Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #521
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an aside, I wanted to chime in a bit regarding the G-Sync/FreeSync discussion we were having a while back.

I actually bought a FreeSync monitor today, an LG 24MP59G-P (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX67307) which wasn't on a boxing day sale really, but ticked all the boxes required, since my wife's second monitor died last night, and I figured we'd give Freesync a trial on her PC (and upgrade her main monitor from a lousy TN panel to a snazzy IPS). She's weird and prefers 24" over 27", but that's her prerogative.

Firstly, the monitor is excellent for it's price point. Hits all the points for an IPS panel (deep blacks, solid contrast, just a bit of light bleed that you have to live with), and is solid out of the box. Only 75hz @ 1080p 24", but it's a significant upgrade from the ~5 year old Samsung 1080p panel she was using as her main (huge blue spectrum issue on that monitor, everything was "cool" tone, even on Warm).

After watching G-Sync (albeit at 144hz) and FreeSync (at 75hz) running the same programs beside each other, I still stand by my previous experience with FreeSync (which was based around having used them at friend's houses, but not side by side with my PC), in that while it's an inexpensive alternative, G-Sync is definitely the better tech, if not for having the larger goldilocks zone (G-Sync can dip to 30 fps without any frame skip, FreeSync can't go below 42 fps) and slightly stronger windowed mode capability (though I mean, who doesn't game in fullscreen?).

A reasonable option for those on a budget, FreeSync is now on my list as acceptable.

Also I really dig that monitor. Great features for the price, LG always kills it at the lower price bracket IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #522
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking at the 27" 4K monitors, but I'm not really interested in dual GPUs, so thinking maybe I should stick to 2560 x 1440 for now?

The PG279Q basically the one to get for that resolution, 27", G-Sync? There's the Acer, but I've read the build quality isn't as good with those.

I guess there's the PG348Q for wider, though I've never been sold on the curved monitors, not sure how much I'd like that.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #523
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could go in both PC and TV threads, but NVIDIA is partnering to launch 4K, 120hz, HDR, G-Sync, SHIELD-built in TVs this year. Hnnnnnngggg

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/monito...-display-bfgd/

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #524
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
This could go in both PC and TV threads, but NVIDIA is partnering to launch 4K, 120hz, HDR, G-Sync, SHIELD-built in TVs this year. Hnnnnnngggg

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/monito...-display-bfgd/
I would say $6000-7000?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #525
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If i had to spitball, 4K 120hz TVs of that size are currently around 3000 CDN, tack on 500 for the NVIDIA onboard ans then another 500 for premium badging, so 4000 give or take 500 is my guess.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #526
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm looking at something like the B7 or C7 (hoping for the best panels/picture quality here) and how the prices fell after their initial release to be the current $3000. At release though I believe they were probably at least $1000 more back in February? Maybe by mid to late 2019 or late 2019, I'd guess $4500ish (assuming a mid 2018 release).

More than happy to be totally wrong though.

Acer and ASUS delayed their 27" 4k monitors to 2018 as well. Apparently they're supposed to be in the $1500-$2000 US range. Not sure I'd bother with the 27" if I can pay the difference to get the 65".
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #527
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Well I decided to do a stop gap upgrade for now, not that this is a shabby upgrade or anything.

Asus Turbo GTX1070 TI 8GB
Asus Prime Z270K Mobo
i7-7700 3.6Ghz
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #528
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Well I decided to do a stop gap upgrade for now, not that this is a shabby upgrade or anything.

Asus Prime Z270K Mobo
i7-7700 3.6Ghz
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200
My life in PC gaming has been stop gap upgrading, I've never been able to do beast mode upgrades like Psycnet but that will change this year. That's a quality build though won't be disappointed in games with that.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #529
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah hehe so true, with all the stupid crypto mining, the high prices for RAM, I just said screw it and bought what I could afford for now.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #530
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah hehe so true, with all the stupid crypto mining, the high prices for RAM, I just said screw it and bought what I could afford for now.
Had a supervisor at work ask me about mining yesterday, went to memx and bought a mining PC on the weekend and was looking for info. These are the people buying up the hardware now but give it a couple months and the used hardware market will be flooded with all kinds of parts.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #531
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Asus Prime Z270K Mobo
i7-7700 3.6Ghz
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200
Pretty much my setup too and it's more than enough for anything out there right now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #532
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone here have any Corsair products? Specifically the ones with the RGB lighting? I have the K95 keyboard and matching mouse pad (Christmas presents) and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out the CUE2 software. Not as straightforward as I had hoped. Hoping someone has a good tutorial video they can suggest? Most of the ones I see on youtube are for the advanced user. I'm struggling on how to save lighting effects saved to my profile or the memory on the keyboard? And I seem to have lost the option on how to link the lighting on the keyboard to the mousepad.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #533
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So something odd started happening last night while playing FIFA on my PC. The game has always worked find but it has randomly started freezing in the middle of the match. It doesn't totally crash the application and sometimes my Xbox One controller will disconnect at the same time which then kicks me over to the "reconnect controller" screen and once I reconnect, I can unpause the game and start playing again. Sometimes however the controller stays connected and the only way I can get the game to resume is to power off the controller so it kicks me over to the "reconnect controller" screen again. All of my fans are working and the PC doesn't appear to be labouring in any other way, nor are there any loud noises coming from it. I'm going to download something to check the temperature of the CPU when I get home tonight, but anyone else have any guesses what could be causing this?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #534
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So something odd started happening last night while playing FIFA on my PC. The game has always worked find but it has randomly started freezing in the middle of the match. It doesn't totally crash the application and sometimes my Xbox One controller will disconnect at the same time which then kicks me over to the "reconnect controller" screen and once I reconnect, I can unpause the game and start playing again. Sometimes however the controller stays connected and the only way I can get the game to resume is to power off the controller so it kicks me over to the "reconnect controller" screen again. All of my fans are working and the PC doesn't appear to be labouring in any other way, nor are there any loud noises coming from it. I'm going to download something to check the temperature of the CPU when I get home tonight, but anyone else have any guesses what could be causing this?
I had a similar error when the USB port I was plugging the controller/controller dongle into was sharing a lane with my headset for reasons on an old motherboard.

If your mobo doesn't have enough USB lanes, this can sometimes cause issues. Try using a different USB port, preferably one of the primary 4 near your ethernet port.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #535
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a similar error when the USB port I was plugging the controller/controller dongle into was sharing a lane with my headset for reasons on an old motherboard.

If your mobo doesn't have enough USB lanes, this can sometimes cause issues. Try using a different USB port, preferably one of the primary 4 near your ethernet port.
I actually don't have a dongle for it because it's one of the newer models so it's just connected via bluetooth. I am wondering if something to do with my wireless keyboard is screwing things up. The spacebar randomly stopped working last weekend.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #536
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bluetooth modules are notoriously cheap when built into the motherboard as well, but it might be worth looking into a driver update for your Bluetooth receiver.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #537
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bluetooth modules are notoriously cheap when built into the motherboard as well, but it might be worth looking into a driver update for your Bluetooth receiver.
Haha, it's actually part of a wireless adapter (this one) I bought but I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #538
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Haha, it's actually part of a wireless adapter (this one) I bought but I'll look into that. Thanks.
I had a feeling you'd say that. Answer is the same though; uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for that device, and maybe update your BIOS/PCI-E drivers so your PCIE is on the up and up as well.

Depending on your motherboard/chipset, your PCI-E 4x/1x might share a lane with a SATA device, so you might want to check you don't have lane traffic.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #539
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone having trouble with Asus Aura after recent Microsoft update?

I can't get my color profiles to stay applied upon shutdown. Every time I restart my PC, the colors revert to default.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #540
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is anyone having trouble with Asus Aura after recent Microsoft update?

I can't get my color profiles to stay applied upon shutdown. Every time I restart my PC, the colors revert to default.
It happened to the MSI laptop steelseries keyboards too. Once an update was pushed the problem went away.

I now dread Windows 10 updates because it breaks something on my computer every time.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: