Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #1781
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #1782
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
TMNT 2
Never saw the first, will not see the second. Pass.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #1783
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #1784
photon

Exp:

New Independance Day movie, don't see a YouTube video yet.

https://vid.me/lvBw

Kind of meh.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #1785
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
New Independance Day movie, don't see a YouTube video yet.

https://vid.me/lvBw

Kind of meh.
God help humanity if the aliens are no longer Mac compatible...
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #1786
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Jeff Goldblum must need the money
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #1787
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Jeff Goldblum must need the money
I think you're right, did you see his haircut in the movie!?
Old 12-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #1788
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Randy Quaid must be piiiiisssed.

Also, it looks like everyone, except for Will Smith needed the money.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #1789
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

never go full........
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #1790
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the youtube
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #1791
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Well that looks like Insurrection-level crap there...
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #1792
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As a huge nerd of Brutalism in architecture (the movement behind all those concrete eyesores from the 60s/70s...this tickles me in many ways.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #1793
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
Here's the youtube
For some reason it always bothers me when they can get the whole cast of a movie except for one person. I guess Will Smith has other hit movies on the go....oh wait.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #1794
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Well that looks like Insurrection-level crap there...
Working trailer

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #1795
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it looks like fun! Nice to see a trailer that isn't all dark and serious and self-important (if you remember the Into Darkness trailers). Seems to all take place on an alien world with lots of alien characters. I'm looking forward to it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #1796
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
For some reason it always bothers me when they can get the whole cast of a movie except for one person. I guess Will Smith has other hit movies on the go....oh wait.
Rumor has it he wanted $50 million and a role for his son.

so they blew up his plane.

That alone would make an awesome movie.

Scene 1 with Jaden and Will Smith test flying two new super planes that blow up, then you zoom out to Randy Quaid folding down the antennae on a detonation device, getting into his trailer and driving over the Canadian Border.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #1797
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think it looks like fun! Nice to see a trailer that isn't all dark and serious and self-important (if you remember the Into Darkness trailers). Seems to all take place on an alien world with lots of alien characters. I'm looking forward to it.
I wasn't all that enamored with the last movie, I think it was a mistake to bring Khan into it, and no actor could ever take the place of RM.

Overall the movie was a flat confusing mess, and I'm hoping that this one rebounds.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #1798
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Working trailer

Loving their blue and yellow X-Men First Class suits!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #1799
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wasn't all that enamored with the last movie, I think it was a mistake to bring Khan into it, and no actor could ever take the place of RM.

Overall the movie was a flat confusing mess, and I'm hoping that this one rebounds.
Agreed -- and plot holes all over the place.

I thought the original reboot was a fine movie, entertaining, fun, engaging. It wasn't perfect, but decent. Into Darkness was a pretty big misstep though. The problem with the Abrams movies both times was the writing. The special effects, casting, acting, and directing were all pretty good -- it's just the stories and plot holes that have been a disaster. Brought in new writers for this one so hopefully the story is good. Not really much indication from that trailer other than... Enterprise crashes on an alien planet, crew get separated, lots of space adventure with alien companions. Which already sounds more promising than Into Darkness.

People always seem to have such weirdly high expectations for Star Trek movies though. There's more bad ones than good ones, even among the revered originals. I'd rather watch that trailer over and over than the mind numbing boredom of The Motion Picture or complete awfulness of Final Frontier or Nemesis. At the very least, I'm sure it will be an entertaining sci-fi action adventure, which is all I ask for from Trek films. I hope for thought-provoking, philosophical, character-driven stuff from the upcoming television series.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #1800
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Agreed -- and plot holes all over the place.

I thought the original reboot was a fine movie, entertaining, fun, engaging. It wasn't perfect, but decent. Into Darkness was a pretty big misstep though. The problem with the Abrams movies both times was the writing. The special effects, casting, acting, and directing were all pretty good -- it's just the stories and plot holes that have been a disaster. Brought in new writers for this one so hopefully the story is good. Not really much indication from that trailer other than... Enterprise crashes on an alien planet, crew get separated, lots of space adventure with alien companions. Which already sounds more promising than Into Darkness.

People always seem to have such weirdly high expectations for Star Trek movies though. There's more bad ones than good ones, even among the revered originals. I'd rather watch that trailer over and over than the mind numbing boredom of The Motion Picture or complete awfulness of Final Frontier or Nemesis. At the very least, I'm sure it will be an entertaining sci-fi action adventure, which is all I ask for from Trek films. I hope for thought-provoking, philosophical, character-driven stuff from the upcoming television series.
It seems to follow the rule with the exception of TOS wihich started meh, got strong and then falted before recovering. With TNg it started meh, recovered slightly and then fell over the edge of a waterfall with everyone screaming as the plunge to their deaths of the sharp rocks below. The first reboot was pretty well done, the sequel was uninspiring and terrible.

Star Trek - I didn't think it was terrible, but it was too colorless and too umm thought provoking. It was awesome to see the Enterprise in all its glory again

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan - I would argue that this was the best Trek movie ever made, period. RM chewed up the scenery with a vengeance, the actors for the most part were awesome, and they had the whole tight camaraderie down to a tee. Kirstie Alley did an awesome job as Savak.

Star Trek III - The search for Spock - A very strong story because of the acting, Christopher Lloyd was the epitome of a Klingon, and stories about his preperation for the role are awesome. While the movie wasn't as strong as TWOK it was a pretty good entry.

Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home - The first movie where you didn't really have Spock in it, until the end. But the dialogue and humor were top notch in it. A movie without the Enterprise in it was strange.

Star Trek V - The first misstep in the franchise and directed by Shats enormous ego, and it showed as McCoy and Spocks characters were somewhat wrecked in this movie, and we had the horrible fan dance scene with Uhura, Scotty bonging his head on a I-Beam. The Villain was god, the other villain was Sybok and the third villian was this terrible cardboard cut out with Klingon hair. Even the effects were sub par

Star Trek 6 - The undiscovered country - This is my second favorite Trek Movie. Designed to follow modern day events with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the threatened dissolving of the Soviet Empire. The acting was exceptional and the plot was really good, Christopher Plummer was bought in as an exceptional foil for Shatner as a Shakespeare ranting conspirator. Kim Cattrell put in a strong performance in a role that was originally supposed to be Savak betrays the Federation. The last scene of the Enterprise flying into the son with a tear jerking final captains log followed by autographed credits was exceptionally well done

Ok here we go

Star Trek 7 - Generations - Awful movie that completely wrecked the Borg. Malcolm McDowell was a workable villain, but they frankly took a justifiable villain, and made him a monster.. But this started the shift of TNG from an ensemble cast to the Data and Picard show with everyone else pushing buttons. The Klingon Villains were there to chortle and act like mustachioed boogey men. The hole movie fell flat to me. I wanted to see Data Disintegrated because of that stupid emotion chip.

Star Trek 8 - First Contact - It wasn't a terrible movie but it wasn't great. It started the #######ization of the Borg from a truly awesome concept of a complete hive mind, to something controlled by a queen who was deeply flawed. Alice Krige did a pretty good job as a villain, and even managed to make herself look like a seductress. Some of the time travel concepts were cool. Worf was awful in this movie, Beverly and Troi really had nothing to do, Geordi was in the background. In the end we got a biceps bulging action hero Picard, and Data as the main action hero characters.

Star Trek 9 - Insurrection - Truly truly awful movie. This completely cemented that Worf was now an unfunny comedy character with a zit. Rikers face was as smooth as a babies a$$. The villains were into plastic surgery. The plot was contrived, and the Enterprise could be flown by an emergency joystick. Nothing can top this level of craptitude.

Star Trek 10 - Nemisis - Wait, I was wrong. This was a completely foul piece of garbage. Here we have Picard four wheel driving. They didn't have enough Data so they had to add another developmentally disable Data. Wait where's the flying Data, and the disco on the off duty Data. All other characters were completely forgotten, except for Worf who's so dispondant at his lot in life that he gets plastered at a wedding for Troi and Riker. On top of that Wesley returns from the Phantom Zone to attend the wedding and is now back in Star Fleet even though he betrayed it years ago. The only thing that we had missing was Riker following Picard around going "Snarf Snarf". Tom Hardy was a great actor and he couldn't save this thing. From the really awful hair touching scenes to the mental raping of Troi for no other reason then . . . well he's stupid. On top of that the massive death spewing super ship has an unshielded exhaust port on the fricken bridge. Do the Romulons or Remans not have a health and safety guy.

"Hey fellas, you know that super deadly radiation that this ship shoots, well there's an exposed conduit of it right here on the bridge, maybe we should put a sign on it so people don't start lighting their cigarettes with it.

I remember Trekkies bragging that this movie was directed by the guy who wrote Gladiator. Well its clear that he was a writer not a director.

So bad

Star Trek 11 - 90201 - I liked this movie because the actors playing Spock and McCoy channeled their performances. I wasn't a fan of Kirk, but I don't think that we were ment to like the arrogant #######. The villain was cardboardy and his plan made no sense. Instead of using the red matter to collapse the star that would destory Romulus he goes on a galaxy spanning campaign of Genocide. After sitting around for about 20 years playing scrabble with his crew while waiting for Spock to pop up. This wasn't a bad movie, and Ben Cross did a stunning job as Sarak. I think that nostelgia over came a lot of plot points that we were willing to ignore.

Star Trek 12 - Into Darkness - I thought this was a weak movie with a lot of plot confusion. You can't have a mega villain like Khan because no actor is going to be able to surpass the original. They got way too into the habit of the TNG movies where it because the Spock and Kirk show with everyone else running around in the background. The secondary villain was kind of Just not a great entry.