Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #1241
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

1917 was spectacular. Movie of 2019 for me, or best movie of 2020 depending on how you count it (better than Underwater). 9.5/10. I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as well, and both are worthy of winning Best Picture... but like Komskies up there I'm a sucker for war movies, particularly anything done by the master Roger Deakins.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #1242
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
1917 was spectacular. Movie of 2019 for me, or best movie of 2020 depending on how you count it (better than Underwater). 9.5/10. I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as well, and both are worthy of winning Best Picture... but like Komskies up there I'm a sucker for war movies, particularly anything done by the master Roger Deakins.

The more I read about it the more I want to see it.

I'm really looking forward to it, especially because of the way in which it was filmed.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #1243
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I saw it last night, went in thinking it would be a cliched gimmicky straightforward war movie. And half of it was. The other half I'm not sure what to make of. I kind of suspect it was some sort of dream or mystical journey. Unless there's a gorge and a 50-ft waterfall in the Pas de Calais I don't know about.

6.5/10

Bad
-the only memorable character was the officer in the first trench.
-bad CGI (only two spots, but it really stood out to me)
-lots of cliches and tropes

Good
-good visuals
-lots of symbolic imagery

Also interesting that it takes place the same day America joins the war and three days before Vimy Ridge. The Newfies get a shoutout too.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #1244
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how close 1917 will be in tone to The Thin Red Line. In repeated viewings TRL was superior to Saving Private Ryan, but the first viewing came across as pretty pretentious and different. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #1245
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just took the family to see Jumanji - Next Level.

I didn't think they could outdo the first, yet I found myself enjoying this one alot more than the first (Rock one). My 5 year old laughed so hard and much from start to end, that he lost his voice.

Highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #1246
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Solid year for movies, went on a solid run over the holidays. Watched Once upon a time in Hollywood several times and it gets better for me on repeated viewings, Tarantino’s most technically impressive film. Knives Out was fun as hell, Irishman was brilliant, and Uncut Gems was an uncomfortable rush. Really loved Parasite, gut punch of a film, and just finished Midsommar tonight, which was two hours of straight dread, yet somehow enjoyed it.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #1247
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I wonder how close 1917 will be in tone to The Thin Red Line. In repeated viewings TRL was superior to Saving Private Ryan, but the first viewing came across as pretty pretentious and different. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

You watched The Thin Red Line multiple times? I would have rather fought in the actual war than ever have to sit through that boring piece of trash again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #1248
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
You watched The Thin Red Line multiple times? I would have rather fought in the actual war than ever have to sit through that boring piece of trash again.

Thin Red Line is very good but this made me laugh.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #1249
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post

It was elegiac, that apparently excuses everything
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #1250
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It was elegiac, that apparently excuses everything
This applies to every Malick film...

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #1251
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Uncut Gems" by the Safdie brothers. Holy sh...t, that's a good movie! Keeps you on the edge of your seat for 2 hours. Sandler delivers Oscar-quality performance. Who would have thought he's capable?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #1252
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
This applies to every Malick film...
and every Peckinpah film before that
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #1253
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw 1917 this afternoon, and it's indeed an excellent film that really immerses you in the period. Beautiful cinematography as well.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #1254
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Anyone seen underwater yet?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #1255
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ford vs. Ferrari - really solid movie. Almost any Christian Bale movie turns out great. It wasn't overdone acting like Rush years back. Just a solid flick, worthy of an Oscar.

Uncut Gems - another great movie, which for some reason gives you a genuine sense of anxiety to follow the main character around as he's hustling. Sandler has always been a good actor but finally chooses a good serious role. Good acting, good character development.

Jojo Rabbit - awesome acting, solid story - light throughout but serious when you least expect it to put it in perspective through a child's eyes. Though it's light it really shows how f'ed up those times were where a kid could just end up homeless instantly. Really well done.

Knives Out - fun movie, good acting and good story, with a decent enough ending.

Parasite - only heard of it through here and the Oscars, but another great story.

After all these years, I can't think of another year where there were so many good character development movies at years end. I'm happy with that. Then there was disjointed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (surely Tarantino's worst), and somehow that was nominated for best picture? Odd.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #1256
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 'The Report' on Prime last night. Thought it was a pretty good movie that went into the details pretty well. Probably give it a 7/10.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #1257
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
"Uncut Gems" by the Safdie brothers. Holy sh...t, that's a good movie! Keeps you on the edge of your seat for 2 hours. Sandler delivers Oscar-quality performance. Who would have thought he's capable?
When in serious roles he's done really well.

He got really good critical responses in both Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me too.

I think he just chooses not to do the more serious roles because his comedies still seem to make money no matter how bad they are.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #1258
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
When in serious roles he's done really well.

He got really good critical responses in both Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me too.

I think he just chooses not to do the more serious roles because his comedies still seem to make money no matter how bad they are.
It's been a good career for Sandler. Ignoring critics while just making fun movies with his friends.
Other than having to develop a thick skin, he hasn't had to suffer too much for his art.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #1259
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Sandler is one of the greats.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #1260
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Sandler is my hero. Picks a serious role every few years to show he's got real chops and spends the rest of his time making easy movies that are little more than paid vacations, and make a ton of money. He has to have the lowest stress level of anyone in Hollywood
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: