Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 06:47 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57 Miikka Kiprusoff Retirement!! 6:20pm & 8:00pm TV: SN (360), CBC, CityTV- RADIO SN960

Oh yeah, theres a game too.

Kiprusoffarians Unite - On Your Knees
Kiprusoffarians (Taken from the Rastafarian culture due to Mikka’s laid back personality)

Leaders of the Church:
Those who wear a Flames style sweater with #34 on the back and sleeves, and Kiprusoff emblazoned in letters along the rear shoulder. These people are enabled and are entitled to become “Beacons of the Flame” within the Church of Kiprusoff. Beacons hold a higher standing and can lead silent prayer groups either within their homes or the Great Arenas where our Prophet and God Kiprusoff holds mass. Beacons assist those who wish to become Kiprusoffarian by leading a raucous and sometimes all encompassing hymn while in front of the Television, or better while in the great Arena of Kiprusoff. The sing along can take different forms dependant on the Beacon in charge, however every group must join together en-masse and stand facing the great Kiprusoff with arms straight in front, as if to focus all positive energy upon our lord and savior. The hymn can include variations of these words, (Kipper, Kipper, Kipper). A waving motion with both arms extended straight must be continued for a period no less than 30 seconds OR until the great Prophet Kiprusoff notices and responds with a slight nod of his skull laden mask. Those who do not wish to become a Beacon of the Flame, or a leader within the Kiprusoffarian’s, are free to join the Hymns and Prayer groups as long as decorum is followed and there is a belief that the great Kipper will lead them to the hallowed place known as Stanley’s Cupland. Those who wish to disrupt this practice or who use it as a type of hex will be banished from the group and banished to a Hell immersed in Oil for all eternity.

34 for 34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miikka_Kiprusoff

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763619623348392116

https://twitter.com/user/status/1760449325644304452

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763391205109375053

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762317059810349328

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763270411050258715

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762232043092779322

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763612235048583617

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763727624487191039

Miikka Kiprusoff Tales: Stories of the legendary Flames goaltender

As one of the only people on the planet who can get Miikka Kiprusoff to answer his phone calls, Jamie McLennan still chuckles over a recent attempt to contact his former tandem-mate in the wilds of Finland.

“I called and he didn’t answer, but I immediately got a text from him explaining he couldn’t make any noise because he was sitting in a tree, hunting, and it was minus-15,” said McLennan, who then received a selfie of Kiprusoff’s remote perch.

Kiprusoff set to join legendary Flames with jersey retirement

An intense stretching regimen. A legendarily dry sense of humour. A devotion to his craft that propelled him from third-string goalie to franchise icon.

Those are the memories stirred when former Flames are asked about Miikka Kiprusoff, whose No. 34 will rise to the Saddledome rafters on Saturday ahead of Calgary hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins.

For nearly a decade, Miikka Kiprusoff defined the Calgary Flames in net (and dominated)

It was mid-November 2003, and the Calgary Flames had a big problem.
The club began their season with stability in goal, with a veteran tandem of starter Roman Turek and backup Jamie McLennan. Behind them, though, they had a pair of untested prospects in the minors: Dany Sabourin with their shared American Hockey League affiliate in Lowell, Mass., and Brent Krahn in the ECHL with the Las Vegas Wranglers. As long as they didn’t hit injury trouble, they would be fine.

Memories Of Miikka: A Decade Of Covering Kiprusoff's Time With The Calgary Flames

From his Calgary Flames debut to the end of his NHL career, it was a treat covering Miikka Kiprusoff. At a time when goaltenders were becoming behemoths who relied solely on their size and positioning, Kiprusoff was a breed apart. Defenceman Jay Bouwmeester put it best one day in Los Angeles when he described most of the NHL’s puck stoppers as “blockers” and said Kiprusoff was a “true goaltender.”

‘The guy was unbelievable’: Former Flames backups share Miikka Kiprusoff stories

In a special pre-game ceremony, set for 6:20 p.m. MT, the Flames will raise his No. 34 to the rafters. He is just the fourth player in franchise history to have his jersey retired, joining Jarome Iginla, Lanny McDonald and fellow masked man Mike Vernon in that exclusive club.

Now 47, Kiprusoff still ranks as Calgary’s all-time leader in wins (305), shutouts (41) and goals-against average (2.46). He backstopped a hard-working, hard-hatted bunch to within a whisker of a Stanley Cup championship in 2004.

Looking back on Miikka Kiprusoff’s career

Well, it is finally happening. The long-overdue day is coming on Saturday, March 2, when Miikka Kiprusoff‘s jersey will finally be raised to the rafters to join his teammate, Jarome Iginla. Kiprusoff is a legend not only in Calgary Flames history, but also in NHL history. He left a mark on the franchise and the city, and it’s time he finally gets his flowers. With Kiprusoff finally back in Calgary, let’s take a look back at his career, along with some of his greatest moments.

Thank you Miikka for letting us be a small part of your amazing career!! We will never forget, and I am a Kiprusoffarian for life!

Last edited by Cheese; 03-02-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 104 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
14, automaton 3, Badgers Nose, Badmotorfinger, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Bingo Jr., Bonecrushing Hits, Brick, Buff, Caged Great, Calgary4LIfe, CalgaryFan1988, Captain Hair, CaptainYooh, CF84, Charcot, cheevers, chummer, CofR, Cortez, CsInMyBlood, Cycling76er, Demaeon, Dion, DropIt, Duffalufagus, Enoch Root, evman150, FacePaint, Fan in Exile, Fighting Banana Slug, FlameFan21, flamesrule_kipper34, Flamezzz, FlamingHomer, flizzenflozz, foofighter15, Fourteen FTW, Freddy, FudsMcDuff, FusionX, Glassplat, Gondi Stylez, GreenHardHat, greyshep, gvitaly, Heavy Jack, HitterD, Hoop27, IamNotKenKing, ineedanother, Itse, jaikorven, Jarome, Jetfire, jg13, KevinKlineReadingABook, killer_carlson, kingkahuna, kipperiggy, KipperRules, kyuss275, Lanny'sDaMan, Locke, Manhattanboy, Mightyfire89, Mr_Pilot, Mustache, My2Cents, nieuwy-89, OldSam, ooogabooga, OutToLunch, oxygen, Press Level, Puppet Guy, redflamesfan08, redforever, robertsfanatic, rogermexico, Savvy27, Scroopy Noopers, Sgrath, Shawn_Cronin44, Slacker, Snuffleupagus, Stillman16, Sylvanfan, taxbuster, TBone290, Timbo, Titan2, Tsawwassen, Unknown, Vinny01, WhiteTiger, Winsor_Pilates, Wormius, Yamer, You Need a Thneed, Yrebmi, YYC in LAX
Old 03-02-2024, 06:58 AM   #2
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/41972853
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/pittsb...boxscore-40976
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/game...enguins-flames
https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/...ediction-6004/
https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/3-2-2...ediction-3703/
https://fieldlevelmedia.com/news/fla...playoff-hopes/

Game is on SiriusXM on channel 924 for a computer and other electronics
with the Flames feed
and online in your vehicle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did I read this correctly that sports net 360 will televise the complete ceremony?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #4
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Did I read this correctly that sports net 360 will televise the complete ceremony?

Yes, you did.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 07:36 AM   #5
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be an awesome ceremony!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really looking forward to this. Kipper is the reason I really started to watch and enjoy hockey again. 'His' jersey is the only one I own.

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 08:09 AM   #7
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That might be your best work yet, Cheese.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:23 AM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so excited. This is going to be good!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 08:23 AM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Shirts off for Kiprusoff!

Basement is in the middle of a renovation but I made sure to bring this up for tonight.

Going to throw some highlights on YouTube for my oldest.

I looked into flying out for this game but the points just didn't work. Then of course there's the price of tickets for tonight, which is insane.

SN360 it is.

When I told him last night the Flames were retiring the jersey of one of my favourite players ever, he asked if it was Gelinas.

Kid's 7.

God I love him.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 08:27 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol....its such a funny circumstance. Crosby and Penguins are in town.

Sorry kid, you're getting upstaged by The return of the King.

Kiprusoffarians Unite!!

The game itself is like an afterthought.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-02-2024, 08:30 AM   #11
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy Kipper Day y’all.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:56 AM   #12
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Such a legend.

I remember whenever we were killing penalties I'd watch Kipper the whole time. His movement, tracking the puck, and everything really was amazing to watch.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:56 AM   #13
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unbelievable how consistently good Kipper was during his career!

That 2004 team was so deserving of the Stanley Cup and Kipper and Iggy sharing the Conn Smythe…

My son and I just watched the Four Falls of Buffalo and it makes me think of 2004…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2024, 08:59 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Such a legend.

I remember whenever we were killing penalties I'd watch Kipper the whole time. His movement, tracking the puck, and everything really was amazing to watch.
He was Elite.

He never lost track of the puck, I mean, FFS he made saves when the puck was already behind him!

And he could cover the bottom of the net just as well as move side-to-side lightning fast.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Named our family dog Kipper back in 2008 or so. A helluva goalie and a great dog.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #16
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you, Cheese for the wonderful thread starter!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #17
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope the Flames can block out the noise of trades and use the energy that will be in the building to continue the win streak. Should be a great night all around. Go Flames!
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:06 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Named our family dog Kipper back in 2008 or so. A helluva goalie and a great dog.
Thats funny, one of my buddies named his Husky 'Miikka.'

Thats when you know you've truly earned the Love of a City. When the residents start naming their Dogs after you.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:16 AM   #19
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats funny, one of my buddies named his Husky 'Miikka.'

Thats when you know you've truly earned the Love of a City. When the residents start naming their Dogs after you.
I also named our first dog Miikka. She's passed on since.

Our new dog now is named Iggy.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 09:16 AM   #20
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

First time at the dome in 8+ years tonight, can't wait! Sharangovich is going to have a big night, another streak beginning after that beauty on Tues.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EN FUEGO For This Useful Post: