Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #81
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
Can you pull the gps data off of your watch and then upload it manually to strava? That's how I used to do it with older Garmin watches.
I can't, I used to be able to but I think one of the leads broke because I can charge but can't get the software or computer to recognize the connection.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #82
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

hey what's everyone putting on their feet right now? when I first started out I was just running in whatever cross trainers were lying around, which was basically like strapping on a couple of stiff blocks of wood. then I randomly bounced around various Nike lines (Lunarglide, Pegasus etc), buying according to look more than function.

then I discovered Mizunos and fell in love with the super light Hitogami line, which is halfway between a trainer and racer. but after really enjoying the feel of the Saucony Peregrine Ice this past winter, I'm tempted to dive into their regular road shoe lines. the Freedom Iso seems to be popular and I can't even find any in stock in my size right now, but it's on the wish list.

what's your favorite gear, shoes or otherwise?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #83
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
hey what's everyone putting on their feet right now? when I first started out I was just running in whatever cross trainers were lying around, which was basically like strapping on a couple of stiff blocks of wood. then I randomly bounced around various Nike lines (Lunarglide, Pegasus etc), buying according to look more than function.

then I discovered Mizunos and fell in love with the super light Hitogami line, which is halfway between a trainer and racer. but after really enjoying the feel of the Saucony Peregrine Ice this past winter, I'm tempted to dive into their regular road shoe lines. the Freedom Iso seems to be popular and I can't even find any in stock in my size right now, but it's on the wish list.

I used to use Nikes when they had a better selection of wide running shoes. I remember the Air Pegasus came in a wide and it was really comfortable. Using almost exclusively Saucony now. Picked up a new pair of Ride 9s last weekend from Gords. They are light, but not quite as breathable as I would like. The last 3 runs my feet have felt really hot, but that could be attributable to the weather too. Weird thing is they are uncomfortable for walking in. The leather on top is stiff and digs into the top of my foot when I walk. When I run, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I am probably not bending my foot as much.

I have the Peregrine Ice, too but I didn't feel as sure-footed in those on the ice.

The Mizunos sound interesting, I would like to try them someday. Some of the more hardcore, long distance guys I know wear them.

On the topic of footwear, my toes are feeling pretty good in these new ones, a little more secured and no more bashing and bruising when running downhills. Anyway, I really want to get rid of the nails. I am planning on going to the beach and stuff and would like to not have purple toenails. I saw some DIY stuff on YouTube, and I am definitely not going that route. Is there a pain-free means of fixing this? Would a podiatrist be of any use?

I don't have any really fancy gear. Lots of quick dry shirts and shorts and a huge fanny pack I bought 15 years ago at the Tech Shop when I lived near there. It fits everything I need for the day(bus to work, run home). I picked up some sleeves for mornings where it's too cold for just a t-shirt. They work pretty good, and means I don't need to wear a long sleeve shirt on days when it's going to be warm in the afternoon.

Anyway, tomorrow is my longish run up Nose Creek. Weird how dead it is for runners. All I see are cyclists, and maybe one runner, who never seem to appear on Strava when I check the fly-bys.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-05-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #84
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Altras. Well cushioned with wide forefoots
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #85
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I can't, I used to be able to but I think one of the leads broke because I can charge but can't get the software or computer to recognize the connection.
Sounds like your Garmin is dead. Too bad your birthday isn't coming up.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #86
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I run in Saucony shoes. I used to use Asics but for some reason something changed in their construction and I was getting baaaaad blisters when I bought my last 2 pairs. Nike's are too stiff for me as are Adidas, they both give me shin splints.

My Sauconys seemed to fit well right from the get go, never a problem.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #87
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anybody is looking to buy another Garmin watch, I have a foot pod and heart rate strap that were barely used before our 610 gave up the ghost. I think they are compatible with most Garmin watches.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #88
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looking at that video, they never should have allowed traffic past 10th ave. Close it before the underpass, then drivers can at least turn left or right. Not rocket science here. I'm going to go ahead and blame the roads dept.
I seriously can not believe that they did that. What an absolute joke. Whose fault is it? I would assume that the organizers of the run applied for some kind of permit, so the City should have been well aware of the route. If the City deploys CPS to handle the road closures, there must have been some kind of miscommunication between them. Regardless, whoever was the cop that actually shut down that intersection should have at least called for backup to close it at 10th, and then let the stranded cars through before letting the runners through.

I would have been pissed about missing lunch with a friend. Those two that missed their grandfather's funeral have the right to be irate. What a joke. There are city buses in that traffic jam. How hard would it have been to stop the runners for about one minute, to save one hour of time for all those people that got stuck there because the City didn't handle the closure properly?

That reminds me of when I used to work down by Barlow and 50th, and the trains would go by at lunchtime, and go 99% of the way past, and then stop and reverse, and go all the way back, and then go forward again. Like some kind of sick joke. You can't run over a train in a car, but you sure as hell can cut through a marathon.

Kidding!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #89
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you stop runners for a minute after they started you have ruined the race for them. And wasted their training effort for this race. Which if you compare to the hours of the people being stranded is far larger.

However moving the blockade in to allow sufficient room for a u-turn and getting people back out would have made a lot of sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #90
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
...I discovered Mizunos and fell in love with the super light Hitogami line, which is halfway between a trainer and racer. but after really enjoying the feel of the Saucony Peregrine Ice this past winter, I'm tempted to dive into their regular road shoe lines. the Freedom Iso seems to be popular and I can't even find any in stock in my size right now, but it's on the wish list.

I was pushed into a pair of Asics GT-2000 (4) a couple of years ago, and although they were generally quite good, they are far too much of a stability shoe for my needs. I appreciated that they were light, breathable, and showed little wear after ~400km. My understanding is that the GT-2000 (5) is effectively the same shoe....no major changes.

That said, I switched over to the Saucony Ride 9 last season and have nothing but positive things to say. They're much more of a neutral shoe and have noticeably less padding than the GT-2000s (which I like). I've got nearly 700km of the current pair and they're still great. With the Ride 10 just released, I took the opportunity to buy two more pairs of Ride 9s at a discount.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #91
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I was pushed into a pair of Asics GT-2000 (4) a couple of years ago, and although they were generally quite good, they are far too much of a stability shoe for my needs. I appreciated that they were light, breathable, and showed little wear after ~400km. My understanding is that the GT-2000 (5) is effectively the same shoe....no major changes.

That said, I switched over to the Saucony Ride 9 last season and have nothing but positive things to say. They're much more of a neutral shoe and have noticeably less padding than the GT-2000s (which I like). I've got nearly 700km of the current pair and they're still great. With the Ride 10 just released, I took the opportunity to buy two more pairs of Ride 9s at a discount.
$79.99

https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/scy-s20295
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #92
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
On the topic of footwear, my toes are feeling pretty good in these new ones, a little more secured and no more bashing and bruising when running downhills. Anyway, I really want to get rid of the nails. I am planning on going to the beach and stuff and would like to not have purple toenails. I saw some DIY stuff on YouTube, and I am definitely not going that route. Is there a pain-free means of fixing this? Would a podiatrist be of any use?
you mean that you're no longer getting black nails from your shoes, but you want to get rid of the remaining ones you have as quickly as possible? I have no idea how that would work, I just assumed that you can't get rid of chemically bonded blood stains underneath a nail. by august your nails might be mostly grown out and beach ready, but the rest of a runner's foot is kinda gross no matter what, so nice nails would only be lipstick on the proverbial pig...

a minor gear-related gear grinder is when I see dudes wearing exactly the same running shoes as me, and they're clearly the current model and not some old used up pair, but they're being used for non-running tasks, e.g. yardwork, walking to the office, working retail in a store, etc. it's their money and they can do whatever they like, but I treat my new shoes like rocket engines or nitrous oxide tanks, and I just can't bear to see them strapped on for pack mule or patio duty. I also get that they must be really comfortable for casual use, but given how generally garish the colors on these things are, I can't imagine wanting them on unless it was clear that I was about to rip up a pathway.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #93
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you mean that you're no longer getting black nails from your shoes, but you want to get rid of the remaining ones you have as quickly as possible? I have no idea how that would work, I just assumed that you can't get rid of chemically bonded blood stains underneath a nail. by august your nails might be mostly grown out and beach ready, but the rest of a runner's foot is kinda gross no matter what, so nice nails would only be lipstick on the proverbial pig...

a minor gear-related gear grinder is when I see dudes wearing exactly the same running shoes as me, and they're clearly the current model and not some old used up pair, but they're being used for non-running tasks, e.g. yardwork, walking to the office, working retail in a store, etc. it's their money and they can do whatever they like, but I treat my new shoes like rocket engines or nitrous oxide tanks, and I just can't bear to see them strapped on for pack mule or patio duty. I also get that they must be really comfortable for casual use, but given how generally garish the colors on these things are, I can't imagine wanting them on unless it was clear that I was about to rip up a pathway.

Yeah, pretty much just want to do a reset on the toenails. I would happily have them pulled out if there was some pain free way of doing that. Otherwise it's the closed toe clogs.

Ha. I kind of see why people now buy super expensive, obscure brands to separate themselves from poseurs. It's like how everybody is carrying around goodlife fitness bags or lululemon lunch bags.

Anyway, on kind of a cool note I finally broke 20k on a run last Friday and felt pretty good afterwards. Still seeing virtually nobody on Strava though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #94
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kind of run.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #95
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just read this article on the only Canadian to run a world's best marathon. And she was only 13 years old. Pretty cool.

Quote:
Imagine a record-setting distance runner. This marathoner you envisage should be a history maker. The fastest in the world, by a long margin. Concentrate. Got a picture in mind?
Is she four-feet-10 inches tall? Is she 13 years old? Is she Canadian? Is her name Maureen Wilton?
How a 13 year old Canadian girl ran the world's fastest marathon
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #96
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is running bad for your knees and feet due to the impact? No doubt it's great exercise for your heart, but would biking be better?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #97
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm. It doesn't address your questions, but maybe less mentally stressful than biking? I only get near misses by cars about 1% the rate I was when I was biking.

But, on the other end of it, finding a bathroom in the middle of a run can be pretty panicky. Driving range port-a-potty for the win!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #98
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Is running bad for your knees and feet due to the impact? No doubt it's great exercise for your heart, but would biking be better?
Generally it use to be accepted that running was more difficult on your knees than biking. It can especially exacerbate knee injuries if you're overweight, have pre-existing conditions or are running with poor form.

Newer studies have shown conflicting results when it comes to knee osteoarthritis though, some suggesting that running may even be beneficial.

I'm not a doctor or researcher, but pretty much with everything it seems like in moderation running is fine. Overuse or running while injured seem to be the biggest issues when it comes to running. Based on my own experience, if you're overweight it's probably better to cycle or swim for your cardio until you get to a lower BMI. But if you're at a healthy weight (or near) and don't have any knee issues, (again, as a non-doctor) you're probably fine either way. I don't see much of a reason it needs to be one or the other, even if you do run a ton, it's important to rest and cross-train, so throwing in some cycling and swimming is beneficial.

Ironically, there seems to be a shift in thinking that long distance running may not be as bad for your knees as once thought but worse on your heart.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #99
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
There's tons of research out there that the media has drawn horrible conclusions from. But the best I can remember from stuff I read previously is that cycling has a higher traumatic injury rate compared to running (Measured by ER visits).

Running has a higher rate of non traumatic injury in the first few years of doing the activity then levels out to a similar level. Whether this is due to the injury prone quitting or the injury prone's body adapting is unclear

Running also works your muscles more than cycling or conversely you can cycle for a longer time at x% of your VO2 max than you can run.

Both groups have reduced all causes mortality than the general population at moderate volumes per week. Then in both groups those that have high weekly volumes have an increase in all causes mortality from the moderate group.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #100
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But, on the other end of it, finding a bathroom in the middle of a run can be pretty panicky. Driving range port-a-potty for the win!
I always have fast splits when I'm looking for a can. Otherwise, find a bush, lose a sock.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote