getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1262500753064722432
Old 05-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #582
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought I'd post this here for those of you that are maybe going through Clone Wars withdrawal, or maybe have never watched these.

But this is the 2003 brilliant animated Clone Wars series in one entire run.

While it doesn't have characters like Rex or Cody, it does brilliant things with Ventress, and Windu and Grievous is a certified bad a$$ jedi murderer without a cough. Anakin gets great treatment in here and there's a couple of scenes of amazing foreshadowing of his dark fate.

It also is not really considered Canon anymore but the episodes dealing with the kidnapping of the Chancellor, the first introduction of Grievous and the murder of Shaggy from Scooby Doo are all here.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #583
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

OK this looks freaking awesome, was this posted yet?

CC you were born to be the Jedi Master on this show. I can just imagine you belittling all the kids about their lack of knowledge. Mixing military prowess with the Jedi arts. Pushing these little twerps to the brink of tears.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #584
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I could totally be the Sith villain in that.

I'm surprised its not on the Disney Channel, it actually looks like a unique show.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #585
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was originally announced as a Disney+ Original, but because of the pandemic, they decided to release it to their YouTube channels instead.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #586
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
OK this looks freaking awesome, was this posted yet?

CC you were born to be the Jedi Master on this show. I can just imagine you belittling all the kids about their lack of knowledge. Mixing military prowess with the Jedi arts. Pushing these little twerps to the brink of tears.
I'm more intrigued as to how they circumvented child exploitation and labour laws.

Are they filming this in Florida?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #587
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It reminds me of the game show I watched as a kid where they run through the video game course at the end sticking games onto a velcro shirt. I had to google it, this show is weirder than I remember, and the course is a lot shorter. But damn as a kid it looked fun.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #588
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that's look cool. I wish I could be 20 years younger again.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #589
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It reminds me of the game show I watched as a kid where they run through the video game course at the end sticking games onto a velcro shirt. I had to google it, this show is weirder than I remember, and the course is a lot shorter. But damn as a kid it looked fun.

I remember loving this show as a kid. Anyone else notice that the hosts are touching the kids way more than is necessary though?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #590
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly feel like it looks kinda lame, even for a kid.

We made more exciting looking scenarios in our back yard with nothing but imagination and cut-off hockey sticks.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #591
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I would like to visit said back yard please. I’ll bring the beer.

One of the best parts of having a little boy is that I can have light saber battles, totally into it, without looking like a weirdo ... well at least without looking like that guy in the garage with the broom handle.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #592
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quick book review

Dark Disciple by Christie Golden

A few years back I really stopped buying Star Wars books and reading them, mainly because the New EU books were so disappointing and poorly written compared to the Legends EU books. So I was surprised late last week when I was going through my storage and found a box of books and found this hardcover at the bottom. Had I read it? No, and I'll tell you why. Because I bought this book at the same time as I bought the Aftermath novels, and after reading them packed up a bunch of Star Wars books and put them into storage.

But being in basically isolation and not having a job has allowed me some time to read, and I said, hey man what the duck. I pulled this book out and started reading it.

Dark Disciple focus around two key characters. Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos. Ventress had become one of the most interesting characters in the Clone Wars series as she went from a assassin under Dooku to a Night Sister to a Bountry hunter and seemed to be on a path to redemption, last scene in the final Ahsoka arc of season 5. Vos was a major Jedi character in the Legends EU as a betrayer of the Jedi who eventually returned to the fold, in Clone Wars he made one appearance as a slightly over energetic goofy character in one episode.

This book was meant originally to be a story arc in the Clone Wars and I hope someday they do it. This takes place after the betrayal by Barriss and the Jedi council is still reeling over that betrayal.

The basic premise of this book is that Count Dooku perpetrates another slaughter of civilians and the Jedi Council decides that he needs to be assassinated as a major step in ending the war. They decide to use Vos as the assassin and order him to find and befriend Dooku's former apprentice Ventress to help him. Vos passes himself off as a bounty hunter and not a Jedi. However things get complicated as the two of them fall in love, which is against the Jedi Code.

This is a seriously dark book. First of all, we get to finally see Dooku at his height of evil. He was serious business throughout this novel, and conniving and ruthless. At the same time everything that he does has a huge angle of truth.

Ventress continues to be one of the most interesting characters in the Star Wars storyline as she struggles to get past her tragic past that drove her down the dark path and try to self redeem herself.

At the same time, this book really pushes out why maybe it was time for the Jedi to fade from existence. In ROTS when they talk about taking over the Senate after toppling Palpating Yoda commented that they were going down a dark path. After reading this book you realize how dark a path the Jedi were one and how lost they had become, this book is well worth reading just to see this.

Anakin and Kenobi play a background role, but you begin to see Kenobi making decisions that would haunt him for the rest of his day as Vos becomes the proto Anakin.

We also see that Mace is probably one of the most ruthless aholes in Star Wars history.

We do get reintroduced in a minor way to characters from the Clone Wars series. We get a brief run with a more ruthless and jaded Boba Fett and some other bounty hunters in the series, we also get a scene with Palpatine as the Dark Lord and though its brief the author creates a huge sense of fear and menace out of it and just by describing this character in a holo communication you realize what Sidious is.

Christie does a great job in writing this book, the narrative style really lets you see into the hearts and thoughts of the characters. She writes heartbreak and tragedy very well and this book is really an emotional roller coaster.

If you're into Star Wars novels, I really have to strongly recommend it.

Spoiler!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #593
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a great book, haven't read it since it came out, perhaps I'll check it out again.

I wish we could have gotten that 6-8 episode Clone Wars arc that was alluded to about this arc when TCW was cancelled.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #594
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Honestly feel like it looks kinda lame, even for a kid.

We made more exciting looking scenarios in our back yard with nothing but imagination and cut-off hockey sticks.
This might be true, but lameness isn't typically something Star Wars fans are afraid of.
In fact it's often embraced.

I have cancelled my Disney+ until more Star Wars content is released. I'm pretty sure this will be season 2 of Mandalorian (which I'm very excited for).
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #595
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler chapter for a book that will be released January 2021

https://www.ign.com/articles/read-th...-charles-soule
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #596
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its weird. Maybe the prequel trilogy broke me, but I was sitting at home, first time I wasn't stressed in a long time, and I turned on Solo. And I liked it. Is it possible that Rise of Skywalker set the bar so low that Solo was actually enjoyable?

Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #597
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My Nephew bought me the Imperial Handbook and the Book of the Sith a few years back as a Christmas Present.

I actually thumbed through the Imperial Handbook. It was interesting, besides talking about the Equipment it also was broken into the seperate services Navy, Army Storm Troopers.

What was cool was it wasn't written like the Empire was evil. It was written that the Empire was a reformative government that was only interested in restoring galactic peace. You could even read the justifications and nod your head at it as making sense. The Republic had fallen due to utter corruption, and stabbed in the back by the Jedi. At the same time anarchists, holdovers from the separatists wanted to come back and shatter order and peace in a vain attempt to restore a system that clearly made everyone suffer.

What was cool in the writings was that you could almost read underlying hints at racism against Aliens who had thrown in with the Rebels, and other Aliens who were only good as cannon fodder.

IT was cool to see the history of the Imperial Navy and its superiority over the Army and Storm Troopers. The Army who were all about the long tranditions of the former republic and were the hammer and nail that kept the Empire together, and finally Storm Troopers, the knife edge assault troops of the Empire and traced their history back to the Heroic Clone Troopers.

What was fun was that there were notes from Luke Leia and Han and others written after the fall of the empire, and they came across as slightly arrogant and overly confident about what happened, so when you watch the Sequel movies it makes you feel like they deserved what happened.

The Book of the Sith is far darker, written by Palpatine it covers the history of the Sith and the Sith Jedi Wars. Talks about the 1000 year grand plan that toppled the republic. Had a full section on Sith Lords like Bane and Malgus and even Plageuis. A section written by Mother Talzon.

Its a interesting read from the view point of the Sith that the Jedi were limited, but also dishonest in labeling anyone that didn't agree with them as evil, and that arrogance lead to the toppling of the Jedi Order.

Palpatine was determined in this book to be the last Sith Lord and viewed the rule of two as a formality. I was kind of surprised that they didn't give much space to Vitiate from the SWTOR game who was one of the most powerful Sith in history.

The notes had writings by Palpatine as he critiqued Sith knowledge, Yoda and Mace which kind of confused me a bit until I realized that Palpatine had taken a great deal of this material from the Jedi temple after the fall of the Republic.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #598
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its weird. Maybe the prequel trilogy broke me, but I was sitting at home, first time I wasn't stressed in a long time, and I turned on Solo. And I liked it. Is it possible that Rise of Skywalker set the bar so low that Solo was actually enjoyable?
Post OT, I found that Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, Solo, were the only watchable Star Wars, in that order. So yeah, the standards have fallen.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #599
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Solo is an excellent movie. Bad timing, that’s all.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hixxes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #600
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bad Batch, a new animated series to debut on Disney+ next year: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...eries-announce

Quote:
The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.