Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #3501
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Calgary to New York City - $318 CAD roundtrip including taxes | non-stop flights

This price is possible because of a '30% off' promo code that WestJet is offering in honor of the new international terminal at YYC airport, opening today.

The promo code works on a large variety of international destinations from YYC. It expires today at 10PM.

Some info on the promo code, including list of destinations and blackout dates:

https://www.westjet.com/guest/en/dis...ode:30-yvr-tbi

The real discount is probably closer to 15% off the total price. On a route that was already a great deal at $360-something, it helps bring down the price a little more.

Blog post on using the code for roundtrip flights to New York for $318

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-new-y...n-stop-flights

-
Just booked for February when the Flames are in town! Awesome deal!
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #3502
sameg87
Draft Pick

A couple friends and I have to use up some vacation by the end of the year. We've kinda left it last minute and are looking to travel November 11-20.

Anyone have any recommendations?
sameg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #3503
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameg87 View Post
A couple friends and I have to use up some vacation by the end of the year. We've kinda left it last minute and are looking to travel November 11-20.

Anyone have any recommendations?
What type of vacation are you looking for? (Golf, partying, beach, hikes, etc)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #3504
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Leaf is now offering flights to Phoenix starting in 2017 for cheap. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nton-1.3853936
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #3505
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
New Leaf is now offering flights to Phoenix starting in 2017 for cheap. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nton-1.3853936

The prices look good, they are truly no frills though. Everything is charged for, including getting your boarding pass if you do it at the airport.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #3506
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, YYCDeals had a Calgary to Paris flight for 2017 listed about a month ago for around $600 but I can't recreate it at all.

I can never seem to recreate the flight deals on that site. God damn voodoo.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #3507
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Damn, YYCDeals had a Calgary to Paris flight for 2017 listed about a month ago for around $600 but I can't recreate it at all.

They got an Amsterdam one up now for $639 RT. Haven't been back to the red light district in couple years..
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #3508
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm, I was going to use Paris as a hop point to Madrid, but I guess Amsterdam would work too.

But now I'm thinking an Amsterdam, Belgium, Paris trip might be interesting
Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #3509
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Seeing fares for as low as $200 round trip to Phoenix. Not bad. Might be worth flying to Abbotsford (also as low as $200) and renting a car to drive down to Seattle.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #3510
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

Hi,

Are you on the e-mail alerts list? Once the word gets out, the really amazing airfares generally last around 12 to 48 hours these days, before the demand pushes the price back up. The key is to look into the deal very soon after it's posted.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #3511
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
They got an Amsterdam one up now for $639 RT. Haven't been back to the red light district in couple years..
Such a great deal.

Im looking at AMS trip around christmas. about 1500 - 2000
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #3512
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hi,

Are you on the e-mail alerts list? Once the word gets out, the really amazing airfares generally last around 12 to 48 hours these days, before the demand pushes the price back up. The key is to look into the deal very soon after it's posted.
I'm not, I'll just check the site more aggressively I guess.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #3513
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy peasy signing up for the email alert. Just the deals come through so you are not going to have to wade through junk email. Took advantage of the deal to London that was posted in the summer. Had I not gone on that I would be all over this one!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #3514
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris,

I see that Westjet is matching the $198 flights to Mesa (as posted on your webpage); yet they aren't even showing up on their website? Is that because they don't want to undercut their own prices to Phoenix? Are these separate charter flights or something?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #3515
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Chris,

I see that Westjet is matching the $198 flights to Mesa (as posted on your webpage); yet they aren't even showing up on their website? Is that because they don't want to undercut their own prices to Phoenix? Are these separate charter flights or something?
It's possible they're purposefully not making them available on WestJet.com and that could definitely be a reason why. But they certainly weren't shy about releasing a press announcement regarding the 'new route'.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...602246095.html

"We are proud of our expanding network of more than 100 cities in over 20 countries, and our reputation as an established, trusted brand with more than two decades of service to Canadians," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Commercial.

"We have provided hundreds of thousands of our guests with non-stop service between Canada and Phoenix since 2004, and now look forward to bringing low fares and our signature brand of caring, friendly service to our second destination in Arizona."

"And, oh yeah, we want to drive New Leaf into the ground," Cummings added with a smirk.

The other thought I had was that this was such a last minute decision, to compete directly with New Leaf's new route, that they haven't even had time to add them, or update their own website, with the ability to search them.

Once they load the fares into a GDS system (global distribution system) for airfares, they start to become available on other booking sites, like FlightHub and FlightNetwork where they are starting to appear now.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #3516
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's possible they're purposefully not making them available on WestJet.com and that could definitely be a reason why. But they certainly weren't shy about releasing a press announcement regarding the 'new route'.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...602246095.html
Thanks -- from the link it also states:

Seats will be available for purchase by calling WestJet at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET) and through travel agencies as of 12 p.m. MST on Monday, November 21, and on westjet.com as of 12 p.m. MST on Tuesday, November 22

Too bad both CGY @ ARI games are in December...

EDIT: EDIT: They are now showing on WestJet's website. Destination is "Phoenix/Mesa" -- not sure what that means for all their flights originally scheduled for Phoenix (Sky Harbor).

Last edited by tvp2003; 11-22-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #3517
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do people have any success going after baggage fees is your luggage doesn't arrive for 2 days after you arrive somewhere? Simple flight to Toronto but one bag didn't show up, had to make arrangements with a local pharmacy for prescriptions. Air Canada agent was less than helpful while collecting payment for baggage fees for the return trip.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #3518
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, managed to get a pretty good deal for Calgary to Chengdu in the new year ($2700 CDN for the 4 of us).

Now, looking at the return flight, Chengdu -> Tokyo (NRT) -> Vancouver -> Calgary. We only have a 1.5 hour layover in Tokyo. Is this a little tight, or should we be fine making this connection? All flights out on that day all had the same layover and duration at NRT. I am just hoping that we don't need to wait for our luggage, clear customs, and walk 5 km to the departure gate.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #3519
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

What would be a good price range for Calgary - Quito, Ecuador in July / August? Willing to pay a bit more for one connection or to avoid lesser known South American airlines.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #3520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We took United, one stop in Houston. Can't remember the price, and it was a few years ago, but check that route. Now, they did lose one of our bags, but I'm sure that was Air Canada's fault at some point.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote