Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #241
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I was just reading an article in the Herald on e-scooters. Edmonton has started their pilot and taken the opposite approach to Calgary. Banned on sidewalks allowed on roads with 50k and below speed limit.

Will be a good study to see which model does the best.
this makes more sense to me... i don't see why scooters are treated differently than bicycles... though i think drivers would need time to adjust to them, they are no different than a bike
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #242
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah I've had my scooter a few months now. It definitely belongs on the road.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #243
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah I've had my scooter a few months now. It definitely belongs on the road.
I thought I heard this morning that there were different rules for private vs lime/bird escooters
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #244
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I was just reading an article in the Herald on e-scooters. Edmonton has started their pilot and taken the opposite approach to Calgary. Banned on sidewalks allowed on roads with 50k and below speed limit.

Will be a good study to see which model does the best.
Calgary obviously, Edmonton sucks
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #245
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw a guy riding a Lime tonight while standing on a case of beer. Clever.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #246
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think these things on roads is a bad idea. Most people can’t seem to keep a steady straight line, and being on a road in traffic riders will feel pressured to go top speed which they may not handle. When driving and I pass someone on a bike I don’t worry that they’re going to make a sudden swerve. Cyclists can generally keep a consistent predictable straight line.

There really isn’t a proper place for them but on bike paths but that limits connectivity. For now, sidewalks seems the better route. Your collisions end up scooter-pedestrian as opposed to Edmonton being vehicle-scooter.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #247
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, seriously, after about 9:00 allowing scooters in the road is an absolute recipe for disaster. Even a fairly drunk idiot can keep a line on a bike, while entirely sober people can hardly operate a scooter with any proficiency.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A women was crossing Memorial at the ped crossing, she was there before me, but also appeared to have maybe just activated the scooter. So I let her go, and hung back as she seemed a bit nervous. Well she successfully made it across the road, proceed to be unable to turn right, and was heading straight for the garbage bin. Just before impact she hoped off, right into the rather large puddle, thoroughly soaking the little shoe slippers she was wearing... That may have been her first and last scooter ride!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #249
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A women was crossing Memorial at the ped crossing, she was there before me, but also appeared to have maybe just activated the scooter. So I let her go, and hung back as she seemed a bit nervous. Well she successfully made it across the road, proceed to be unable to turn right, and was heading straight for the garbage bin. Just before impact she hoped off, right into the rather large puddle, thoroughly soaking the little shoe slippers she was wearing... That may have been her first and last scooter ride!
You need a dash cam for your bike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #250
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty proud of myself for not laughing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched a guy ride on the sidewalk directly into a pedestrian distracted on his phone. Funny thing is he could have been in the cycle track, but chose the sidewalk. I'm starting to change my opinion on these things, they are kinda entertaining.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #252
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm living in Barcelona right now, and scooters seem like the first choice for transportation.
Most people seem to own instead of renting, although they do have bird and one other rental service as well.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #253
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears that with the end of summer Lime has reduced the Home Zone from the entire city to the smaller inner-city area they had when the bikes first launched. Also seeing that everything outside that home zone is shaded orange and a few scooter riders have reported that when they entered that orange zone the app says "speed restricted area" and the scooters drop down to 8km/h.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #254
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
this makes more sense to me... i don't see why scooters are treated differently than bicycles... though i think drivers would need time to adjust to them, they are no different than a bike
The problem is not cars, it's the scooter users and their total lack of awareness.

A few days ago in the middle of rush hour some nutjob on a scooter went from the sidewalk on 6th Ave to the road itself and proceeded to turn 3 lanes of traffic to make a left turn on 11st while cars are screeching and honking nearly causing an accident. How do you report those yahoos?

I personally think anyone on a road should have a license and insurance including cyclists. Seen many cyclist cause accidents include one cutting traffic for a 3 lane turn and smashed head first in a car in a blind lane. The guy cycled off while the poor lady in the car is in shock while she has a major dent in her side door. Car drivers get dinged for careless driving, cyclist and scooter users should be too.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #255
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

City of Calgary had a presentation at the Bike Calgary Gala last night, I believe these scooter and bike trip numbers were up to the end of August:

Bikes
-158,000 trips
-37,000 unique riders
-360,000 km ridden
-1.8 km/trip average

Scooters
-542,000 trips
-142,000 unique riders
-1.1 million km ridden
-1.2 km/trip average
Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #256
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that Lime bike trips & Lime/Bird scooter trips, or all bike and scooter trips?
If it's all, that's pretty crazy!
I thought maybe it would be a trend, but as mentioned above, I'm in Barcelona right now and there a huge portion of non-car traffic are private scooters; maybe lower then bikes, but not significantly.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #257
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Lime bike trips and the Lime/Bird scooter trips.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #258
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
City of Calgary had a presentation at the Bike Calgary Gala last night, I believe these scooter and bike trip numbers were up to the end of August:

Bikes
-158,000 trips
-37,000 unique riders
-360,000 km ridden
-1.8 km/trip average

Scooters
-542,000 trips
-142,000 unique riders
-1.1 million km ridden
-1.2 km/trip average
Listening to an interview with Lime CEO Joe Kraus the other day, think he mentioned that scooter rentals are about 90% of their business over bikes. Makes you wonder why they even started with bikes in the here. Huge numbers for both though, 1.1million km ridden is huge.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #259
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting with bikes made sense since they launched in October last year, the bikes handle pretty well over our winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #260
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Bikes
-158,000 trips
-37,000 unique riders
-360,000 km ridden
-1.8 km/trip average

Scooters
-542,000 trips
-142,000 unique riders
-1.1 million km ridden
-1.2 km/trip average
If the definition of unique riders means what I interpret it to be those are staggering numbers for scooters. That’s roughly 1 in 10 Calgarians and if you discount children and seniors who are probably less likely to ride I would guess that number approaches 1 in 5.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote