Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default WHL Talk - 2017/18 Season

Not sure if this thread will get much use, as since the Hitmen (for the most part the boards "home" team) have had a couple down seasons, no one has been starting a WHL thread anymore.

But what the hell, maybe some folks would like to chat about the WHL/CHL but don't feel like starting a thread.

Hurricane fan here, and boy was it nice to see the boys finally snap the dreadful 8 game losing streak they were just on. I expected them to be a contender for the division this season, and they looked poised to do just that but lost all confidence and went on a massive slide.

Hopefully beating the tar out of one of the top teams in the league (Victoria) will get them back on track. Luckily the rest of the division aside from Medicine Hat are also struggling so they are still in 3rd place with a couple games in hand on Kootenay.

Speaking of the Tigers, what an organization. I don't know how they are doing it to be honest. They lost Chad Butcher, Steven Owre, Clayton Kirichenko, Matt Bradley, Jahn Dahlstrom, Zach Fischer and Mason Shaw (to injury) from last season yet continue to be a top team. That's their top 6 scorers from last season, and 7 of their top 9 overall yet they are a top 5 team in the league again. Pretty remarkable.

Also the East division looks tough this season. Looks like Regina might have missed out by a year as they had the top team in the league last season, but have taken a step back despite being the Memorial Cup hosts this season. They are currently 4th in their division behind three pretty powerful teams in Moose Jaw, Swift Current and Brandon. Could be one of those seasons where the host team gets bounced in round 1 and sits around for over a month before hosting the Memorial Cup. Lots of season left though, and you know they will be making some trades to load up eventually.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tigers are also without Josh Williams who has a broken collarbone. His teammate at the U17 was a dumbass and hit him from behind in a practice and broke it. Hes the player with the highest upside they've had in the last decade who should be a fairly high draft pick in 2021. Their next stretch of games (Kamloops, Kelowna, Victora, Brandon, and Moose Jaw) will test them to judge their strength a lot better as so far their schedule has been very light.

John Paddock needs to add another stud blueliner and 2 more forwards just so that they don't embarrass themselves at the Memorial Cup, but their cupboards are extremely thin so who knows if he has the assets to do it. It also doesn't help them that the East division is probably the strongest it's ever been.

Ty Ronning will be looking to find the back of the net for a 12th straight contest against the Rockets tonight. The league mark for most consecutive games with a goal is held by Ronning’s father. Cliff scored in 18 straight for the New Westminster Bruins in 1984-85.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Tigers are also without Josh Williams who has a broken collarbone. His teammate at the U17 was a dumbass and hit him from behind in a practice and broke it. Hes the player with the highest upside they've had in the last decade who should be a fairly high draft pick in 2021. Their next stretch of games (Kamloops, Kelowna, Victora, Brandon, and Moose Jaw) will test them to judge their strength a lot better as so far their schedule has been very light.
Yeah, Williams was just starting to figure things out too, after a bit of a slow start. He's eligible for the NHL entry draft in 2019 though, not 2021.

They were also missing Gerlach for a stretch of games too. Just keep on winning though. Amazing.

They will eventually get Williams back, and from what I understand is they likely get Shaw back late in the season as well. They'll need the help though, because if they continue as they have they will likely win the division, and then get a tough match up in round 1 against a wild card like Regina or Brandon. Long way until that point though.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big trade for Hitmen. Gennaro and Malenstyn to Swift Current for a package of prospects.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Big trade for Hitmen. Gennaro and Malenstyn to Swift Current for a package of prospects.
After this I would think a Jake Bean trade isn't far off.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow.

Should have been Regina making a deal like this. They are going to get embarrassed in the Memorial Cup without some major adds.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A WHL scout told me he heard a rumour Swift Current isn't done and will be making another trade. Trading Schmiemann in that deal makes me wonder if they are intending to add another veteran on D based on that rumour. Manny Viveiros did spend last weekend on a scouting trip out West and one of his stops was Seattle. Maybe someone like Aaron Hyman from Seattle is brought in to add a veteran D?

Curious to see what Josh Prokop does in the future, as he could be a key piece of that deal for Calgary. Very skilled player, doing well in the BCHL at 17. He recently committed to Ohio State, but his younger brother Luke was Calgary's 1st round pick last May so maybe he's interested in playing with him.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like it should be a good year for the sellers, some real top end talent on the bottom teams out west while the US and East divisions are very strong and Regina hosting the Mem Cup. I have to admit Swift as a one line team going for it is very interesting given Moose Jaw is in first and Regina is going to be loading up.

I can see three of the top goalies all changing teams, Hart, Skinner and Ferguson. They are all 19 year olds who likely won't be back next season and playing on some of the worst teams. More massive package deal like the one yesterday have to be I the works. The 98 group is very strong and there are some desirable pieces on some not so good teams that should be available.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Bean took warmup with the Hitmen before tonight's game against the Broncos, but was a late scratch due to an undisclosed injury according to Ferguson. Rmours too, a deal to Portland is almost done. Hmmm...

Old 12-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Avs are apparently letting Jost go to attend the WJC as part of Team Canada.

His rights were dealt from Everett to Regina a while ago, I wonder if he heads there after the tourney. Would be a huge boost for the Memorial Cup hosts who are pretty much the 4th or 5th best team in their division right now.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regina lost again last night. Tied for last in the division as they head into the Christmas break.

I would say it's panic time for the Memorial Cup hosts. Pretty sure the CHL notices that also their Memorial Cup hosts are a bad hockey team.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everett on fire lately. Whooped Portland last night to pull into 1st in the US division. Wasn't long ago and they were last. That division is a tough one too.

The Central is really pathetic.

As for Regina, has a Memorial Cup host ever missed the playoffs before? If they don't figure something out it might happen to them. With Moose Jaw, Swift and Brandon doing what they are doing, Regina is already relegated to being a Wild Card team, and like Drake said, they are now neck and neck with PA and the Blades for even getting one of those. Lucky for them nobody in the Central looks capable of pushing for a Wild Card spot.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours of Jesse Gabrielle being sent back to Prince George and a deal being struck for him to head to Regina.

Also, rumours of Harkins is being forced to deal his son and the coaches son because ownership is sick of the nepotism and bad look on organization.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #14
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Bean to Tri-City. Coming back Carson Focht Dakota Krebs, a second-round pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, a first-round selection in 2019 and a 2020 second-round pick.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna be interesting (at least to me haha) to see what the Tigers do for trades.

They are leading their division, but are probably only the 4th or 5th best team in the East and they have one '97 born Dman and four '98 born Dmen which doesn't bode well for them next year when their young crop of forwards will be much deeper and they'll have Hollett as a top goalie at 19 years old.

Might be smart to sell guys Quenneville and Gerlach down the stretch here to get a more picks and maybe a decent '00 born Dman or two. Probably won't though, as I said they are leading the division and are supposed to get Shaw back late in the season which would be a big boost.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Jake Bean to Tri-City. Coming back Carson Focht Dakota Krebs, a second-round pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, a first-round selection in 2019 and a 2020 second-round pick.
Was really hoping Moose Jaw could nab him. Explains why they made the trade with Red Deer for Schuldhaus.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #17
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Was really hoping Moose Jaw could nab him. Explains why they made the trade with Red Deer for Schuldhaus.
Two 2nd round picks for Schuldhaus is kind of nuts if you ask me, though outside of the Gabriel trade, prices have been real high.

This has to be one of the bigger trades of recent memory. Lethbridge sends Giorgio Estephan, Stuart Skinner and Tanner Nagel to Swift Current. In return, the Broncos are sending Logan Barlage, Logan Flodell, Owen Blocker and Matthew Stanley. Lethbridge also receives a first-round and a third-round selection in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft as well as a future conditional second-round pick in the 2021 WHL Bantam Draft.I understand why they did it, but I'm not much of a Skinner fan.

The East is nuts this yr, rumour mill has Bradon making a significant deal with Prince Albert before Wednesday but who knows.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap haha
Old 01-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Two 2nd round picks for Schuldhaus is kind of nuts if you ask me, though outside of the Gabriel trade, prices have been real high.

This has to be one of the bigger trades of recent memory. Lethbridge sends Giorgio Estephan, Stuart Skinner and Tanner Nagel to Swift Current. In return, the Broncos are sending Logan Barlage, Logan Flodell, Owen Blocker and Matthew Stanley. Lethbridge also receives a first-round and a third-round selection in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft as well as a future conditional second-round pick in the 2021 WHL Bantam Draft.I understand why they did it, but I'm not much of a Skinner fan.

The East is nuts this yr, rumour mill has Bradon making a significant deal with Prince Albert before Wednesday but who knows.
I think Skinner was part of the deal to prevent MJ from getting him. There's no other real upgrades, and goaltending is going to hurt us in the playoffs. There's no way we could get Hart for anything remotely reasonable.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #20
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I think Skinner was part of the deal to prevent MJ from getting him. There's no other real upgrades, and goaltending is going to hurt us in the playoffs. There's no way we could get Hart for anything remotely reasonable.
How has Barlage looked this year? Former 4th OA in the bantam draft and a 16 year old. Hoping hes a good add for the canes future especially when we already have a 16 year old tearing it up this year.