Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #2141
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The issue we found with 3 row SUVs was not so much space in the third row (our small kids fit fine), but the lack of space behind the third row... If you're using three rows of seats, typically you have 6+ people worth of stuff and that tends to be the pinch point with most of these, at least for us.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #2142
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If you didn't get in on the first 50 you should just wait for the wagon version. Hopefully it's not all illogical like the Taycan wagon with somehow less than a litre more boot capacity.
I have the first order in AB.

However, I am also taking a hard look at the Taycan wagon.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #2143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The issue we found with 3 row SUVs was not so much space in the third row (our small kids fit fine), but the lack of space behind the third row... If you're using three rows of seats, typically you have 6+ people worth of stuff and that tends to be the pinch point with most of these, at least for us.
That's the issue with most 3 row seat SUV's. The 3rd row is strictly for kids so if you have 4+ kids it's worth it but not so much for carrying adults. It's a good way for manufacturers to up the price on SUV's though which is why I would avoid it unless you really, really need it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #2144
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hot take but the Taycan Cross is absolutely ruined by the plastic cladding and raised height.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #2145
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair comment, I think my Durango has 1 1/2 foot of space once the 3rd row is up.

That being said I view trips to with the 3rd row up and full as short trips to movies or swimming or Calaway with the kids friends.

I wouldn't subject someone to a long trip back there, actually I'd make my son sit back there but that's it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #2146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had an MPV growing up. Most long trips involved a ski box stuffed with supplies, because there just isn't enough space in the back for stuff.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #2147
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And waiting for the Audi wagon is also an option I am considering, depending on how long of a wait it is.

I am not a truck guy, but I took a long look at the F150 Lightning last night. Pretty interesting. If it were available now (by fall), I think I would consider it. But by spring/summer 22, there are going to be a lot more options, I suspect
Old 08-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #2148
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Hot take but the Taycan Cross is absolutely ruined by the plastic cladding and raised height.
I don't disagree. Which forces me into the Turbo S, which jacks the price up into unjustifiable territory.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #2149
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't disagree. Which forces me into the Turbo S, which jacks the price up into unjustifiable territory.
IMO if you're going for the Taycan, go all out. No compromises.

But I agree. You have to be a Porsche or nothing kind of person.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #2150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree on 3rd row seats - they are great for taking 6 or 7 people in one vehicle for a short trip - for dinner or to baseball practice, or whatever.

But for out-of-town trips, you don't have enough cargo space.

So it's a question of what you need the vehicle for.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #2151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IMO if you're going for the Taycan, go all out. No compromises.

But I agree. You have to be a Porsche or nothing kind of person.
I agree, but with the Turbo S, with a reasonable package of options, you are WELL into the $200s. And I think that is hard to justify for this vehicle. I priced one out at something like $280ish. Then tried again 'conservatively' and it came in at $240k.

Better to wait for the Audi version which (assuming there is an RS version, which I believe is the plan) will probably be right around $200
Old 08-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #2152
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, some people still think that about Hyundai and KIA, but in fact both brands make great cars at a great value. I stumbled into liking the Telluride one day last year. My wife and I were looking at a used Mercedes GLS 450, which is the MB three row. It was a complete disappointment. Not all that nice inside (2019 model, anyway), and totally cramped for space with a borderline useless third row. I actually hated it and was expecting to love it.

Anyway, we went to every manufacturer to try every three row vehicle and the Telluride was faaaaaar better than all of them. By leaps and bounds. Nothing from Audi, Ford, Honda, BMW, Mazda, etc. (I mean it when I say we put every make on the table) even came close. No comparison whatsoever. And by better I mean the interior layout, space in all rows, the self driving stuff, all the other tech, exterior looks great and the interior is nice (I like the Pallisade interior more, but hate the exterior). The downside is the drivetrain - boring old V6 that's competent but not fast or particularly fun.

For whatever reason I've never been a fan of any one brand of car. I've practically owned them all. Right now, in 2021, the Telluride is my favourite three row vehicle. Wouldn't matter who made it to me. It's designed the best and the great thing about that is the industry knows it, which will give us all better vehicles on the next redesign cycle. It's the benchmark.
I am not really in the market now, as I have a 3rd row Explorer, but the reviews on the Telluride are really good and I think it looks pretty sharp for that sort of SUV. Honestly, fuel consumption is not a major concern for me. If it was, I would be looking at an entirely different line of vehicles and price points.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #2153
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No replies. I think I have my answer and fata it...if you can't beat 'em, join' em. I'm not going to be the only car guy worrying about the environment.
I think there is a reasonable area in between sacrificing everything for the environment and only riding a bicycle and being a d-bag that daily drives a gas guzzling SUV while being the only person in the vehicle. Having an efficient compact car for the majority of your driving and a large SUV for family trips, kids hockey practices, etc. is a pretty reasonable compromise.

The solution to climate change isn't a few people doing things perfectly. It's going to take everyone doing everything imperfectly to have the kind of impact we need. Take the train instead of driving when you can. Take a road trip vacation instead of flying. Buy local when it's affordable or convenient. Make 50% of your diet vegetarian. If it's only a little bit hot, open the windows instead of running the A/C. It's important to change the "all or nothing mentality" around our environmental impact.

Last edited by Calgary Highlander; 08-13-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #2154
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When you said it didn't blow your skirt up, I wasn't sure... Congratulations! Should be an amazing car and a hell of an experience.
It didn't blow my skirt up because it is so similar to the RS7 in so many ways.

I have an Audi Exclusive interior, and Akropovic exhaust, so my RS7 is actually still nicer than a loaded GT, IMO. Which was a bit disappointing.
Also, several people had said to me that the RS GT was so fast that it actually made them a bit nauseous, so my expectations were pretty high. However, while it was definitely faster than the RS7, the difference was less than I expected. So again, not overwhelmed by it.

In fairness though, it is an amazing vehicle. It's just that things haven't progressed as much in 4 years as I was expecting, I guess.

Edit: sorry, sounds like bragging - didn't mean to, just sharing my thoughts on comparing the 2 cars

Last edited by Enoch Root; 08-13-2021 at 10:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #2155
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't like black plastic cladding you are going to hate the new WRX. It's going to have hexagonal black plastic fender flares. If this is some sort of automotive trend it needs to be killed with fire.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #2156
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If you don't like black plastic cladding you are going to hate the new WRX. It's going to have hexagonal black plastic fender flares. If this is some sort of automotive trend it needs to be killed with fire.
Agreed.

But just tried to google it and didn't find what you are referring to - pics? Or link?

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #2157
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
please god no
Old 08-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #2158
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agree on 3rd row seats - they are great for taking 6 or 7 people in one vehicle for a short trip - for dinner or to baseball practice, or whatever.

But for out-of-town trips, you don't have enough cargo space.

So it's a question of what you need the vehicle for.
Our situation is unique because we have 4 kids, so we literally need a third row... With the young ones, we needed more space than most 3-row SUVs to haul strollers, etc and for road trips, we need that same space to fit bags, suitcases, etc.

I'd thought we could maybe move back into a (slightly) smaller SUV when the kids got a little older and we didn't have to haul around baby gear, but then their "stuff" gets bigger, and so do they... I think we're stuck with having only a couple options for the foreseeable future. That's why I'm so intrigued with the Lightning - I'm hoping it makes its way into the Ford SUVs... Heck, I'd buy one today.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #2159
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If Vacation was made today Christie Brinkley would be driving a Cayenne. ☹️
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #2160
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
If Vacation was made today Christie Brinkley would be driving a Cayenne. ☹️
Not gonna lie, I am finding myself really liking the Cayenne Turbo as an option for a winter ride. I like the Range Rover Sport SC as well, but the Porsche seems to have the upper hand in reliability from all accounts.

Then again, not opposed to a good AWD sport sedan either.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote