Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #41
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

^ sure, ebbs and flows.

4 years of alternating quitting on the coach and choking

As for Fleury, the Sharks appeared to me to get an extra emotional boost due to the circumstances. That was jarring in real time. Pavelski looked like he could be dead. The Vegas guy gets 5 and a game, so he has pretty much viciously attacked Pavelski when they were up by 3 with 10 to go and nearly killed him, right?

Seemed like seeing him down like that rattled Vegas as well.

Except no, it was a fluke. You could make the case it didn’t even deserve 2 minutes. Can the Sharks get a fire lit under them like they did if they knew Joe got hurt in a fluky landing in a fall? And there was no penalty, or maybe 2 min for pushing? Not likely.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #42
Igottago
Franchise Player
 
Igottago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sometimes the first round is the hardest or most unpredictable. After that, the better teams normally play to their capabilities?
Agree with this. First round has always been tough.
But not get run over by a wild card team while fawning over one player like he's jesus tough.

If the Flames had lost a tight series in 7 or even 6 games the reaction would have been different. Instead they rolled out the red carpet for Mackinnon and were more than willing to leave the series without remembering they are NHL players too and can actually push back.

I mentioned it before but Gio's interview at the end of the series spoke volumes to me about the team's mentality. Love what he did this year but gushing over an opposition player like there's nothing you can do about it was kind of disappointing.

This team won their cup when the clinched the conference and weren't ready for the playoffs, at all.
__________________
A few weeks after crashing head-first into the boards (denting his helmet and being unable to move for a little while) following a hit from behind by Bob Errey, the Calgary Flames player explains:

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #43
The Cobra
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

The Flames got crushed by Colorado, who then lost to a team (San Jose) that only got into the 2nd round based on an outrageous call.

There is zero reason to dream about "what could have been" because that scenario is so far from reality.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #44
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The Flames got crushed by Colorado, who then lost to a team (San Jose) that only got into the 2nd round based on an outrageous call.

There is zero reason to dream about "what could have been" because that scenario is so far from reality.
I mean, the call was outrageous... but you can't resolve a 7-game series on one call.

And they did score 4


It definitely is Vegas in the 2nd Round if the call isn't made, albeit. But if you battle to a game 7, then rally for 4 to win it there's a lot more there than a terrible terrible terrible call.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #45
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Agree with this. First round has always been tough.
But not get run over by a wild card team while fawning over one player like he's jesus tough.

If the Flames had lost a tight series in 7 or even 6 games the reaction would have been different. Instead they rolled out the red carpet for Mackinnon and were more than willing to leave the series without remembering they are NHL players too and can actually push back.

I mentioned it before but Gio's interview at the end of the series spoke volumes to me about the team's mentality. Love what he did this year but gushing over an opposition player like there's nothing you can do about it was kind of disappointing.

This team won their cup when the clinched the conference and weren't ready for the playoffs, at all.
They also did hardly anything back offensively, played scared against the Big Bad Avs and rarely played anywhere near the net
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #46
Igottago
Franchise Player
 
Igottago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
They also did hardly anything back offensively, played scared against the Big Bad Avs and rarely played anywhere near the net
Agreed. I meant push back overall, not just defending against Mackinnon.
The most disappointing thing to me was that as soon as the Flames sensed that the series wasn't going to be easy, they essentially crumbled and it was over. I think that's why the fans have had such a tough time with this loss. Its not the loss itself but the way it happened.

I've been saying since the Flames lost that the Avs would be out in round 2. They put up a good fight but they just aren't that deep of a team. The fact that they steamrolled the Flames easily is still mystifying.
__________________
A few weeks after crashing head-first into the boards (denting his helmet and being unable to move for a little while) following a hit from behind by Bob Errey, the Calgary Flames player explains:

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #47
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Agreed. I meant push back overall, not just defending against Mackinnon.
The most disappointing thing to me was that as soon as the Flames sensed that the series wasn't going to be easy, they essentially crumbled and it was over. I think that's why the fans have had such a tough time with this loss. Its not the loss itself but the way it happened.

I've been saying since the Flames lost that the Avs would be out in round 2. They put up a good fight but they just aren't that deep of a team. The fact that they steamrolled the Flames easily is still mystifying.
Funny enough, watching the Avs last night you could feel that they just condensed that same thing into 2 periods. As soon as Mac went down the season was over and pushback was in little fits. That 2-2 goal came out of nowhere and would have been an interesting opportunity to reset. Alas, they got that huge off-side advantage

It just really is wanting it more, as much as I agree NHLers all want it to a certain degree to even be there. Girard and Kale dictating play for good parts of that series showed that physical dominance shouldn't be an unanswerable attribute. And Colorado had no business making that a series in the first place. But they did... and gave the Sharks more than the Flames gave them.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #48
The Cobra
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I mean, the call was outrageous... but you can't resolve a 7-game series on one call.

And they did score 4


It definitely is Vegas in the 2nd Round if the call isn't made, albeit. But if you battle to a game 7, then rally for 4 to win it there's a lot more there than a terrible terrible terrible call.
I hear what you say, but the series result changed because of that call. That's a fact.

You can say that SJ put themselves into the position where they could take advantage of an outrageous call, but in a crucial game 7, LV was by far the better team, in complete control of that game, prior to the call.

But we really digress from the main point. Calgary lost to a team that lost to a team that should have lost their initial series.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

If this team can upgrade it's goaltending (I realize that's not why they lost in round one) I'm perfectly happy to go forward with the roster as-is with a few tweaks. However if Lighting or Leafs fans and managment are feeling the same as fans in this thread and want to blow up their roster then I'm sure Treliving would happily take some of their players off their hands. It's a fact in sports that sometimes the best rosters don't win on a year to year basis.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #50
Igottago
Franchise Player
 
Igottago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

It'll also be interesting to see how these playoffs have affected the players themselves. In a sense the Flames got found out. Do they come out with confidence or trepidation next season? Of course it depends on what roster changes happen over the off season, but it's not an automatic that they are the cream of the western conference again.
__________________
A few weeks after crashing head-first into the boards (denting his helmet and being unable to move for a little while) following a hit from behind by Bob Errey, the Calgary Flames player explains:

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #51
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

The Flames never found their mojo against the Aves. They never really had that event that they could rally and build off of. Instead anytime they manged to gain any traction, they failed to play with the any confidence.

I still think if Hathaway scores to make it go up 3-1 when the net was empty in game 4 it helps the team rally and helps feed that 3rd period mojo that they had in the regular season.

To answer the question, I think yes they would have had a real chance because teams that get to the second round, chances are they are playing how they need to.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #52
Matata
First Line Centre
 
Matata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Exp:
Default

Flames were probably the worst team in the first round, except maybe Pitts for being swept by a team that got swept.
Matata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #53
Jiri Hrdina
Moderator
 
Jiri Hrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
I was just thinking that for all the talk that has been about this year being an "easy" year to make it to the finals through the Western Conference, a road consisting of Colorado, San Jose and then St. Louis in the Conference finals does not feel any easier than any other year really. These are good teams, and both San Jose and St. Louis seem to be on a mission. To beat any of them, the Flames would have to be on a mission too, which we certainly weren't these playoffs.
In the NHL now there are now easy paths. Every team that makes the playoffs is a good one. By records the Avs were the worst team, but by talent level they were still dangerous.
But when you look across both conferences, there are simply no easy outs.
Doesn't excuse what was a poor effort in the first round, without question.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #54
Beninho
Franchise Player
 
Beninho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default Would the Flames beat these Sharks in Round 2? (2019 Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Depends. Which Flames' team shows up?

We were not ready for the playoffs, and that still bothers me and will still bother me until game 1 of season 19-20.


Unfortunately, and I think many agree with me on this site, I wonít be putting much stock in the regular season. My fears will be relieved when this team shows they can beat a team not named the Canucks in the first round. I was convinced that we wouldnít see another embarrassing performance like the Ducks series in 2017, and boy was I wrong. It truly does suck because no matter what they do in the regular season next year I donít think I will care. Just like how this core didnít give a #### about the playoffs I wonít give a #### about the regular season. I really hate it because I truly love the flames but the players did not respect the logo on the jersey with how they played, starting with Gio unfortunately.

That was the most pathetic performance Iíve seen by the Flames in my years as a fan. Couldnít of been more disgusted. I donít know what was worse, watching the Hamonic-Hanifin pairing float around the entire series, johnny and Seanís non existent cohesion or fight, or Tkachuk ####ting his pants and being a no show after he got hit in game 1. I held off venting my frustration about this series, but now being close to a month removed from the series my thoughts havenít changed. A truly disgraceful performance from every player and coach on the roster. We made the Avs look like the Golden State warriors of hockey, what in the actual #### was this team doing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 05-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #55
taxbuster
Powerplay Quarterback
 
taxbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

I'm not going to live in the past with this question.

However:
I HOPE THE FLAMES (AND COACHES!) ARE WATCHING **HOW HARD** EVERY TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS IS WORKING!!

In the various games I've watched some of, mostly out of curiosity, I've noticed a couple of things have been highly evident .. regardless of the series (first or second round, east or west):

- next to no "floating" or huge swoops, glides and waiting for pucks to arrive. It's been straight at the puck carrier, and through him if possible.

- very little in the way of "lite" checking. They've been hitting. Hard. A lot.

- no vision for goalies. Lots of guys in front, lots of tips, lots of blocks.

- shoot from everywhere any time you get a chance - especially late in the game or OT.

- relentless pressure

While not every team on every shift, I haven't seen much letup at any time. The Flames fell FAR short of this mark. And lost as a result.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #56
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
This year, the NHL has been filled with craziness and unfortunately the Flames were among them as the 4 division winners lost in the first round.

One of the 4 teams still standing were last in the standings on January 2nd.
What about the Sharks and Martin Jones and his putrid GAA in the season?
Avs had lost 18 out of 23 in one stretch.
Fleury gives up 4 goals in what 10 minutes?? Normally he gives that in a 2 week period!
Blake Fn Comeau was one of the most dynamic Stars players on game 7!
The jerks are in the final four but yet I wouldn't trade their roster against the Flames.

Yes it was sad to lose in 5 but watching the 82 games before that was entertaining as hell.

Maybe next year they'll just go through the motions in the regular season and then just rev it up in the p/o.

These are all NHL players who had to fight through numerous challenges to make it to the big league so I have a hard time to buy in to this "they don't have it in them"

ebbs and flows man, ebbs and flows.
It all comes down to who 'flows' in mid April to June.

Often that team wouldn't have won a November playoffs or a February playoffs. Basically the season and league are a ####show and a crapshoot, aside from the reliability of Edmonton perennially sucking.

I will say that Boston and San Jose have sort of learned how to elevate at the right time despite how iffy they may look some seasons. They just make sure to get their ticket to the show somehow then make the most of it, at least a couple rounds most seasons.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #57
Shazam
Franchise Player
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memento Mori
Exp:
Default

The Sharks players have been told that if they don't make the playoffs, no one will show up during the regular season and the team will fold.
__________________
If you don't pass this sig to ten of your friends, you will become an Oilers fan.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016