Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianflame View Post
For me only Zagidulin makes a lot of sense, though let's see how it will end up soon.
The Marc Savard trade is redeemed at last!
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #23
russianflame
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
The Marc Savard trade is redeemed at last!
You wouldn’t believe but I was in Calgary when that trade happened
That was my only trip to Calgary in fall 2002 when I was young and brave
I was downstairs after one of 5 games I visited and a friend of mine who worked as a security in VIP zone at Saddledome came with details of the trade. There were a lot of people there who wanted to kick the ass of Button instantly
russianflame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to russianflame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
You weren't born yet, but Calgary opened the door to Russian players in 1989 by coming to terms with the Russian Federation and signing Sergei Priakin and then a couple years later with Sergei Makarov....The Priakin deal opened the door for the Russian 5 in Detroit.
Yeah I've read all about that. Really cool story. Just goes to show how times have changed. Zyuzin is the last Russian to play for the Flames (or Babchuk if you count Ukrainians)

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Im assming it's a Gillies replacement
Why? Gillies has been excellent for the past while - really finishing the season strongly.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the route the Flames are going to have to go through to get the next batch of up and coming prospects. Euro UFAs to replace traded draft picks. Not ideal, but free assets are free assets. Maybe one becomes a useful NHLer. That would be good.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is only a matter of time before you see a Russian or two in the organization. Flames have been actively scouting the KHL and trying to build relationships over there for the last few years IIRC. That hasn't happened for probably decades. They even drafted a Russian last draft, though he was playing in the Q. Flames were highly interested in Kucherov as well that draft.

I don't think that there exists a stigma against Russian players - definitely not in the last couple of regimes anyway. Even Sutter - who some people feel had a bias against Russians - drafted a Russian or two in his tenure.

Flames were one of the final 4 teams in on Panarin IIRC when he was deciding which team to sign with when coming over to the NHL. I found that a bit surprising since Russians SEEM to really prefer signing in areas with a strong Russian community presence (hello Tampa!).

We will have to see. Goalie, Defencemen, RW... all holes on this team. All three signings make sense, as you have to assume that Smith won't be back next season. That makes room in the organization. Maybe the Flames sign or trade for another goalie, or Gillies becomes the backup or is used as part of a trade to obtain one. There will probably be room for another goalie in the system next season, though Mason MacDonald has been showing that patience is virtue when it comes to goalies. There really isn't room, but room can be made. Until you see a goalie grab the backup spot (or even the starter's job), there is going to be room.

Defence is extremely shallow organizationally. That's why the Flames went out and traded for Fantenberg this past deadline, and it isn't clear that he is going to be kept next season (though Peters seems to really like him as he plays every game, so who knows?). Will Prout be re-signed? Kylington is there on the left side. I expect Stone to be dealt (somehow) this off-season as well. If they all leave, that leaves the Flames with a bottom pairing of Kylington and Andersson (and assuming Brodie doesn't get traded) with absolutely nobody left in Stockton on an NHL contract that you can legitimately count on to give you NHL minutes. Treliving is definitely going to be busy on defence this off-season.

RW has been a weakness for ages now since the departure of Iginla and Bourque (who seemed to have departed from the team way earlier than the actual trade). Neal (a lefty) hasn't been effective, even during his 'good games'. Frolik is looking like he is going to be traded away (and he is a lefty at that). I am still hopeful Neal finds his game in the playoffs, but it would be foolish not to try and make that right side stronger, even through depth.

These are the big three holes on the team IMO moving forward. They all make sense. Glad that Calgary has been a bigger player in the Euro market lately.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

bam

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
Calgary Flames are closing in on signing 23 year old KHL prospect goalie, Artyom Zagidulin. Not done yet, but expected to get done
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Only RH D with NHL contract for next year: Hamonic, Andersson, Stone. That is it. Nothing else.
Far be it for me to question the great SureLoss, but how many RHD would you want on 3 D pairings?
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wow. A signed Russian!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 03-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #32
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Far be it for me to question the great SureLoss, but how many RHD would you want on 3 D pairings?
well I would think you would want more than 3 in the entire organization. What if one of them goes down in injury? And there is still an AHL team that needs players.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-29-2019 at 01:00 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #33
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of the reasons I love being a part of CP is the fact that there are at times legit insiders where the first I hear of anything related to the Flames is on this site. It's also telling that I'd rather refresh CP on trade deadline or the draft or free agency than any other site.

Anyways, just went through a few threads where there was a lot of negativity so just wanted to shout out to the OP russianflame as well as CP in general!
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FusionX For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #34
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
well I would you would want more than 3 in the entire organization. What if one of them goes down in injury? And there is still an AHL team that needs players.
5 should be about the right number. Having a few that can play both sides also helps like Fantenberg.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianflame View Post
Guys,

Just got a really interesting information from a very reliable source close to KHL players. Even this source was shocked to hear it...

Flames are very-very close to sign or are frontrunners for:

23 yo G Artem Zagidulin from Metallurg Magnitogorsk
https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...tyom-zagidulin

23 yo D Alexander Yelesin from Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...xander-yelesin

26 yo RW Andrey Chibisov from Metallurg Magnitogorsk
https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ndrei-chibisov

For me only Zagidulin makes a lot of sense, though let's see how it will end up soon. Especially taking into account 2 Swedes that are rumoured in another treads here.
Alright, you need to post more now.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah I've read all about that. Really cool story. Just goes to show how times have changed. Zyuzin is the last Russian to play for the Flames (or Babchuk if you count Ukrainians)
Some of us have worked hard trying to forget the legacy of Zyuzin and considering Ukrainians as Russians is really just a timing issue, or at least thats what Vladimir tells me...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #37
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
5 should be about the right number. Having a few that can play both sides also helps like Fantenberg.

6 would be my absolute minimum considering we also have to ice an AHL team. Every right shot D in the organization is already up with the main team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
6 would be my absolute minimum considering we also have to ice an AHL team. Every right shot D in the organization is already up with the main team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's also the option of AHL contracts. The 50-contract limit at the NHL level also has to be enforced

Old 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #39
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Some of us have worked hard trying to forget the legacy of Zyuzin and considering Ukrainians as Russians is really just a timing issue, or at least thats what Vladimir tells me...

Ukrainians are not Russians and never will be! We will smash you and turn you into perogy stuffing!

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Ukrainians are not Russians and never will be! We will smash you and turn you into perogy stuffing!
Or they always were Russians and always will be...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: