Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #1601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And Lesnar buried Ricochet. Like 0 offense.

Weird card, Miz and Morrison take the tag titles from the New Day, which I'm ok with.

Roman Reigns the Big Dog good god ya'll beat up Corbin for the 100 . . . . zzzzzz

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #1602
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And Lesnar buried Ricochet. Like 0 offense.

Weird card, Miz and Morrison take the tag titles from the New Day, which I'm ok with.

Roman Reigns the Big Dog good god ya'll beat up Corbin for the 100 . . . . zzzzzz
It's pretty clear Vince has no idea what he's doing anymore. I haven't watched Dynamite yet from last night but I did see that NXT got thumped in the ratings and lost viewers from last week, even with Charlotte in the main event. I feel like to most observers, it's very obvious that Charlotte isn't a draw and this was a predictable result.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #1603
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me Charlotte is a more boring version of Randy Orton
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #1604
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's pretty clear Vince has no idea what he's doing anymore. I haven't watched Dynamite yet from last night but I did see that NXT got thumped in the ratings and lost viewers from last week, even with Charlotte in the main event. I feel like to most observers, it's very obvious that Charlotte isn't a draw and this was a predictable result.

I don't know how much Vince is involved in the booking, just reading some of the sites, he spends most of his time away doing XFL stuff. It sounds like the agents are doing most of the work and on Raw for example running it through Heyman.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #1605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
To me Charlotte is a more boring version of Randy Orton

She's her dad without the Charisma.

I think that Flair was one of the greats, the problem with him though is that every match was the same, Rick didn't innovate all that much, stuck to a script, and did a lot of unrealistic comedy bumping that I didn't much like after a while. I mean with the right opponent Flair was awesome, with Steamboat and with Michaels. But there was only so much wooo slap wooo that I could watch, and Flair worked pretty soft too.

Charlotte is the same, she follows a similar script in all of her matches, and when she has a good physical opponent it can make her look like a million bucks. But Charlotte doesn't have her old mans charisma, nor does she have the ability to do mic work on the fly, instead her interviews and promo's are all the same. I'm also going to say that the opponent that made Flair look like a million dollars wasn't Becky or Rhonda, it was Paige who was an unbelievable performer. In the Rhonda, Charlotte Becky match, Becky and Rhonda beat the crap out of each other, Charlotte didn't fit in.

Something is just not working in the woman's division anymore. That's why I'm glad that Shayna was bought up because love her or hate her, She's probably one of the best pure workers in the division right now, she's a magnificent heel, and she has grit.

When Show and Austin were doing their Stone Cold Session, they both had a big problem with the workers today, that they emphasized too much flash, not enough psychology and there was no grit to their matches, Stone Cold and Show both said that the one drawback of NXT training is that they don't allow the workers to work snug except for special matches, so there's no impact in the matches or emotion in the matches.

Love him or hate him, Bret Hart worked Snug, but he was also safe at it, and protected his opponent. Stone Cold worked Snug and you had a choice with him, protect yourself and fight back or he'd run you over and give you nothing.

But the nastiest piece of work was Vader, he worked Snug, and didn't protect his opponents all that well.

Mick Foley in his book stated that there were differemt types of workers.

Workers who's work looked like crap and it didn't hurt - Mils Mascaras
Workers who's work looked great, but hurt like hell - Terry Funk, Chris Benoit

Workers who's work looked like garbage and hurt - Ultimate Warrior

Workers who looked great and didn't hurt - Bret Hart, Lance Storm
Wrestlers who's work looked great and they didn't care if you died - Bad News Allen

Anyways I'm wandering, Charlotte sucks

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 02-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #1606
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

You forgot "Wrestlers who actively tried to murder you - New Jack."
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #1607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1233804416349806595

Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #1608
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

AEW Revolution was great last night. PAC vs OC, the tag titles match, and the main title match were standouts. Cody vs MJF was kind of flat, and the women's match had the tough task of following Bucks vs Omega/Page, but was OK (I don't think Statlander was 100%). Cody vs Hager definitely happened, but was serviceable as far as openers go.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #1609
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeha, it was a good card, I saw parts of it, I did hear that the fans in attendance crapped on the booking for Cody vs Hager.

The rumor now is that AEW is moving their show to Monday Nights opposite of Raw, I think that's a mistake.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #1610
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was Dustin vs Hager and I think the main thing people are upset about is Dustin kissing Hager's wife.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #1611
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The match between Dustin and Hager was OK for an old guy and a part timer. The bits with Hager's "wife" (no idea if she really was or not) were bad.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #1612
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeha, it was a good card, I saw parts of it, I did hear that the fans in attendance crapped on the booking for Cody vs Hager.

The rumor now is that AEW is moving their show to Monday Nights opposite of Raw, I think that's a mistake.
Cody said it and it's just bluster, Khan had said they would never compete with the NFL,mits effectively competing with themselves

Plus it goes against the whole ethos of what they created. More wrestling is good for everyone.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #1613
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
AEW Revolution was great last night. PAC vs OC, the tag titles match, and the main title match were standouts. Cody vs MJF was kind of flat, and the women's match had the tough task of following Bucks vs Omega/Page, but was OK (I don't think Statlander was 100%). Cody vs Hager definitely happened, but was serviceable as far as openers go.
Watched it today

Agreed with all this

Dustin can still go if he has someone to work with, but hager needs to be led in a match if its gonna be good

Tag team might have been a moty candidate

Jericho's reign was awesome and a perfect start for the company, but Mox is THE GUY there, and getting the title on him was very smart, well booked match

I liked MJF and Cody a little more than you it sounds like, the crowd being so hot helped, but MJF is young and still needs some more time if hes gonna become as good in the ring as he is on the mic

Womens division is just not there
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #1614
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Sounds like Matt Hardy is now a free agent, according to his Youtube channel. Also, him and AEW are laying Easter eggs for each other tonight. Either it's the biggest troll job we've ever seen in wrestling social media or its actually going to happen. Remember, the Dark Order have been pumping the arrival of the "Exhalted One", and AEW has been using words like OBSOLETE in the last week.

That said, I get a hunch Matt re-signs with WWE and goes to NXT.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:17 AM   #1615
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Sounds like Matt Hardy is now a free agent, according to his Youtube channel. Also, him and AEW are laying Easter eggs for each other tonight. Either it's the biggest troll job we've ever seen in wrestling social media or its actually going to happen. Remember, the Dark Order have been pumping the arrival of the "Exhalted One", and AEW has been using words like OBSOLETE in the last week.

That said, I get a hunch Matt re-signs with WWE and goes to NXT.

Yeah, I think we're getting swerved. To be honest, I was hoping that Matt and Jeff would retire, We keep seeing that they're dealing with injuries caused by their bodies breaking down.

Jeff just seems to be a tragedy just waiting to happen.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #1616
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I liked MJF and Cody a little more than you it sounds like, the crowd being so hot helped, but MJF is young and still needs some more time if hes gonna become as good in the ring as he is on the mic
It's easy for me to forget how young MJF is, so he definitely has time on his side to improve. But yeah, his biggest weakness is definitely in ring performance. Talking to some other people, I really think he should be sheltered a bit and used in tag team situations as he continues to (literally) learn the ropes.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #1617
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

My biggest take away from Revolution...Cody's neck tattoo. That was a terrible decision on his part.

Glad to see Hangman and Omega go over. It will be interesting to see where they go with the story line going forward.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #1618
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So the Network rolled out the next episode of the Ruthless Aggression Series which was The Next Big Thing. This series is every bit as good and interesting as the Monday Night Wars series which up to now was the best docuseries on the network.

This one focused on Brock Lesnar and his arrival and short 2 year career. Its a must watch even for the detractors of Brock Lesnar.

The bottom line is that Lesnar is a once a generation athlete, every WWE wrestler interview said that he is bar none the scariest guy that you can work with because if he decided he had enough of you there was nothing you can do about it.

The big thing that seperates Lesnar from every other Superstar isn't that he somehow dislikes or disrespects the business because he doesn't. But he does what other Superstars talk about. He decided early on that it was a business and a means to an end to live the lifestyle that he wanted to, which was that he wanted to spend time with his family as much as he could, and that he's intensely introverted and just doesn't like dealing with people much.

It got to the point with the travel that he bought a plane and hired a pilot to cut back on his time on the road and away from home. Probably when you look at that Lesnar was probably the most sane superstar that the WWE has every had, and the WWE in those two years didn't understand that.

It covered the botched moonsault, and Heyman even stated that Lesnar in a rare instant took bad advice from another wrestler in Kurt Angle.

There are some really good tidbits in this documentary, when he quit WWE he decided to try for the NFL, and even though he hadn't played football since highschool he was the very last cut of the Vikings which shows how much of a freak he was.

The MMA lifestyle was perfect for him, he could stay and train at home for 6 months and do 1 event and then go home.

When you combine this show with the Stone Cold interview of Brock, I think a picture forms of how much people and fans don't understand Lesnar so they make a simplified narrative that he hates the business and he hates the fan. Its furthest from the truth, Lesnar does like the act of the ring and the contact, he doesn't hate the fans, he just doesn't like being around people at all.

In a lot of ways, and they finally got it, because of what Lesnar is, the booking works, the guy is an event in itself, and when his music plays unlike other Superstars its an event and a oh shyte things are getting serious now, and for that him showing up for 10 dates a year or so works because it makes it an event.

At the end of the day will Lesnar go down as one of the greats, sure, will he be in the hall of fame certainly, will he be a uniquely polarizing figure that doesn't fit into the definition of sports entertainer, absolutely.

So far all of the episodes have been really good, last weeks on Evolution was awesome, the John Cena one was interesting and outstanding. A must watch for anyone who likes wrestling history.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #1619
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Is anyone else watching NWA? I have been loving it and watch Powerrrrr every week. Nick Aldis is a great champion brings a lot to them.
It is not the greatest show out there but I really like it and it reminds me of going to small shows back in the day.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #1620
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

MJF gonna MJF

"F*** THEM KIDS!"

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/04/aew-m...M4qPwLn5nSpCUc

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: