Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #41
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Depends on whether they go 7-3 FvD or 8 skaters. I haven't worked out if Dube would be eligible or not, though.
Wouldnt he be at 3 years of Pro hockey and finishing his ELC by then? Would make him eligible.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
While I agree the worry is unnecessary, you’re not really getting the potential issue. It’s not that Seattle would pick him. It’s that Calgary is forced to protect him, using up one of their protection spots and thereby exposing a player they otherwise would not have.

And I’m glad Lucic has a contract that provides little to no buyout relief. Buying out Brouwer is a part of this whole mess.

Oh I am very aware of the issue thanks, but I keep reading how Lucic will waive so he can be exposed and Seattle will grab him so he can be close to Vancouver. (Which is really odd logic on its own)

Im merely pointing out that even if he does waive to be exposed...there is no chance he would be picked.

As for your last sentence...what?

You prefer to be locked in to a horribly flawed contract on a really bad hockey player with no realistic way out?

Why?
Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #43
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on whether they go 7-3 FvD or 8 skaters. I haven't worked out if Dube would be eligible or not, though.
https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-202...ed/c-302586918

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

By the time the expansion draft comes, Valimaki and Dube will be 3rd year pros and will have to be protected as I understand it.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is, if you have to expose Mangiapane and Dube anyway, having to protect Lucic probably doesn't matter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #45
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is, if you have to expose Mangiapane and Dube anyway, having to protect Lucic probably doesn't matter.
Well. It does matter in the sense that we can't go 4-4 if we have have to protect Lucic, unless we want to lose Lindholm. But no matter which configuration we use, we're exposing a bunch of players around the same value and they can only take one.

It's a much better situation to be in than the Vegas expansion draft, where the Flames depth was so bad, that the UFA Engelland was the BPA LOL

Last edited by Geeoff; 07-21-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #46
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames ask Lucic to waive for expansion, does that waive the NMC completely?

If so, that's a big reason for him NOT to waive... so he doesn't get his useless ass sent to ECHL
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Well. It does matter in the sense that we can't go 4-4 if we have have to protect Lucic, unless we want to lose Lindholm. But no matter which configuration we use, we're exposing a bunch of players around the same value and they can only take one.

It's a much better situation to be in than the Vegas expansion draft, where the Flames depth was so bad, that the UFA Engelland was the BPA LOL
4-4 I'd make a deal with Seattle so as to protect Lindholm, Johnny, Monahan and MT. But I really don't see the Flames going 4-4 and losing two skater slots.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Oh I am very aware of the issue thanks, but I keep reading how Lucic will waive so he can be exposed and Seattle will grab him so he can be close to Vancouver. (Which is really odd logic on its own)

Im merely pointing out that even if he does waive to be exposed...there is no chance he would be picked.

As for your last sentence...what?

You prefer to be locked in to a horribly flawed contract on a really bad hockey player with no realistic way out?

Why?
Still not sure you get it. No one is worried about losing him to Seattle.

And thing is buyouts aren’t free. Flames would be better off never having bought out Brouwer and get him off the books sooner.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #49
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Came in looking for a time machine. Leaving disappointed.
When this thread reaches 88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious ####.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #50
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Flames go 4-4 without Lucic

Forwards: Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm
Defense: Gio, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki

Key exposed players: Backlund, Dube, Bennett, Kylington, Hamonic?
By the time expansion is upon us a lot will change. Giordano could become expendable depending on progression
7-3 with Lucic

Forwards: Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Lucic
Defense: Gio, Valimaki, Andersson

Key exposed players: Hanifin, Bennett, Kylington, Hamonic?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Protected List:

So much will change between now and then, assuming Lucic waives, it will be a tough call between who to lose at forward... Dubé, Mangiapane or Bennett?

On D, Giordano could become expendable in favour of Andersson or Kylington? *I also assume Hamonic is not re-signed.

7, 3 and 1 goalie route.

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Dubé
Mangiapane or Bennett

Hanafin
Valimaki
Andersson or Kylington

Rittich or ?

The 4 and 4 plus 1 goalie scenario. (If Andersson progresses or Kylington explodes)

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk

Valimaki
Hanafin
Andersson
Kylington

Rittich or ?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
So much will change between now and then, assuming Lucic waives, it will be a tough call between who to lose at forward... Dubé, Mangiapane or Bennett?

On D, Giordano could become expendable in favour of Andersson or Kylington? *I also assume Hamonic is not re-signed.

7, 3 and 1 goalie route.

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Dubé
Mangiapane or Bennett

Hanafin
Valimaki
Andersson or Kylington

Rittich or ?

The 4 and 4 plus 1 goalie scenario. (If Andersson progresses or Kylington explodes)

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk

Valimaki
Hanafin
Andersson
Kylington

Rittich or ?
That's pretty much how I see it, though not re-signing Hamonic is pretty tough.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:17 AM   #53
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two years from now, I would expect that no more than 2 of Dube, Mangiapane or Bennett will be with the Flames. And quite possibly less.

Of course there will be other guys to protect.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #54
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

BT confirmed on his interview that based on contract and timing of expansion of draft they have no concerns regarding Lucic and NMC for expansion draft.

BT did not want to comment on Lucic's contract specifics why he felt that way but my interpretation is that capfriendly is correct and that Lucic contract does become an NTC just prior to expansion draft and therefore Lucic does not need to be protected.

BT stated we did our homework and are quite comfortable with the scenario.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
BT confirmed on his interview that based on contract and timing of expansion of draft they have no concerns regarding Lucic and NMC for expansion draft.

BT did not want to comment on Lucic's contract specifics why he felt that way but my interpretation is that capfriendly is correct and that Lucic contract does become an NTC just prior to expansion draft and therefore Lucic does not need to be protected.

Anyone else have a Feaster flashback reading this?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way too early. Not sure why fans get so stressed about this. Lots can and will change in a couple of years time. Flames lost nobody last draft so even if they lose a decent player it's not the end of the world.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #57
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
If the Flames ask Lucic to waive for expansion, does that waive the NMC completely?

If so, that's a big reason for him NOT to waive... so he doesn't get his useless ass sent to ECHL
A player can agree to waive for one transaction, he just needs to make that clear and have the team he's going to agree to it. otherwise, he presumably doesn't waive.

The situation where a clause dies is when a player gets traded prior to a NTC becoming effective. In that case, the new team can choose to ignore it.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #58
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I thought capfriendly said he has a modified NTC as well as a NMC in 2021
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #59
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving didn't exactly say that. Lucic will still have his NMC, but based on BT's vague comments, he's not worried that Lucic will refuse to waive it for the expansion draft.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #60
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really think that the Flames will trade something with Seattle (like a goalie if one or more of Parsons/Gillies/Schneider pan out or a 2nd round draft pick) to ensure Seattle to select a good player with a semi-bad contract like Backlund.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote