Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #3781
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
This is a bit tangential but the way movies and commercials have created a market for low tempo "reimaginings" of classic songs sux.

I realize it can be great (hurt by johnny cash) but it's hard for me to take it seriously when the dark slow brooding version of crocodile rock fades into the scene.

Just use an original composition every once in a while instead of sticking some half asleep singer at the piano and have them limp their way through a soulful rendition of dancing queen by Abba.
I disagree, Westworld does this and its really great. I wont post it since its not a movie trailer, but still...its great.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #3782
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
This is a bit tangential but the way movies and commercials have created a market for low tempo "reimaginings" of classic songs sux.

I realize it can be great (hurt by johnny cash) but it's hard for me to take it seriously when the dark slow brooding version of crocodile rock fades into the scene.

Just use an original composition every once in a while instead of sticking some half asleep singer at the piano and have them limp their way through a soulful rendition of dancing queen by Abba.
Is this a reimagining of something in the way? They've added some echo and other effects, but it's pretty close to the original track.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #3783
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I have the technological know how of a chimp so somebody better than me can hopefully assist but the new James Bond trailer came out tonight and it looks....... amazing. Super excited for it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #3784
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I have the technological know how of a chimp so somebody better than me can hopefully assist but the new James Bond trailer came out tonight and it looks....... amazing. Super excited for it.

Pretty easy to do yourself. You hit the YouTube logo, which gives you the "[ youtube]" "[/ youtube]" tags. You insert the "vw2FOYjCz38" in between, which is at the very end of the URL

youtube.com/watch?v=vw2FOYjCz38
Old 09-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #3785
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, the new Bond looks great. Daniel Craig going out with a bang in his final outing.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #3786
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full trailer tomorrow!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #3787
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and here it is!

- Surferguy
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #3788
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should we watch the original movie first so that we know whats going on?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #3789
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna need more Spice.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #3790
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I found the subsequent books kinda lacking, but the first book of Dune is one of the best Sci Fi books I've ever read. Really looking forward to the latest interpretation, especially with Villaneuve at the helm.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #3791
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol. I can't tell if this is serious or not. Is there a single David Lynch movie that will make you feel like you "know what's going on"?

You should only watch the original if you're looking for proof that Blade Runner truly was ahead of its time.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #3792
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

AVOID the original if you want to know what's going on!

There's quite a few things I do like about Lynch's Dune, but the story's a bit of a mess.

- Surferguy
Old 09-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #3793
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was totally joking.

I am not a DUNE aficionado by any means, but its well known that the Dune movie is nightmare.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #3794
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was totally joking.

I am not a DUNE aficionado by any means, but its well known that the Dune movie is nightmare.
There was a mini series on I think the Space network back in 2000 or so - it was awful but superior to the Lynch film - imo.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #3795
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
There was a mini series on I think the Space network back in 2000 or so - it was awful but superior to the Lynch film - imo.
You know what...I love that trailer. I have a lot of faith in Denis Villeneuve, the cast looks amazing.

I think I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this as a movie. I dont need to read all the books or know all the back-story. I will try and enjoy this as a casual fan.

And if its great and lights that fire to want to know more...well, I'll deal with that if and when it arises.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #3796
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You know what...I love that trailer. I have a lot of faith in Denis Villeneuve, the cast looks amazing.

I think I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this as a movie. I dont need to read all the books or know all the back-story. I will try and enjoy this as a casual fan.

And if its great and lights that fire to want to know more...well, I'll deal with that if and when it arises.
I think that's a great plan. Short of reading the book itself - which I highly recommend - staying clear of anything else Dune related is probably best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #3797
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's a great plan. Short of reading the book itself - which I highly recommend - staying clear of anything else Dune related is probably best.
Well heres the other thing and I've bitched about this consistently in the Star Wars thread.

Star Wars is the King of the; "yeah but if you'd read all the books this non-sensical mess is actually perfect, you just dont know this, that and this other thing!!"

Um. Are you for serious?? If the information I need to make the story make sense isnt in the story I'm being told then thats BS. Who thought that would be a good idea?

I assume Dune is going to tell me a story and that I wont need to have read an entire Universe of back-story for it to make any sense. Denis wouldnt do us Dirty like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #3798
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just the first book, or is reading the original trilogy worth it? I'm debating getting them.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #3799
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well heres the other thing and I've bitched about this consistently in the Star Wars thread.

Star Wars is the King of the; "yeah but if you'd read all the books this non-sensical mess is actually perfect, you just dont know this, that and this other thing!!"

Um. Are you for serious?? If the information I need to make the story make sense isnt in the story I'm being told then thats BS. Who thought that would be a good idea?

I assume Dune is going to tell me a story and that I wont need to have read an entire Universe of back-story for it to make any sense. Denis wouldnt do us Dirty like that.
Star Wars is different, that's all supplementary stuff. Dune, like many movies, was a book first. And it's a good book. If you like reading, add it to your list.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #3800
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Just the first book, or is reading the original trilogy worth it? I'm debating getting them.
I liked them but I know a lot of people didn't. Dune - book 1 - is clearly superior though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post: