Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #41
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is the provincial map. The City of Calgary also posts flood inundation maps for the following scenarios:You may have to click "try again" after clicking the link to get them to show up. I gather the 100 year is basically what 2013 was.

The Province's map is somewhat less pessimistic than the city's 50 and 100 year maps. The place I just bought is fine according to the province's map, but the surrounding areas are subject to local flooding (light blue) on the 50 year map and inundation (dark blue) on the 100 year map. However, my house itself isn't coloured in - not sure what that means if everything around it is inundated. Maybe it's slightly elevated I guess?
Thanks. Looks like i'd be alright at 5th avenue and 20th street and that vicinity.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that should be fine for flooding. Plus the creosote bloom underground should displace water seepage from the ground. You'll be fine!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #43
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flood outlook slide for 2017 from the city, note the current year snow water equivalent. Keeping pace with the upper quartile and way above the normal trend.

Based on this slide I'm going to move the FLOODTRON level from 5 to 4. FLOODTRON 4 people.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-04-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #44
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I doubt we will get 130 mm of rain in 24 hours again to cause the flooding.
Even if we do get that much rain it's doubtful to cause another flood anything near like that one, the rain was just the final straw, heavier than normal snowfall over the winter/spring with a shorter/later than normal melt period saturated the soils of the foothills, because of the soils natural up slope to the west southern Alberta got caught in somewhat a toilet bowl effect. gravity happens.

It'll happen again but likely many many years from now.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

In terms of local infrastructure projects, we NEED a dam in Springbank much more than we need a new arena.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Mountain runoff forecasts (natural volumes for March to September 2017)

Bow River basin Mountain snowpack

Bow River basin: Generally above average to much above average, ranging from 99% at Highwood Summit Bush to 139% at Chateau Lawn (21 sites surveyed). Low variability – the average and median of the 21 sites is 116%.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/fo.../overview.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #47
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still get a kick out of this article...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle24954511/

I went to Bear Pond yesterday and there's about three feet of snow in the trees...that's not very high up at all. Amazing amount of snow.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 AM   #48
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah, the snowpack right now in the mountains looks like a lot. Just my visual take.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #49
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of interesting opinion pieces from Maclean's:

It's time we stopped paying for your river view.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/i...ur-river-view/

Floodplain living isn't a luxury. It's a reality we have to deal with.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/f...-to-deal-with/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #50
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Special weather statement issued for Alberta as wind, rain forecast to sweep across province

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...sory-1.4126977

I'm going to hold us at Floodtron level 4 still. Not a huge amount of rainfall forecast for Calgary.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #51
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting reads from Macleans (which I usually dislike, so that was a bit of a surprise). I'm always torn on issues like this. On the one hand, when disaster strikes, everyone pulling together to help those in need, including financial help, is part of what makes us a civilized society. On the other hand, I feel a bit ripped off when my insurance rates go up because someone else's home along the river floods.

I still think the humanitarian angle always wins, but it is a good thought piece when people are somewhat setting themselves up for disaster (building on flood plains, earthquake fault lines, etc.)
Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #52
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living in Sunnyside its always stressful now until pretty much early July. I'm keeping a close eye on the river everytime I walk home from work.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a bit to early to be concerned about floods, the peak flow usually occurs around June 10-25ish. I just don't think there is enough melting upstream to be an issue with this storm. Plus the dams are all empty, awaiting water. I was up at Minnewanka on Saturday, it's pretty low! Worst case, it snows more adding to the potential melt. There is a lot of snow up high right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #54
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
In terms of local infrastructure projects, we NEED a dam in Springbank much more than we need a new arena.
Dam's aren't very useful in controlling peak flow. Frank, the guy in the video above, related it to trying to contain the flow from a fire hose with a tea cup. Obviously you have much more flexibility with a dam upstream than you do with the Glenmore Reservoir as you are always worried about holding back enough drinking water but I always thought their best bet was the overflow from the reservoir down 50th towards the bow. At that discharge point in the Bow there is plenty of capacity.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #55
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Interesting reads from Macleans (which I usually dislike, so that was a bit of a surprise). I'm always torn on issues like this. On the one hand, when disaster strikes, everyone pulling together to help those in need, including financial help, is part of what makes us a civilized society. On the other hand, I feel a bit ripped off when my insurance rates go up because someone else's home along the river floods.

I still think the humanitarian angle always wins, but it is a good thought piece when people are somewhat setting themselves up for disaster (building on flood plains, earthquake fault lines, etc.)
Perhaps a possible way to deal with the matter of people continually building (and re-building) in damage-prone areas is to continue to offer government-provided insurance to such people (priced as if the insurance were to cover 100% of the rebuild cost), but coupled with deductibles equal to at least 60% of the rebuild cost, the amount of which must be kept in cash by the homeowner in a government account.

When a disaster strikes, the insurance policy covers 40% of the rebuild cost, and the homeowner's cash set-aside covers the remaining 60% of the rebuild cost. The "excess" premium cost of the insurance (as it would be priced on providing 100% coverage but it would, in reality, only provide 40% coverage) would go towards other government funding initiatives, whether to mitigate future disasters, pay for other programs, or reduce overall tax burdens.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #56
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really understand why springbank is a better option than buying one or more of the existing bow river dams from Transalta and leaving it empty unless there's a flood.

Is there a reason I'm missing?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #57
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happened to the giant flood tunnel from the Glenmore reservoir to the bow river south of Calgary? That seemed "ambitious".
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I don't really understand why springbank is a better option than buying one or more of the existing bow river dams from Transalta and leaving it empty unless there's a flood.

Is there a reason I'm missing?
The Springbank dam would be on the Elbow River, not the Bow.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
What happened to the giant flood tunnel from the Glenmore reservoir to the bow river south of Calgary? That seemed "ambitious".
I think I remember reading that yes, it was ambitious and wouldn't be as effective as the Springbank plan.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #60
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think I remember reading that yes, it was ambitious and wouldn't be as effective as the Springbank plan.
The problem with the tunnel is it doesn't solve the problem, it only transfers it. If you bypass the reservoir, the people downstream of the tunnel outlet point will get much higher peak flows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support the dam either, it's an extremely costly project that only helps a small portion of the population downstream of the Glenmore reservoir. A much more effective use of the $250 million would be to demo all the homes in the Elbow river flood plain, and turn it back into parkland so that the flood waters wouldn't rise nearly as high. It's a radical idea, but those homes never should have been built there in the first place.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote