Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #1421
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nixon does have some 37mm watches. Depending on what you’re really after Casio has a bunch of styles around that size. They are also well under 150.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #1422
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay, cool. So you figure 37mm is what I'm after then?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #1423
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, cool. So you figure 37mm is what I'm after then?
If you want to go crazy, check out the classic black and gold Movado 70th anniversary edition at costco.ca for $499. It is a 37 I believe - I bought that watch in 1996. Very classy.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #1424
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
If you want to go crazy, check out the classic black and gold Movado 70th anniversary edition at costco.ca for $499. It is a 37 I believe - I bought that watch in 1996. Very classy.
You may remember me from the wine thread where I was looking for boxed wine. We're not classy like that.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's not really the look I think my kid would like. He's a snowboarder so I'm looking for something a bit "hipper," I guess would be the word. I thought of Nixon as perhaps fitting the bill. I looked at Swatch, but nothing there seemed particularly cool to me. Imma check Fossil...maybe they'll have something.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #1425
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has a cover charge pleb.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #1426
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Belonged to our father who died in 1963.

Last edited by homestand; 08-29-2018 at 11:01 PM.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #1427
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You may remember me from the wine thread where I was looking for boxed wine. We're not classy like that.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's not really the look I think my kid would like. He's a snowboarder so I'm looking for something a bit "hipper," I guess would be the word. I thought of Nixon as perhaps fitting the bill. I looked at Swatch, but nothing there seemed particularly cool to me. Imma check Fossil...maybe they'll have something.
Storm makes really cool looking watches that could be a fit. Somewhat limited in the 150 range but if you could go up to 200 options are a bit better.

www.stormwatches.com

I had one when I was a teen and loved it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #1428
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah those are nice with some options better suited to a tween+. I'll check those out a little better later.

Definitely thought this would be much easier. I'm noticing a few options for little kids, lots for adults, some for tweens, and very little that would appeal to the 10-13 set.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #1429
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah those are nice with some options better suited to a tween+. I'll check those out a little better later.

Definitely thought this would be much easier. I'm noticing a few options for little kids, lots for adults, some for tweens, and very little that would appeal to the 10-13 set.
Is he a Star Wars fan? The Nixon Time Teller is a 37mm and comes in some pretty cool character themes. Vader, BB8, R2, etc, but doesn't look like a cheesy kids watch. Likely in your price range.

https://www.nixon.com/ca/en/time-tel...r=2244#start=1
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #1430
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Is he a Star Wars fan? The Nixon Time Teller is a 37mm and comes in some pretty cool character themes. Vader, BB8, R2, etc, but doesn't look like a cheesy kids watch. Likely in your price range.

https://www.nixon.com/ca/en/time-tel...r=2244#start=1
Damn, that is 100% exactly what I'm looking for. Cool for a kid, analog, stylish, better than a $12 Wal-Mart watch. The only problem is he isn't a Star Wars fan in spite of my best efforts. He's seen all the movies, but only to humour me.

That is exactly what I'm looking for, though, minus the Star Wars nods.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #1431
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is exactly what I'm looking for, though, minus the Star Wars nods.
If he's into the snowboard/skate scene they also do a Santa Cruz line of the Time Teller.

Wordmark logo or the old school screaming hand logo.

https://www.nixon.com/ca/en/time-tel...r_A045_size=00
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #1432
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
If he's into the snowboard/skate scene they also do a Santa Cruz line of the Time Teller.

Wordmark logo or the old school screaming hand logo.

https://www.nixon.com/ca/en/time-tel...r_A045_size=00
Oh wow the screaming hand logo is it. Thanks man! I thought I saw all the watches on their site, but not those. You nailed it...thanks a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #1433
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That’s a Santa Cruz special edition. How about some matching Pumas?

https://ca.puma.com/en/ca/pd/puma-x-...h%20Risk%20Red
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #1434
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Not too special but I like it and it was a graduation gift.
Marathon SAR
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #1435
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh wow the screaming hand logo is it. Thanks man! I thought I saw all the watches on their site, but not those. You nailed it...thanks a lot.
You’ll have to update us on how he liked it.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #1436
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thread Bump!

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I had a quick look around and couldn't find the answer I may be looking for.

I was wondering where the Calgary watch group goes for servicing for their automatic time pieces?

I have a few Oris watches I purchased from Jewels by Maximes or Maximes as they are called now. Anyhow, they are in need of basic servicing as they are not keeping time as well as they should. Probably losing a minute or so a day. How often do you all get your automatic timepieces serviced? I think mine has had 2 services in 15+ years so I think am due.

Previously I had sent them away for servicing to Montreal for "official service center" etc. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with anybody local? Anybody have any experience with Swiss Watch Clinic on 14 Street and 18 Ave SW in the Beltline?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by curves2000; 08-08-2019 at 04:48 AM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #1437
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Thread Bump!

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I had a quick look around and couldn't find the answer I may be looking for.

I was wondering where the Calgary watch group goes for servicing for their automatic time pieces?

I have a few Oris watches I purchased from Jewels by Maximes or Maximes as they are called now. Anyhow, they are in need of basic servicing as they are not keeping time as well as they should. Probably losing a minute or so a day. How often do you all get your automatic timepieces serviced? I think mine has had 2 services in 15+ years so I think am due.

Previously I had sent them away for servicing to Montreal for "official service center" etc. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with anybody local? Anybody have any experience with Swiss Watch Clinic on 14 Street and 18 Ave SW in the Beltline?

Thanks in advance!
I did not have a good experience with Swiss Watch Clinic repairing a vintage chronograph. Not sure about a basic service.

I did have one watch serviced at Alberta Time Services downtown. No complaints but I did service just the one watch.

I don't know it that helps much.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #1438
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

+1 for Alberta time services as well. I have a couple of watches serviced there in the past.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #1439
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

He fixed my grandpa's old Waltham pocket watch up for me. Not cheap, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing. I've had a few watches serviced by him and where batteries used to last a year when I'd get them done at the Bay, they last 2 or 3 years after a service with him. So that makes it a bit more worth the extra cost.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #1440
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to bump this thread, and see if anyone had anything new watches to share. I've been finding watches to be a good distraction lately.

Myself, the last noteworthy watch I bought, a Speedmaster sapphire-sandwich, was almost 10 years ago now (Jeebus, where did that decade go). Priorities have greatly shifted since that time, but with my 40th on the horizon, I've been hoping to get something noteworthy again... assuming the world doesn't completely burn down.

A few contenders as of now:

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Has been on my list ever since I spied it on a wrist of a former boss. I never got Rolex till I saw this watch in action. A great all-arounder.
Spoiler!

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm Silver dial - Classy as ####. I find most Rolexes to be too busy/cheesy/bougie.. but I can't deny the power of a clean OP, especially in the silver dial. Black dial is great too, but in that case might as well get the Explorer.
Spoiler!

Tudor Fifty Eight - I really love what Tudor has been doing lately (especially now that they are doing in-house movements), and I find this to be a solid Submariner alternative at a relatively great price. Speaking of Tudor, also love the Black Bay 36, which is a solid Explorer competitor.
Spoiler!

Omega Railmaster 1957 - Great vintage looking watch, with modern hardware.
Spoiler!

Nomos Tangente - Another brand that I'm always drawn to in person. A few too many versions out there though, so hard to settle on a design.
Spoiler!

And if for some reason, my financial position balloons and/or watch prices crater, there's always this grail:
Vacheron Constantin Overseas - A worthy alternative to the Nautilius 5711/1a or Royal Oak Jumbo.
Spoiler!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: