Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #761
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
TechRadar has a "Hands-On" review of the 2080Ti from Gamescom up:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nv...ce-rtx-2080-ti

No benchmarks yet (since they got to try it on the event PCs at the NVidia booth) but 50-57 FPS @ 4K with RT turned on for Tomb Raider sounds pretty great on a single card.
What I really want to see is how Nvlink works compared to SLI, I would really like to do a horizontal closed loop build with two cards but it hasn't been worth the cost.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #762
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on some Quatro results, NVLink could improve a lot of what SLI was lacking.

Things like cross-card memory access (effectively doubling VRAM) and BIOS "single-card" recognition features really intrigue me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #763
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Based on some Quatro results, NVLink could improve a lot of what SLI was lacking.

Things like cross-card memory access (effectively doubling VRAM) and BIOS "single-card" recognition features really intrigue me.
NVlink making PC Gaming Hobby great again. Isn't that what was great about PC gaming was being able to dump as much or as little into a rig but seeing those gains.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #764
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a 1080 ti earlier this year for ~$1,100. It's a beast of a card - I do have a bit of envy for the new cards, but I know this card will last me a long time, and if you're always going to wait for the next new item to come out, you'll never build anything.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #765
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you gotta buy when you gotta buy.

Generally I always ensure I have the cash on hand for a ~$1000 card when I assume there's going to be a launch (so, since around June this year since those were the initial rumblings) and then see where thing are at after a year for a SLI-type addition (if worth the effort).

Intel not releasing anything worthwhile on the CPU front for the last 2 gens has made not upgrading that a pretty easy choice as well.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #766
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

New blog post by nvidia with charts showing a 2x 4K increase from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/0...00000003301662

Also includes a blanket statement that "RTX will do 4K 60 FPS in all modern titles. Period."

Feeling pretty okay about a 2080 purchase over a 2080 Ti now. The Ti's stats will probably be pretty staggering however. But 400$ USD staggering?

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 08-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #767
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's an impressive array and will make clean work of my 3440x1440 setup, I'm probably going to get a 2080ti but not until late fall.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #768
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really intrigued by the performance gains in DLSS-enabled titles. FFXV already looked pretty great on my 4K HDR TV (though I stopped playing because of some weird crashing issue), but I had to disable like half the shadowmaps and other functions to get it to run smooth with VSync on. Would be nice to have everything up including VSync...

...or maybe it's time to buy a FreeSync TV....

Quote:
Old 08-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #769
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm maybe I will get that PG27UQ monitor after all.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #770
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...hout-ai-cores/

Timespy score leaked for what could be a 2070 or a 2080 (likely the latter).

Not utilizing the 1/3 of the die dedicated to DLSS, it still beats a 1080 by ~37% in the synthetic, which is actually better than the launch scaling we saw for 980 -> 1080 (27%), 780 -> 980 (31%) and 680 -> 780 (23%).

Pretty cool.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #771
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's everyone's preferred method/software for benchmarking games and checking performance? I booted up Far Cry Primal last night for the first time and was pretty shocked at the FPS spikes/drops in their benchmark test, especially considering only about 45% of my VRAM was being used. I could hit 60fps> @ 1080p on ultra settings but it was pretty unstable and would drop as low as 35-40 at times. I now want to go into some of my other games and see what the performance is looking like.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #772
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What's everyone's preferred method/software for benchmarking games and checking performance? I booted up Far Cry Primal last night for the first time and was pretty shocked at the FPS spikes/drops in their benchmark test, especially considering only about 45% of my VRAM was being used. I could hit 60fps> @ 1080p on ultra settings but it was pretty unstable and would drop as low as 35-40 at times. I now want to go into some of my other games and see what the performance is looking like.
I'll use Firestrike/Timespy to set a baseline, BF1 for realworld, Resident Evil 7 for HDR baseline, and FFXV for a framedrop test.

Edit: PUBG is pretty good for a "can it run smooth" test

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 08-28-2018 at 05:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #773
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll use Firestrike/Timespy to set a baseline, BF1 for realworld, Resident Evil 7 for HDR baseline, and FFXV for a framedrop test.

Edit: PUBG is pretty good for a "can it run smooth" test
Haha I only own BF1 out of those game and it's currently not installed.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #774
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up installing some updated drivers and making sure games were in game mode when I was playing. Was pumping out 150fps in FIFA, which I found amusing. Far Cry Primal still wasn't great though. Could get up to 75fps on ultra but there were some tearing issues, so I enabled vsync. Solved the tearing issues but then had to drop the graphics down to very high to consistently get 60fps. Very much a first world problem but I may try to overclock the gpu a bit tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #775
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Ended up installing some updated drivers and making sure games were in game mode when I was playing. Was pumping out 150fps in FIFA, which I found amusing. Far Cry Primal still wasn't great though. Could get up to 75fps on ultra but there were some tearing issues, so I enabled vsync. Solved the tearing issues but then had to drop the graphics down to very high to consistently get 60fps. Very much a first world problem but I may try to overclock the gpu a bit tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
What's your current GPU?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #776
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
What's your current GPU?
RX 480 8GB. Came out the same year as Primal so you'd think it'd be able to handle it on max settings, especially since it had no problem handling other AAA titles from around the same time at those levels but maybe not. I did some poking around online and I've seen quite a few reports from people complaining about framerate issues in Primal and also now in Far Cry 5, despite having top of line the GPUs, so could be a Ubisoft issue perhaps.

EDIT: Looking at this link http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/1...-rx-480-review they were able to get 59 FPS on Primal at 1080p, so I'm not far off.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-29-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #777
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon is having a sale on Samsung 860 EVO SSDs if anyone is looking for an upgrade.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...=2U4EZSXEFDIYO
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #778
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
RX 480 8GB. Came out the same year as Primal so you'd think it'd be able to handle it on max settings, especially since it had no problem handling other AAA titles from around the same time at those levels but maybe not. I did some poking around online and I've seen quite a few reports from people complaining about framerate issues in Primal and also now in Far Cry 5, despite having top of line the GPUs, so could be a Ubisoft issue perhaps.

EDIT: Looking at this link http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/1...-rx-480-review they were able to get 59 FPS on Primal at 1080p, so I'm not far off.
Hmm, I swore off AMD years ago when the driver support began to effect gameplay in a major way. So sadly my overclocking know how is pretty well Nvidia exclusive until I take a deeper look at the new Navi' based cards due next year.

We really need some solid competition from AMD going forward, the cpu side of things is looking good for them though.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #779
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
Hmm, I swore off AMD years ago when the driver support began to effect gameplay in a major way. So sadly my overclocking know how is pretty well Nvidia exclusive until I take a deeper look at the new Navi' based cards due next year.

We really need some solid competition from AMD going forward, the cpu side of things is looking good for them though.
Yeah, was leaning towards the GTX 1060 when I originally built my rig but the 480 was on sale at the time and came with a free copy of Civ 6, so I decided to go with it. Overall I've been pretty happy with the card. The only issues I've had with it were some stability issues in Wolfenstein: New Order that were very easy to fix and now this framerate issue, which is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #780
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memory Express has the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB on sale for $230 atm. The PRO version is $560. From what I can tell, the difference in performance isn't huge. Am I missing something or should I jump all over the EVO? That's a great price.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote