Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #501
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The horrible CGI at the end ruined it for me.

Spoiler!
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #502
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One last time, the IMDB poster with an epic summary to enjoy.
Spoiler!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #503
Cobra Jet
Lifetime Suspension

The 20mph chase scene kinda lost me....

After thought

Spoiler!
Cobra Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #504
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It was an entertaining show. It won't win any awards for its writing or acting, but at the end of the day it was a fun show to watch. It could have been done in five seasons, but I am just glad that it has come to an end. Based on this show I have no desire to watch Sutter's next show though.. so maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I did.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #505
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad it's over, whatever was cool about it got lost in the chaos of the last couple seasons. They got away from the biker lifestyle aspect of the show and just went full re***rd. So much potential.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #506
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
One last time, the IMDB poster with an epic summary to enjoy.
Spoiler!
I think that person simply does not like television shows, because they all have similar flaws. I'm sure he thinks he is the smartest person in the world for pointing them out though. One thing that bothers me though, and this goes for a lot of shows these day, is that the finales are just way too predictable. Everyone knew a long time ago what was going to happen.

The whole Christian symbolism was a little too much for me as well. Crashing into the truck while doing the Jesus Christ pose, with the (sam) crows (i.e., the surviving Sons/disciples) eating the bread and wine, then the blood trickling into it...meh.

I thought it was funny too how at the end it was all dramatic and then the corny ending credits music started playing...dee nee nee nee nee nee neeneeeoooo. It kind of killed the moment if there was one.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 12-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #507
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think that person simply does not like television shows, because they all have similar flaws. I'm sure he thinks he is the smartest person in the world for pointing them out though. One thing that bothers me though, and this goes for a lot of shows these day, is that the finales are just way too predictable. Everyone knew a long time ago what was going to happen.

The whole Christian symbolism was a little too much for me as well. Crashing into the truck while doing the Jesus Christ pose, with the (sam) crows (i.e., the surviving Sons/disciples) eating the bread and wine, then the blood trickling into it...meh.

I thought it was funny too how at the end it was all dramatic and then the corny ending credits music started playing...dee nee nee nee nee nee neeneeeoooo. It kind of killed the moment if there was one.
I don't think ending a series in a predictable way is necessarily a bad thing. IMO, every series that has gone against the grain with an ending (Lost, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) have actually left a bitter taste in my mouth about the show despite trying to be edgy and unique. The only other one that bucked the trend a little bit was The Sopranos, but it had just the right amount of ambiguity that it worked (for me, anyway).

I knew how Breaking Bad was going to end up, same with The Shield to some extent (still some unexpected elements), and the same with SOA. They were all satisfying.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #508
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't like to overthink too much when I watch TV, I feel like I can enjoy shows for what they're supposed to be. I enjoyed Sons from beginning to end, and while this last season certainly wasn't my favorite of the 7, I was still entertained. I thought the ending was great. I'm pretty sad it's all over, probably one of my favorite series of all time.

I always found it interesting, especially with the finale, to read interviews from the producers and directors about their perspective on what certain things mean. Gives pretty good insight about the story they're trying to tell.

Also, hugely unpopular opinion, but I always loved the music on the show.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #509
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I don't like to overthink too much when I watch TV, I feel like I can enjoy shows for what they're supposed to be. I enjoyed Sons from beginning to end, and while this last season certainly wasn't my favorite of the 7, I was still entertained. I thought the ending was great. I'm pretty sad it's all over, probably one of my favorite series of all time.

I always found it interesting, especially with the finale, to read interviews from the producers and directors about their perspective on what certain things mean. Gives pretty good insight about the story they're trying to tell.

Also, hugely unpopular opinion, but I always loved the music on the show.
The music was awesome. One of the main reasons to watch the show IMO. I would have never found out about the White Buffalo had it not been for it. Battleme's version of Hey Hey My My was pretty good too.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #510
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had to watch just to get it over with. Decent enough but glad it is done. The only ending that would have left me satisfied is Chucky finally going crazy and chopping all of SAMCRO down with prosthetic hands screaming I don't except that after finding out about Gemma. Otherwise, blah.

Music was always great on SOA and you can grab it on spotify. Great covers or great songs.

Was the women really Jesus? That was dumb.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #511
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Was the women really Jesus? That was dumb.
Sutter has said that it is open for interpretation. Personally I didn't reach the homeless woman = Jesus conclusion at all. In season 6 they hinted at the posibility that she's Brookes mother who faked her own death.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #512
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm not picking that up from this thread at all.
Final season was weak too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #513
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The series was never a masterpeice, and more holes than the last 10 years of the Oilers defensive game, but the last season was almost unbearable.

Throw as much gratuitousness against the wall and see what stuck was the plan this year. Situations (mostly killing) that caused 2 or 3 episodes of club/street/character fallout in previous years, with club and various character dilemma/development and then resolution, went largely ignored suddenly this season, as the episode had to move onto the next scene that didn't make sense, rather then dwell on what happened for any length of time.

Then, toss in random stuff like the 17 year old baby sitter who was in love with Rat, and had some heart to heart and that she was bipolar and why did he hang out with her...then nothing past that, other then he banged someone else two episodes later....and...that was it for either of their development or talk of their relationship. It appeared to be tacked on...writers awkwardly trying to develop those characters, since they stopped Jax and and his thoughts/writings in his diary from other seasons.

Anyways, this last season was the writers accelerating timelines much faster than previous seasons, to get all loose ends tied up. It came across as sloppy, past the point of believability in almost every episode this season. Took half an episode to get Juice to and back from some motel, or people to and from the cabin, but driving to Oregon and back for Jax was 1/4 episode.

Tacking on scenes both for shock value, but also to pretend that there was some deeper meaning, was horribly executed. It's as if these writers and producer knew that the end was coming and wanted to beef up their personal resumes and show they could write something "deeper", and have a body of work that wasn't just gang-style shootings. And they failed...and with that, and the rushed nature of everything else this season, left a sour taste in the original theme, in wrapping up this series.

As popular as the show was, and as much as they think they're part of the none of those guys are going to be writing or producing any Emmy winning things after something like this (Sutter included, IMO), so I suspect to see them fall back to this and try to cash back in with an SOA in 2-3 years, probably with most of the Redwood charter (or what is left, maybe the club got decimated, and the show is about someone trying to start in back up), along with maybe Wendy, Jimmy Smits and the kids possibly grown up.

Last edited by browna; 12-13-2014 at 06:00 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #514
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that was a painful season to slog through. I figured the final season was going to be weak compared to how 6 ended but it was approaching Dexter's level of "We have no idea what we're doing" from the writers. And same with Dexter I just plowed through, fast forwarding through most of the "emotional" scenes, just to finish the damn series

The show was good in early seasons because it was just a fun biker gang romp that no one really took too seriously. That was completely abandoned for the final run and there was no fun to be had, just a bunch of actors painfully overacting with no real direction until the very end. Just a sad way to see the series end up
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #515
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Sutter has said that it is open for interpretation. Personally I didn't reach the homeless woman = Jesus conclusion at all. In season 6 they hinted at the posibility that she's Brookes mother who faked her own death.
I never came to the woman = jesus thing either, never even crossed my mind. I've always seen her as more of a guardian angel, the Brooke thing threw me off but then SAMCRO/Gemma/Jax took her in and helped her and looked over her like she was Jax & Gemma.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #516
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter said in an interview that she was straight up Jesus Christ. Although I don't understand why. Jax meets her in the alley, and she gives him her blanket and says it's time. Next thing you know he's gunning down Marx in front of the courthouse. WWDJ that?

Then I read some articles about how he was being sarcastic and she is whatever you want her to be. I'm gonna go with that she's the Grim Reaper.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #517
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Sutter said in an interview that she was straight up Jesus Christ. Although I don't understand why. Jax meets her in the alley, and she gives him her blanket and says it's time. Next thing you know he's gunning down Marx in front of the courthouse. WWDJ that?

Then I read some articles about how he was being sarcastic and she is whatever you want her to be. I'm gonna go with that she's the Grim Reaper.
I thought she was more like the Reaper as well. If anything, Jax was being made out to be Jesus in that scenario.

I thought the fact she was standing there eating bread and drinking wine made the Jesus reference obvious, but then she handed him a shroud that Jax wrapped himself in (Jesus was wrapped in a shroud while being crucified). Then when Jax crashed into the truck while putting his arms up like a cross, it was totally playing up the whole Jesus/martyr aspect. Then the wine soaked bread was shown being devoured by crows was symbolic for Jesus's disciples at the Last Supper.

I took it more as Jax was being symbolically compared to Jesus and the woman was more like the angel of death delivering the message to him. The Christian references were very blatant either way though.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #518
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I thought she was more like the Reaper as well. If anything, Jax was being made out to be Jesus in that scenario.

I thought the fact she was standing there eating bread and drinking wine made the Jesus reference obvious, but then she handed him a shroud that Jax wrapped himself in (Jesus was wrapped in a shroud while being crucified). Then when Jax crashed into the truck while putting his arms up like a cross, it was totally playing up the whole Jesus/martyr aspect. Then the wine soaked bread was shown being devoured by crows was symbolic for Jesus's disciples at the Last Supper.

I took it more as Jax was being symbolically compared to Jesus and the woman was more like the angel of death delivering the message to him. The Christian references were very blatant either way though.
I took it as the show was stupid and didn't know what else to do

Enjoyed the series, man the last season or so was bad. Worse then the IRA kidnapped Able (which was awful) season.

But really, crows, blood, bread..... head shakingly awful, including the cgi.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #519
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I took it as the show was stupid and didn't know what else to do

Enjoyed the series, man the last season or so was bad. Worse then the IRA kidnapped Able (which was awful) season.

But really, crows, blood, bread..... head shakingly awful, including the cgi.
Yeah, season 3 and season 7 were just bad. I had a hard time getting through season 3, especially when they were in Ireland. But every other season I really, really enjoyed. 1, 2 and 4 were fantastic
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #520
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what happened to Jax's leg in the 2nd last episode?
They just decided he should limp for 1 episode and then never see out a reason for it?

Too many examples like that where the show put something in there and forgot to actually explore it. They clearly had no idea where they were going from episode to episode and just threw it together as they could.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote