Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #2721
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I started collecting parts for a AM5 build... in the meantime there were some good deals I took advantage of to take the first and only build I've done so far to the end of the AM4 path.
Going from a 3600x and 2060 super to a 5800x3d and 12G 3080. I know I'll have to flash my BIOS, which I'm a little gun shy about but I don't think it'll be too bad? Never done so before. Motherboard is a MSI mag X570 tomahawk wifi, which has the BIOS flashback in case anything goes sideways -fingers crossed-
I'm using a 16G USB 2.0 to do so with. MSI recommends 32G or less, so I should be good here I hope.
Complete noob so I'm just going from YouTube videos and how to pages from the manufacturer. I picked up a 4k monitor for the AM5 build, will have the rest of the parts in time for the weekend so barring a beginners mistake I'm hoping to see what kind of gains I pick up and try higher resolution gaming.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #2722
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your FPS will depend on your DLSS settings but at quality it's still pretty easy to beat 60 I find.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #2723
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's funny is I went into BIOS to check the version I was running. Noticed the 32g of 3200mhz ram was running at the default 2133mhz. Could've swore I had XMP enabled after setting the PC up originally, but it was a while since I was in there.
Picked up a few FPS on like RDR2, Halo ect... but went from 75-ish FPS to 100-110 on Escape from Tarkov. Heard it draws heavily from the CPU and RAM so I guess that makes sense?
This was all at 1080. The setup allows me to mostly crank graphics settings, but sometimes have to dial them back on newer titles to get to a comfortable 70 or so frames.
I'm not going to be overclocking or anything. In the meantime keep gathering goodies for the next build. Kind of waiting to see when gen 5 storage comes out.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #2724
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna cross post this but this Dell monitor reviews pretty well. 4K, Gsync (compatible only though), 144hz

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell...or-accessories

$750. 10% off with 10%OFFMONITOR code. AND another 10% if you have ebates/rakuten.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-17-2022 at 11:33 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:30 AM   #2725
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks - the issue is really just that it's too small. I have a 43 in place already so I know it'll work.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #2726
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone think an i7-13700K could go any cheaper than $546.50 next week?

The sale ends on Sunday and shopRBC wouldn't admit to me whether or not they plan on putting it back on sale for next week. They don't charge PST either so like NewEgg that's another plus at buying from them.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:38 AM   #2727
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The only downside with that Dell monitor is the edge lighting, so the HDR is not going to be that great. There's also reports of image retention on the panel in that monitor, rtings didn't think it was that bad but something to be aware of.

Still a good price for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #2728
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whoever needs a 4090 FE should be able to buy one now. BestBuy has them ready for backorder with delivery by December 2nd.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-card/16531651
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #2729
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nice thanks, was able to order one!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #2730
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Nice thanks, was able to order one!
Nice! Now I have no guilt trying to install this over here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #2731
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grabbed an Alienware 34" 3440x1440 QD-OLED AW3423DW since they came back in stock today.

Excited to step up to QD-OLED and 1000m2 HDR at .1 GTG, too bad it takes a week to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #2732
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Grabbed an Alienware 34" 3440x1440 QD-OLED AW3423DW since they came back in stock today.

Excited to step up to QD-OLED and 1000m2 HDR at .1 GTG, too bad it takes a week to ship.
Isn't there a new model out? It ends in "DWF"?

The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #2733
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the afternoons I had to go work in my office instead of home and Best Buy decides to drop 30 4090s today.

It was one of those days too where I wasn't even sitting at my computer most of the time either.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #2734
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Of all the afternoons I had to go work in my office instead of home and Best Buy decides to drop 30 4090s today.

It was one of those days too where I wasn't even sitting at my computer most of the time either.
Ah poop. Will try to message you if I see them up again!
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #2735
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ah poop. Will try to message you if I see them up again!
Thanks, I've been using droptracker.ca to track them since it's faster at refreshing than nowinstock.net which seems to even give alerts minutes after stock is gone.

The thing that sucks with droptracker.ca is it's now added 4080s to the page so I constantly hear "Item in stock" since they aren't selling like the 4090s. So I've just been getting into the habit of checking every 15 minutes to see if it drops.

Until today, the past week they've just been dropping one, sometimes two units and I keep missing out at the bank verification page. It just gives you false hope you've got one once you get past the checkout page.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #2736
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, I've been using droptracker.ca to track them since it's faster at refreshing than nowinstock.net which seems to even give alerts minutes after stock is gone.

The thing that sucks with droptracker.ca is it's now added 4080s to the page so I constantly hear "Item in stock" since they aren't selling like the 4090s. So I've just been getting into the habit of checking every 15 minutes to see if it drops.

Until today, the past week they've just been dropping one, sometimes two units and I keep missing out at the bank verification page. It just gives you false hope you've got one once you get past the checkout page.
Can you turn that off in the short term until you get a card?

I have a MC that insists on doing the verification but a VISA that does not have that extra step and delay.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #2737
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Can you turn that off in the short term until you get a card?

I have a MC that insists on doing the verification but a VISA that does not have that extra step and delay.
I'm not sure. It could be something with TD and high priced transactions. I don't recall having to do it when I bought my $150 headphones a couple of weeks ago.

I do remember having to have my bank put extra security on my account after having someone use my PayPal to buy $900 worth of PSN cards when I still lived in BC so that might be why. I'll have to contact them and see if something can be done.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #2738
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Isn't there a new model out? It ends in "DWF"?

Ultimately it's just a downgraded version with AMD Freesync Prem Pro instead of GSync Ultimate and a slightly slower refresh rate.

My TV has FPP and it really doesn't feel quite as nice as native Gsync in my opinion.

The no updates thing defo sucks though, but I can't abide no Gsync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-18-2022 at 07:19 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #2739
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Not to add salt to the wounds but it looks like they dropped 212 of them. Keep checking tonight because they might add some back as people cancel or payments don’t go through. That’s how I got mine.

If I see any come in or get an alert from the Discord server I’ll post here. If you managed to figure out access that seems to be a good way to see stock.

I just opened mine last night and while it seems as long as my old 3080 Ti it’s A LOT heavier. Like “how does this not snap the PCI-E slot” heavy. Feels very premium and looks premium too. I’ll try to install this weekend with the MODDIY cables that I ordered.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:51 PM   #2740
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Ultimately it's just a downgraded version with AMD Freesync Prem Pro instead of GSync Ultimate and a slightly slower refresh rate.

My TV has FPP and it really doesn't feel quite as nice as native Gsync in my opinion.

The no updates thing defo sucks though, but I can't abide no Gsync.
Looking at that other Dell monitor, it has it as gsync compatible? Is that a death sentence versus fully gsync? Are things good as long as you get a good enough baseline fps?