments based on facts and reason.

Interesting side note: I was sin binned for language, guaranteed that if I had typed c**ks in any other context it would have been fine. Oh well, i shoulda known that disagreeing so adamantly with mainstream opinions doesn't fly anymore.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #3857
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Again it's a front. The GOP isn't fighting transgenders. But such a law can piggy back onto another law, the one they really want, which is to outlaw abortion.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #3858
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I adopted my son because at 8 it was obvious he was gay, and the kindly but profoundly Christian families that tend to adopt older kids are rarely good with these issues and I didnt want the lad back on my doorstep at 15, I have been entirely neutral, never expressing anything to him but my love regardless of who he is, now at 13 he calls himself Jade and goes to school in girls clothes and makeup which scares the crap out of me because the beating that would have brought down on a kid in the 70's when I went to school, she or he will decide for him/herself and I will support and love him or her, if she/he asked me now to go onto hormones I would support that, she/he is old enough to make that call.

Would I suggest it? no, my place is to be a loving parent and with that comes great influence that I need to keep to myself, I wish my son was straight and wasn't about to go through the stress and pain of being gay or transgender but she/he isnt and I will love him or her no matter what and walk whichever path we have to walk together.
Thanks for sharing, it's stories like this that can change people's opinions. You sound like a great parent and I'm sorry if I caused you any pain with my bullish and somewhat ignorant statement. I still don't think all parents are going to do what's right for their kids and alot can go wrong, but it's not really the state's job to police this kind of thing, unless it's funded by tax dollars imo.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #3859
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Thanks for sharing, it's stories like this that can change people's opinions. You sound like a great parent and I'm sorry if I caused you any pain with my bullish and somewhat ignorant statement. I still don't think all parents are going to do what's right for their kids and alot can go wrong, but it's not really the state's job to police this kind of thing, unless it's funded by tax dollars imo.
No you didnt cause me pain, just though it was useful perspective for the conversation, I'm a 60 year old single parent dad just trying to bring my kid up, I've a perfectly normal 31 year old daughter and about a hundred or more foster kids over the years I've helped in their journeys, they are all different as with every kid I'm just making it all up as I go, trying to be the support they need, I never know with any of my kids if I'm doing the right thing, I always know that I love my kids and I am trying to do the right thing though.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #3860
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Pre-teens are not getting irreversible surgery. They're doing hours and hours with counselors and therapists and other mental health professionals. They're possibly put on medications to alter puberty hormones.

Pre-teens aren't going under the knife, and these decisions re: meds/hormones are not made lightly, quickly, or without intense due-diligence.

Implying that 12 year olds are getting gender reassignment surgery is fearmongering.
So then you'd be in favour of a ban on gender reassignment surgery for anyone under 18? Also, aren't there hormone blockers being used now that cause irreversible changes to the body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
In 1950 the vast majority of the public would have agreed it was disgusting and immoral that a white woman should marry a black man or that they would have to work or live next door to one, using public opinion as a moral guide is always a bad idea
This is a stupid comparison. I don't have a polite way of saying that.

Last edited by White Out 403; 03-03-2022 at 09:58 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote