Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #41
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If so, fine, but that isn't what determines your value as a hockey player. It's a part of the puzzle, sure, but it certainly isn't the big picture in this case. There is no chance in hell that Sundqvist has more value than Bennett. Sissons is probably up for debate because playoff experience inflates a guy's contract value, but even there, I'm doubtful.
The contract year that just ended is way more important than 2015-2016 stats. Bennett will have a hard time getting more than either of these guys.

And why exactly does Sissons have better playoff experience than Sundqvist who just won the cup?

Also both of these guys arguably play more center than Bennett which is a more valuable position (Sundqvist definitely)
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #42
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
between his style of play, inability to produce offense and his relatively poor defensive abilities, Bennett's agent should absolutely be advising him to take term if it's offered.

If I was his agent I would be looking at this deal and saying if the flames offer 2x6 you take it and run.
Disagree. He is, what, 22? Has been slotted mainly third line, and has produced okay.

Lots of players take a step at 24/25. No way you sign away your prime years at a low rate early, if you see upside.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #43
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bennett 7 years 3.75 per.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Owen15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I think Bennett wants to work himself up to a $5MM to $6MM contract by his next deal (2 or 3 years down the road). I don't believe he will, but I can see he and his agent believing it's possible.

I would sign Mangiapane to a deal like this though. Maybe closer to the $2MM than the $3MM, but I think a long term deal with low AAV would be low risk/high reward for Mangiapane. I really liked how his game grew last year.
I think it works for both sides to give Bennett a bridge and see if he can work himself up to that range. If he truly can get to the point where his next contract is 5-6M, then we're finally looking at a guy scoring 50 to 60 points. We'd all be ecstatic.

I have my doubts that he will ever hit that, but hey, you never know. It also gives him the motivation to try to improve.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #45
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love this contract. As a player who is very likely a bottom 6 or maybe 2nd line material for durations of his career, this is a contract that appears to signed by someone who just wants to play, and understands what he likely brings to the NHL.

If it were me, and I knew where I stood in the league relative to everything, I would 100% sign a contract like this. I get to take home $20 million to set myself and my family up for life, and I also get to play hockey for the next 7 years of my life.

I wish all guys signed contracts like this. I understand money plays a big factor, and ego an even bigger factor. But honestly, this is such a team friendly contract. Someone posted that they hope Bennett signs this. I absolutely 100% agree. Wishful thinking that Gaudreau will sign this sort of contract (albeit higher dollar value) when his contract comes up.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #46
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There is no chance in hell that Sundqvist has more value than Bennett.
Sundvist easily has more value. The guy's great defensively. Read the signing thread of his on other media, many fans argued he was their top forward defensively. The same fans of the team with the reigning Selke trophy winner. He may not, likely won't, reach the offense needed to be a top six forward but he's an ideal third line shutdown guy (except he sucks at faceoffs).

This is not a knock on Bennett.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #47
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Bennett keeps getting squeezed ... you can see the middle class is going to pay for the boost to elite contracts.
My prediction when the cap came in was that eventually it would evolve into system where each team has about 5 elite players on lucrative long term contracts, followed by 3 or 4 on medium-pay long term deals, followed by about 15 or so players on minimum salary, short term deals.

There would be many more elite "lifers", but the bottom half will rotate constantly.

It's taking a lot longer than I though it would, but seeing how many more average players are getting squeezed every year, I can see it moving that way. Sissons was smart to sign a long term deal even if it seems like a discount now. Bennett would be smart to do the same.