Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #61
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Saw the movie on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. I'm not a big superhero movie guy at all, but from the trailers I knew I'd want to see this one. Was expecting something irreverent, and got just that. Sure some of the humour was juvenile, but again, to be expected. Didn't bug me in the slightest.

I know comic book fans will always be annoyed if the translation to the screen changes some part of the character, or doesn't explain everything properly, but for me it was fine. The thing with comic books is the heroes have been around so long, often the info about them contradicts themselves. (In fact a quick google search after the movie showed me Deadpool was no exception, even if he has been around a lot shorter time frame than say, Spiderman) So agreeing on a version for the screen is a necessity. Also, often, the less explanation of the powers is better. The further in depth you go, the sillier they seem. It might 'sound' like it's more scientific or a better explanation, but it really isn't. It's just more holes to poke into, more reasons for it to not make sense or seem silly. Kinda like when the writers started to try an explain how 'the force' worked in the Star Wars universe.

As much as I loved the movie, I would argue against those that say the movie was truly groundbreaking or completely changed the genre though. It changed it a bit, upped the bar a bit, was refreshing in some ways, but let's not go crazy here. For the most part, everything was just kinda cranked up to 11.

- A wise cracking superhero? Pretty standard to be honest. In this case, just done much better. Cranked up to 11 as I said.
- Violence? Sex? Ditto.
- Breaking through the fourth wall? Maybe it's new for a superhero flick, but it's not new in cinema. Shoot, even 'The Big Short' did it this year and that was about default housing swaps! Haha! On a personal note, it appears I enjoy when movies and television shows do this, cause a lot of my favorite movies do that.

Lastly, even in the comics, Deadpool claims to be from Canada. Heck, my friend even told me this to get me interested in seeing it. So the Regina thing could have been a double meaning easy enough. Although, in the Google search I did after, it was interesting to note, that while he does allude a few times that he's from Canada, he also claims he was kicked out of the US special forces. They also mentioned something like that in the movie, though I forget specifically which special forces. So... yeah...

And of course he's insane now, so, it's probably just one of those things left to have fun with and speculate on.

Oh, and for the poster asking why he was such a good fighter, there's your answer. Before he was even given his powers, he had special forces training.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #62
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Oh, a final thought. I'd be down for a sequel, but I really don't think they should put him in an X-Men film or X-Force or whatever. His personality wouldn't be able to come through as well (especially if it's a pg-13 rating, which it will be) and he won't be able to talk to the audience either cause unless it's a Deadpool movie, he can't really be telling it from a first person narrative.

You'd basically have to cut out everything that made him different from the other heroes to begin with.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Three things really stood out for me.

The opening credits where they made fun of themselves was brilliant in setting the mood.

Introducing his inability to get killed by putting one up mainstreet was such a brilliant throwaway.

The relationship over a year when we got to national woman's day took something in the movie that was weirdly starting to become incredibly sweet and out of place and slammed it right back into the irrelevance and R rated concept of the hero.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:37 AM   #64
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
It might 'sound' like it's more scientific or a better explanation, but it really isn't. It's just more holes to poke into, more reasons for it to not make sense or seem silly. Kinda like when the writers started to try an explain how 'the force' worked in the Star Wars universe.
Yeah, this sounds a lot like "midichlorians" to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I hated the fact that they didn't explain that Deadpool's zaniness and 4th wall breaking ability is actually a result of the battle of brain cancer and his healing factor constantly changing his brain structure and making him extra-dimensionally aware or just plain crazy. Instead, Wade is just zany from the start.
==========================

If Francis doesn't feel anything, what's him motivation? Why not just just chill out on the couch all day?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #65
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Oh yeah! The opening credits were great. Really put you in the mindset for the mood of the movie.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #66
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ok, I'm going to admit a couple of things, and turn in my man card.

For some reason that stupid Lilly and the Snowman ad thing stabs me in the heart every time.

And Yes

I came home and promptly downloaded Juice Newton's Angel of the Morning, then looked at the lyrics and saw how well it fit with the movie because its a song about a one night stand that leads to heart break.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If Francis doesn't feel anything, what's him motivation? Why not just just chill out on the couch all day?
####ing nihilists, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
ok, I'm going to admit a couple of things, and turn in my man card. For some reason that stupid Lilly and the Snowman ad thing stabs me in the heart every time.
I think it's incredibly disturbing. This girl created a sentient living being with limited faculties, but apparently the capacity for happiness, and she uses it as a slave for her entertainment and keeps it locked in a fridge for months and years on end.

Horrifying.

(I made this point at some length to a date a couple of weeks ago, which definitely annoyed her, but I think I made my case.)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #68
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default ***Deadpool Spoilers***

NSFW

NSFW!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #69
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I think it's incredibly disturbing. This girl created a sentient living being with limited faculties, but apparently the capacity for happiness, and she uses it as a slave for her entertainment and keeps it locked in a fridge for months and years on end.

Horrifying.

(I made this point at some length to a date a couple of weeks ago, which definitely annoyed her, but I think I made my case.)
Heh, I made the same comment to my friend at the show too.

'I think this ad is about slavery?'
Old 02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or about the abandonment of childhood imagination and hope.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #71
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Or about the abandonment of childhood imagination and hope.
No, clearly slavery.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #72
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Slavery for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #73
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came in here to see commentary on Deadpool and be happy.

Leaving saddened and pissed by a 2 minute animated short.

Well done everyone.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #74
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm with you Captain, that thing gets me for sure. Not because it's sweet though, because I feel bad for the snowman. His face when she's a teenager and doesn't even look at him when opening the fridge.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #75
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went last night and really enjoyed it. Was laughing like crazy.

I was surprised it was only rated 14A though. There was a group of 14 year old girls in front of us then a huge group of 14 year olds in front of them. I sort of felt bad laughing my ass off with my GF at all the sex jokes and what not and none of the kids understood them.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #76
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Deadpool' Tops $490M Worldwide

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4160&p=.htm
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #77
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure that Snowman wasn't actually alive very much like Hobbes, it was her imagination that was being ignored, that was kind of the point.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I'm with you Captain, that thing gets me for sure. Not because it's sweet though, because I feel bad for the snowman. His face when she's a teenager and doesn't even look at him when opening the fridge.
I think that's where I felt it the most.

My girl was probably laughing at me because I was sniffling a bit because of the dust and pollen in the theatre.

Of course I got her back by laughing at a lot of the really violent stuff in the movie.

Lets face facts fellas, Deadpool is the ultimate relationship revenge flick for those of us who were forced to take our significant others to any movies like the notebook or movies starring Katherine Heigl.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #79
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My girl was probably laughing at me because I was sniffling a bit because of the dust and pollen in the theatre.

Of course I got her back by laughing at a lot of the really violent stuff in the movie.

Lets face facts fellas, Deadpool is the ultimate relationship revenge flick for those of us who were forced to take our significant others to any movies like the notebook or movies starring Katherine Heigl.
Not to worry Cap'n. I was in full fledged tears the first time I saw it before Star Wars.

Doesn't get me so much now, but that one part....man.

Also, AcGold, you just blew my mind.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #80
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Weird because my theater also has a pollen problem. In fact, it gets so bad right around the part where this enslaved snowman is left all alone for decades in a coffin that my wife usually leaves the theater to get a drink.

The only saving grace is that if Indian Jones has taught us anything, IF there is a nuclear attack that Snowman will survive, then who is laughing!!