Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default Costco Employees Happier with their pay than Facebook ones

Quote:
A recent survey of companies with the top employee compensation and benefits was littered with tech companies, with one notable exception. Sandwiched between the Google and Facebook at the top of the list, based on employee reviews, was a company from an industry not known for good pay and perks. The industry: retail. The company that's more than bucking the low-pay trend: Costco.

Just take a look at hourly wages of some of the lowest paid workers at major retailers and you get a sense for how far ahead of other retailers Costco is at compensating its workers. Glassdoor, where employees can anonymously report salaries (the same company that conducted the survey), shows that the average salary for a cashier at Costco is $11.85 per hour. A sales associate at Walmart is bringing in an average of $8.85 per hour. The average hourly wage for cashiers at Sam's Club is slightly higher at $9.36 per hour. Target cashiers average $8.18.

Of course, that doesn't mean Costco employees are being paid like they work at a company like Facebook or Microsoft. The average hourly wage is around $21. That's not a lot considering that Facebook interns can make double what the average hourly worker at Costco makes in a month, assuming a 40 hour work week.
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bull...ook-employees/

Another reason to support Costco. Not that you needed one.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
"An important reason for the success of Costco's business model is the attraction and retention of great employees," he said. "Instead of minimizing wages, we know it's a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty. We support efforts to increase the federal minimum wage"
This is why I think Costco would be a great place to work. Make your employees feel like a vauled member of the company.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to work at the Google.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

That's probably why their cashiers are the most efficient I've ever seen. I can have a full cart of groceries, get in line at the till behind two or three other customers, and still get through faster than at Walmart or Safeway. They've also seem to train their customers to have their #### together when they get up there (member card out, ready to pay, etc), because I've never been stuck behind some lady fumbling around with a loaded purse. I'd say it's the least stressful place to shop, except the crowds can be ridiculous to fight through
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's probably why their cashiers are the most efficient I've ever seen. I can have a full cart of groceries, get in line at the till behind two or three other customers, and still get through faster than at Walmart or Safeway. They've also seem to train their customers to have their #### together when they get up there (member card out, ready to pay, etc), because I've never been stuck behind some lady fumbling around with a loaded purse. I'd say it's the least stressful place to shop, except the crowds can be ridiculous to fight through
Go to the Red Deer location if you have the will power. It's worth the visit if you want near empty stores compared to Calgary.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Buck fifty for a hot dog and pop since 1985.

I love you Costco.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The lunch that keeps on giving!

Seriously, most businesses have their wages as their single most cost of doing business. Why not make sure the people working can make as much as possible and are as happy as possible. I know a few people that work at Costco and for the most part are treated extremely well.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 AM   #8
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My friend told me that costco is one of the top companies that treats the staff the best. I have a few friends that work there and say it's awesome. Believe it or not but once you get up there in terms of warehouse manager etc you'll be looking at 6 figures...
remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Everything scans and nothing is bagged, that makes it go much faster.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 AM   #10
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed a young man working at Costco that had previously worked at another grocery chain. His job was to check your receipt as you left the store.

I spoke to him about changing his job and he said he was much happier at Costco because his take home pay was much better...no union fees.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #11
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

11 things you didn't know about Costco:
http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com/costc...ou-didnt-know/
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This is why I think Costco would be a great place to work. Make your employees feel like a vauled member of the company.
The first thought in my head was Henry Ford's philosophy about paying well. If you pay your staff well, they'll be happy, productive, and have the money they need to buy your stuff.

Not too shabby, Costco. Well played.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
11 things you didn't know about Costco:
http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com/costc...ou-didnt-know/
5. Their top selling item is Kirkland branded toilet paper. In 2011 they sold one billion rolls – enough to wrap around the earth 1,200 times.

6. In 2012 the busiest Costco location in North America was located in Calgary, Alberta (South location).

We're #1!!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I have yet to find fault with Costco as a store; if anything I think it's the soccer moms and BBQ dads who litter the place, but other than that, the service, food, and product selection is amazing. Plus the $1.50 Hot Dog (with drink and refills) is just as amazing now as it was when i was a kid.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
5. Their top selling item is Kirkland branded toilet paper. In 2011 they sold one billion rolls – enough to wrap around the earth 1,200 times.

6. In 2012 the busiest Costco location in North America was located in Calgary, Alberta (South location).

We're #1!!
Honestly it's nice to know that I'm justified in shaking my head at how busy that place always is.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Honestly it's nice to know that I'm justified in shaking my head at how busy that place always is.
That's why is almost better to just go to the Okotoks location despite being further away.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
That's why is almost better to just go to the Okotoks location despite being further away.
Shhh
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Interesting. If I was an operations or SCM guy who just got laid off by an O&G firm, Costco would definitely be where I'd be looking. Retail is always desperate for talent
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
The first thought in my head was Henry Ford's philosophy about paying well. If you pay your staff well, they'll be happy, productive, and have the money they need to buy your stuff.

Not too shabby, Costco. Well played.
Although the bolded is not the thrust of your argument, I'd like to note that Henry Ford did not pay $5 a day to his workers so that they could afford his products. Rather, he did so in order to reduce turnover.

Reliable commentary on the subject:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...hat-you-think/

(Of course, this still goes to your greater point: higher wages can (and likely will) reduce staff turnover, which can become a competitive advantage in Costco's favor)
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
If I remember correctly, all their employees take a turn at being cashiers. Talking to a few of the managers at the stores I'm familiar with, they've often done cashier duty.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote