Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #1381
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm confused. If you don't like certain genres/franchises then don't pay to watch them. Seems a controllable solution.

I think the Transformer movies are the lowest of the low in blockbuster entertainment. They don't get a dollar from me for that reason, but I don't care if they keep making them for people that enjoy them. It hasn't hindered the production of quality films and entertainment that I enjoy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #1382
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jojo Rabbit was pretty good, though I didn't get as much laughs out of it as some of Taika's other work.

Bad Boys for Life was an excellent action movie, and actually has a solid story and character development. Wouldn't change your mind on the franchise, but as a fan, I highly enjoyed it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #1383
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Meh. Disney is destroying Star Wars so one can hope they do the same with Marvel.
Is someone forcibly making you watch these movies?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #1384
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

i saw 1917 last Friday morning, me and four other old dudes. Man, what a great movie, so glad i saw it on the big screen. When it ended, I couldn't believe the 2 hours went by that quickly
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #1385
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm confused. If you don't like certain genres/franchises then don't pay to watch them. Seems a controllable solution.

I think the Transformer movies are the lowest of the low in blockbuster entertainment. They don't get a dollar from me for that reason, but I don't care if they keep making them for people that enjoy them. It hasn't hindered the production of quality films and entertainment that I enjoy.
"I don't enjoy something so nobody should be allowed to enjoy it then!"
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #1386
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
His name is Moriarty you Philistine!
You mean PFC John Hall from Abel Company in Band of Brothers?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #1387
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This is pretty neat. Breakdown of how true movies are. You can click on individual scenes.

https://www.informationisbeautiful.n...ue-true-story/
This site will probably be my new life for the next while.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #1388
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
"I don't enjoy something so nobody should be allowed to enjoy it then!"
It's got nothing to do with that and more that as a fan of good movies I want good content and not safe movies that satisfies shareholders. Jodie Foster said it best regarding what the superhero movie domination has brought;

Quote:
“Going to the movie has become a theme park,” Foster lamented during the interview. “Studios making bad content in order to appeal to the masses and shareholders is like fracking—you get the best return right now but you wreck the earth…. It’s ruining viewing habits of the American population and then ultimately the rest of the world.”
Quote:
This reduction in filmmaking has shrunk and consolidated resources amongst the biggest distributors of cinema in the world, reducing the number of opportunities for creative talent while increasing the expense and excess of a handful of annual blockbusters.
I don't necessarily agree with her that these movies are "bad content" as some of them are good and I don't expect this to be a popular take here but as a fan of cinema I feel this is a pretty bad time for the industry.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-12-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #1389
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
You mean PFC John Hall from Abel Company in Band of Brothers?
That doesn't count though. Everybody is in Band of Brothers.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #1390
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's got nothing to do with that and more that as a fan of good movies I want good content and not safe movies that satisfies shareholders. Jodie Foster said it best regarding what the superhero movie domination has brought;

I don't necessarily agree with her that these movies are "bad content" as some of them are good and I don't expect this to be a popular take here but as a fan of cinema I feel this is a pretty bad time for the industry.
I'll admit that DC has been a general disappointment with a smattering of quality films over this generation (Wonder Woman, Shazam!, and Birds of Prey with positive reviews). They can't figure out what to do with their keystone character - Superman - but they nailed a trilogy of Batman films that paved the way for some really solid R rated superhero films. Deadpool is a refreshing and great parody of the genre, and I thought Logan was actually quite poignant. Still, I've spoken with my wallet since Suicide Squad and won't see another DC film without thorough reviews.

Marvel, on the other hand, has way more hits than misses. Individually they can be very formulaic, but they told an 11 year story that, IMO, nailed the landing with Infinity War and Endgame. In the last 2 years some of these films have even had Oscar buzz, and others have been talked about in academic circles. For every simple installment they seem to break ground with other entries. These are characters I grew up with and it is fun to see them fleshed out on the big screen in engaging stories. It hasn't stopped my appreciation for other cinema.

The film industry is cyclical. Once the quality drops, or people get tired of it, they will shift focus. However, IMO, as long as they are making quality films that I enjoy they can make as many of these films they want (I can't wait for the next GOTG and Deadpool films). This is where the demand is, but despite a lot of moaning it hasn't stiffled the more "artistic" or non-blockbuster variety of film from getting recognition.

While I resent that a smaller city theatre like Red Deer won't take risks by playing films like BlacKKKlansman it didn't stop me from seeing it. Parasite was recognized as Best Picture, and that recognition has made me want to see a foreign film for the first time in YEARS.

I think the assertion that superhero films and major money blockbusters are "ruining" film is overblown. I still get my fill of "artsy fartsy" films that most of my family can't be bothered to watch.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #1391
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem for me with superhero movies is they have become adult, if they remained a good piece of escapist crap for kids as they really are then fine but when we start looking to Joker origin movies in order to comment on mental health we are in deep cultural trouble.

The problem isn't the movies themselves, its the fact that as adults we don't want to grow up, we have the attention span of hamsters and cant watch anything serious for 2 hours without something blowing up and some toy to collect.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 02-12-2020 at 04:23 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #1392
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What's this? High Fidelity is remade as a TV Series?

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/high...L3SlrbPqNq7jaU
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #1393
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The problem for me with superhero movies is they have become adult, if they remained a good piece of escapist crap for kids as they really are then fine but when we start looking to Joker origin movies in order to comment on mental health we are in deep cultural trouble.

The problem isn't the movies themselves, its the fact that as adults we don't want to grow up, we have the attention span of hamsters and cant watch anything serious for 2 hours without something blowing up and some toy to collect.
Hell yes. I completely agree.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #1394
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The Irishmen was three hours long and was up for Best Picture, you have people praising the three hour cut of Doctor Sleep in the last dozen pages. I do agree there is an extended adolescence today but I'm not sure that's a negative.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #1395
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It sounds like more of an issue with movies in general. Superhero movies aren’t unique in this sense.

There are plenty of superhero properties that can meaningfully comment on mental health or other serious issues.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #1396
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The Irishmen was three hours long and was up for Best Picture, you have people praising the three hour cut of Doctor Sleep in the last dozen pages. I do agree there is an extended adolescence today but I'm not sure that's a negative.
The Irishman was three hours long, but it was watched on TV over two or three days by most, put that in a Theatre without a dark elf or some kind of origin story and it never gets made (and you can make the argument that was Scorsese making an origin film)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #1397
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The Irishman was three hours long, but it was watched on TV over two or three days by most, put that in a Theatre without a dark elf or some kind of origin story and it never gets made (and you can make the argument that was Scorsese making an origin film)
The last Scorsese movie, The Wolf of Wall Street, was three hours too. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood clocked in at 2:50. Both were popular I think.

I'd bet plenty of people here saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Avengers End Game last year.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #1398
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know if I fully agree with your point about Joker. Why can’t a superhero movie have some depth to it? I understand that they are usually intended to be a fun escape and not much more, but I think that’s why people gravitated to Joker so much. It really broke some barriers and proved that superhero movies can be more than just a silly popcorn flick.

If the movie was the exact same but set in New York instead of Gotham, he didn’t call himself Joker, and you changed the Wayne’s name to something else you wouldn’t even know you were watching a superhero movie. It was a breath of fresh air into a genre that has become beyond stale.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 AM   #1399
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think your father ever said about Disney cartoons 'It was a breathe of fresh air in a genre that has become beyond stale'?

They are all kids movies that do nothing at all but entertain, nothing wrong with that, but they are not stale they are just kids movies that do nothing but entertain, thinking them stale is about the same as thinking candy floss needs more depth of flavour, more 'unami'.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:57 AM   #1400
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why can’t a superhero movie have some depth to it?

Because it isn't real depth, mentally ill people don't become criminal alter egos, they become homeless and die of drug overdoses, but that isn't fun or simple to understand and you tend to come out of the cinema feeling guilty, the Joker did nothing to make you think about why there is guy sleeping in a bus stop on the corner, it had no more depth than Captain America in reality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: