Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I tend to think that if he does get to the NHL, there is no post-college flight risk here.
Unless Ken King does a drastic jersey re-design
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 AM   #22
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

At first I was going to comment that I would have thrown a hail mary to Johnny Gruden, not only for the epic name, but also because I like his game, but now I've seen the Flames gear that's out the window. Welcome to the team, Mathias! Looking forward to you wearing the Flaming C for many years to come.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #23
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The logo is what initially caught his attention.

"That," confesses Mathias Emilio Pettersen, "was my first main thing.
I've always said that a good sports logo is one that a child can easily doodle and interact with. It's easier for them to interact with, and helps to create a bond that can last well into adulthood.

As many misteps the Flames have made with their jerseys, at least they have been smart enough to not mess with theirs. It's a fantastic logo.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Dmitri getting some love in his draft thread so I thought I would bump this thread. Petersen has 11 pts in his first 6 games at the Univeristy of Denver. I’m no scout, but that sounds damn good for pick 167. I believe he’s first in ppg for all freshman. I thought others who don’t follow prosepcts as closely as others should be aware of this kid.

Who needs that first rounder anyways

Last edited by Beninho; 11-05-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I saw Dmitri getting some love in his draft thread so I thought I would bump this thread. Petersen has 11 pts in his first 6 games at the Univeristy of Denver. I’m no scout, but that sounds damn good for pick 167. I believe he’s first in ppg for all freshman. I thought others who don’t follow prosepcts as closely as others should be aware of this kid.

Who needs that first rounder anyways
And the other one from that draft is Martin Pospisil.

Leads the USHL with 25 points in 13 games, and probably should have went to NCAA because he is killing the USHL.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #26
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are TWO Petterson's?!?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He will be the better E-something Pettersen!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And the other one from that draft is Martin Pospisil.

Leads the USHL with 25 points in 13 games, and probably should have went to NCAA because he is killing the USHL.
And the OTHER, other one from that draft is Zavgorodiy, who is IIRC 5th in QMJHL scoring with 28 points in 17 games.

Pretty good draft early on for not having a pick until 105th overall in round 4.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
And the OTHER, other one from that draft is Zavgorodiy, who is IIRC 5th in QMJHL scoring with 28 points in 17 games.

Pretty good draft early on for not having a pick until 105th overall in round 4.

I loved that pick as he seems to have such a high compete level all over the ice. Sure, he is probably having his stats inflated a bit by Alex the wunderkid, but ZavGod oozes a lot of talent as well. He reminds me a bit of Datsyuk with his backchecking.

Really strong year for the Flames in finding these late-round gems. Eventually the Flames get a real solid player out of the bunch.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #30
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I loved that pick as he seems to have such a high compete level all over the ice. Sure, he is probably having his stats inflated a bit by Alex the wunderkid, but ZavGod oozes a lot of talent as well. He reminds me a bit of Datsyuk with his backchecking.

Really strong year for the Flames in finding these late-round gems. Eventually the Flames get a real solid player out of the bunch.

They play on different lines for the most part.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #31
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The post I quoted him mentioned him already but yeah the other forgetten name is Koumontzis. Who is off to a good start, especially considering the tough jump from US High School to NCAA.

Any way you slice it, it looks like a good draft so far for the Flames.

USHL Leading Scorer - Pospisil > 25 points in 13 games

Top NCAA scoring freshman (8th in PPG overall) - Pettersen > 11 points in 6 games

10th Best NCAA Scoring Freshman - Koumontzis > 7 points in 10 games

QMJHL 5TH best scoring player (2nd among U-19s) - Zavgorodny > 28 points in 19 games
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if there's much of an 'advantage' for the later round selections when you don't have any top picks. Of course it hurts the organization huge as they don't have anyone in the top 100 picks, but just from the 100th pick onwards.

When all the other teams are looking at the "top 100" prospects throughout the year, knowing that the player they pick with their top 3 picks could make or break their draft, the Flames can spend extra resources with some reassurance that they probably aren't drafting top 15 anyways.

Like how much extra time would the Flames have spent looking at Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Dellandrea, etc. if they knew they were picking in that range. Instead, they could take some time to go and send their top scouts and watch Team Northeast play in the UMHSEHL and focus on Koumontzis.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #33
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I wonder if there's much of an 'advantage' for the later round selections when you don't have any top picks. Of course it hurts the organization huge as they don't have anyone in the top 100 picks, but just from the 100th pick onwards.

When all the other teams are looking at the "top 100" prospects throughout the year, knowing that the player they pick with their top 3 picks could make or break their draft, the Flames can spend extra resources with some reassurance that they probably aren't drafting top 15 anyways.

Like how much extra time would the Flames have spent looking at Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Dellandrea, etc. if they knew they were picking in that range. Instead, they could take some time to go and send their top scouts and watch Team Northeast play in the UMHSEHL and focus on Koumontzis.
I would guess probably not that much. I think scouts have to be prepared for everything. For all they know the Flames could have picked up a first rounder the day of the draft.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. I remember Fan960 interviewing former scouts around the time of the draft, and they were asked that exact question. Said they needed to be prepared for any pick because the GM could make a trade.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanna say I really appreciate the OP’s making these threads on our later picks. Really nice for guys like me who would otherwise be totally ignorant to their progress.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #36
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bump!

Pronman (The Athletic) identified Emilio as the 2018 draft's biggest riser (to-date), considering him a legitimate NHL prospect who should have likely been drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd round.

Quote:
Early on in this NCAA season, though, the promise of Pettersen’s skill set is on display. He’s a driver at even-strength, and creating off the half-wall on the top power play unit for one of the best schools in the country. I’ve watched Denver games where he stands out in arguably the best conference in the NCAA, making highly skilled plays and moving the puck very well. He also shows good pace and elusiveness.
https://theathletic.com/673290/2018/...018-nhl-draft/

He also identifies Pospisil and Big Z as 2 of the other top risers. Giving us 3 out of the top 12 risers. Great draft (so far) from the Flames with limited resources.

Makes the lack of higher picks sting less.

Last edited by Funkhouser; 11-27-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #37
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Crap! I’ve been to a couple DU games with my kids hockey teams this year, and did not put 2+2 together, so I wasn’t focusing much.

What I do recall is that his quickness stood out.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
... Big Z ...
Isn’t it “Little Z”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canucks are going to hate when we have the better Pettersen.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Canucks are going to hate when we have the better Pettersen.
And we already have the better Elias of course.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote