Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #21
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Basically, a 3rd/4th line C that everyone hoped would be more a 2nd/3rd line C, which never ever was the case.
When he first got here, he was placed on the 1st line with Iggy and the hope is that he would flourish there.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I never understood the love with Stajan on CP. In eight full seasons, he averaged 7 goals/year. He made more than $3 million most of those years.

When they talked about the lack of production from the Flames bottom 6, they were talking about Stajan.

However, he was/is absolutely beloved on CP.
It's almost like it's about the people, and not just the goals
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I never understood the love with Stajan on CP. In eight full seasons, he averaged 7 goals/year. He made more than $3 million most of those years.

When they talked about the lack of production from the Flames bottom 6, they were talking about Stajan.

However, he was/is absolutely beloved on CP.
Yeah, of course.

So what? You're completely discounting the context of those years. We were rebuilding and through that process Stajan was a consummate professional that helped the team and its young players along while doing his job and and doing it well despite everything going on in his own life.

Was he overpaid? Sure. But its not as though we were desperate for cap space at the time. Engelland was overpaid too, but he, like Stajan, was absolutely perfect for what he brought, how he brought it and when.

If we had Stajan at $3M right now then the tune might be different, but he wasnt the hero we deserved, he was just the one we needed at the time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #24
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's almost like it's about the people, and not just the goals
And maybe it is both!

Stajan arguably scored the biggest goal in the past 15 years of the franchise? (Game 6 v. Canucks in '15)
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Domoic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #25
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stajan was a warrior, always went out and performed the hard jobs, killed penalties, sacrificed his body, stuck up for team mates, didn’t slack, didn’t complain, did everything asked of him. What’s not to love?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #26
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Iggy even told Lucic that Flames fans love heart and soul guys. That's what Staj was, on and off the ice. Lucic quote below.

"Then, of course, I had a really good talk with Jarome (Iginla). He told me what a great hockey town Calgary is, how much the people are behind the Flames. It's a fan base that loves seeing effort. They obviously want to win but regardless they love the heart-and-soul guys, the guys who give their all, who don't compromise, which I like to think speaks to the way I play"
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #27
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Stajan got crapped on a ton initially when expectations as the return piece for Phaneuf were high.

I think it's after he was getting crapped on, and also demoted in his role with the team, he still kept showing up with full effort and being a positive guy. This is when the tides of perception largely changed.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is still no good