Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2024, 05:04 PM   #21
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I agree with dino7c...Florida can pound sand and lick my used Toilet paper. If they ever beat Edmonton maybe I'll change my tune. Until that day happens the Bruins, Islander, and Hurricanes are the only Easyrrn teams I can have a shred of respect for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 08:57 AM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Colorado team defensive numbers don't look very good. 5 on 5 expected goals against is right around where Calgary is, in the low teens/early 20's. Goaltending numbers are also around the same spot for goals against above expected.

As we saw last year, you need to have some game breaking offensive talent, but strong team defense and goaltending is what wins in the playoffs. Every. Year.

The Avs have a lot to prove in terms of being a legitimate playoff contender. It's probably why they are desperately looking at Lindholm to help defensively.
I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I would counter it with the belief that they, more than any other team, have another gear that they can take their game to in the playoffs.

With solid/stable goaltending, they are a playoff powerhouse, regardless of what the regular season numbers are. If I'm sitting on a no trade clause, and my team is looking to move me, I'd be saying "feel free to send me to Colorado!"
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya. hate the panthers.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:08 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Colorado team defensive numbers don't look very good. 5 on 5 expected goals against is right around where Calgary is, in the low teens/early 20's. Goaltending numbers are also around the same spot for goals against above expected.

As we saw last year, you need to have some game breaking offensive talent, but strong team defense and goaltending is what wins in the playoffs. Every. Year.

The Avs have a lot to prove in terms of being a legitimate playoff contender. It's probably why they are desperately looking at Lindholm to help defensively.
Really? I think the Panthers have a lot to prove...they had one miracle run based 90% on goaltending, they were a post and a breakaway save from losing in round one in 5 games. When the goaltending came back to earth they got absolutely hammered.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-01-2024 at 12:17 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Really? I think the Panthers have a lot to prove...they had one miracle run based 90% on goaltending, they were a post and a breakaway save from losing in round one in 5 games. When the goaltending came back to earth they got absolutely hammered.
I know you're gonna say Vegas played hurt too, but there's a bit of a difference between "playing hurt" and playing with one arm like Tkachuk did for a game and a half, and then not even playing at all in the final game, and Ekblad and Montour playing with injuries that required them to miss the entire first month of the following season to heal from.

It's ridiculous how many times I've had to repeat this, but Florida's winning percentage then they were healthy last season was near the top of the league. It was near the bottom of the league for the entire two months they were without Barkov and Ekblad (#1C and #1D), which is why they barely made it in... but they were one of the best teams in the league again once they got those two back.

They won the Presidents trophy the season prior, made the Stanley Cup finals last season and are in contention for the President's trophy again this season. Your contention that they're not a good team is just silly.

Also, if you're gonna use a picture of Colorado winning the Cup, at least use the proper one:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:14 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used a picture of a current Avs player in his prime winning the cup, obviously far more relevant to "the Avs have a lot to prove"

and are you going to really try to tell me that Bob didn't steal that series against Boston? like really? Game 5 was an absolute robbery. Its absolutely wild how defensive some people are about the FLORIDA Panthers on CALGARY puck. The title of the thread is "Florida #1 in the league" and that's a no from me dog...but we will find out for sure in a few months.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-01-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:30 PM   #27
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Avs have a lot to prove in the sense they lost a bunch of depth and don't have goaltending and don't look that good anymore. It's like still calling the TBL favorites last year or the Hawks favorites post 2016. not really they've been gutted. you can give some leeway to past champs but only to an extent.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:51 PM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I used a picture of a current Avs player in his prime winning the cup, obviously far more relevant to "the Avs have a lot to prove"

and are you going to really try to tell me that Bob didn't steal that series against Boston? like really? Game 5 was an absolute robbery. Its absolutely wild how defensive some people are about the FLORIDA Panthers on CALGARY puck. The title of the thread is "Florida #1 in the league" and that's a no from me dog...but we will find out for sure in a few months.
Bob stood on his head in that game, for sure. You're taking a team that won the President's trophy two years ago, went to the Cup finals last year and is contending for the President's trophy again this year, and boiling them down to a couple saves and a goal post, though... you have to see how silly that is, no?

Also, the title of the thread is PDO Podcast: Florida #1 in league?, not Florida #1 in the league. The discussion is attributed to a podcast, and was formed as a question - not a statement.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:54 PM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I would counter it with the belief that they, more than any other team, have another gear that they can take their game to in the playoffs.

With solid/stable goaltending, they are a playoff powerhouse, regardless of what the regular season numbers are. If I'm sitting on a no trade clause, and my team is looking to move me, I'd be saying "feel free to send me to Colorado!"
100%. As I've said in this and another thread, let's trade them Markstrom so we can see a '96 Avs Panthers rematch!
Old 02-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, if you're looking at the team's numbers this year and you don't think they're proving to the league that they're legitimate? I don't know what to tell you.

Every year is different, and the Panthers of last year aren't the same as this year. Quite frankly, they're better this year, especially defensively, which is something I wouldn't have said last year.

That's including a rough first half for guys like Montour, Ekblad, and Tkachuk who were all recovering from serious injury. I've been pretty impressed by the team overall this year, and I've seen enough smoke and mirrors in the past to know when a team has it and when they don't. I think this team has it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

the title is "Florida #1 in the league?" so I assumed that was the debate. No I don't think they are number one. Luckily though we have a tournament in a couple months to find out who is number one. Maybe I will be wrong, I can tell you if they play the Oilers or Canucks in the finals you guys would have another Panthers homer.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:22 PM   #32
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Also, if you're gonna use a picture of Colorado winning the Cup, at least use the proper one:

Yuck. Wasn't it Borque who called Martin St. Louis after game 5 and told him not to give up?
Old 02-02-2024, 12:37 AM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yuck. Wasn't it Borque who called Martin St. Louis after game 5 and told him not to give up?
Are you sure he didn't call the ref or Gary?
Old 02-02-2024, 12:07 PM   #34
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I think he left a voicemail on St. Louis' (or was it Lacavellier?) answering machine ahead of Game 7, which they brought in and played for the team in the room pre-game.

Either way, I completely agree that I lost any and all respect for Bourque after that.... but the memory of Sakic selflessly handing the Cup to another player to raise first need not be tarnished! (I just block out that it was Bourque, which is kinda 90% of the whole thing, I realize.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-02-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:04 PM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

No idea who this guy is, although he comes up a lot in my feed.

He spends the first like 40 seconds or so talking about some baseball channel or something, so start around 41 or 42 seconds in for the actual video to start.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:35 PM   #36
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
don't worry I will remember it when they don't win the cup and you are all butthurt about me being happy about it

its almost certain they don't get as far this season so have your fun now, we can chat in the spring. Glad you are all so excited for the guy that bailed and ruined the franchise, sorry I'm not lol.

Also, the Avs are the best team in the NHL
When general managers are too stupid to sign a guy longterm that is on them. To this day I am amazed that Pierre Dorion of all people had the foresight to sign a Tkachuk to a long term deal after 3 seasons of producing at a 50 point pace and the Flames could not sign his brother to a longterm deal after 3 seasons at a 51, 58 and 79 point pace. When Dorion has more abilities to lock guys down in his market that is telling.

I just hope Connie learns the lesson, lock guys down for as much term as possible coming off their RFA contracts.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #37
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah things are going great for the Sens...they have locked in their last place team, so shrewd

Last edited by dino7c; 02-21-2024 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:55 PM   #38
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah things are going great for the Sens...they have locked in their last place team, so shrewd
I suspect the Flames would be a better team right now if Tkachuk was in year 5 of a 7 year contract but that is just me. Even you would presumably have to admit that since you said that him leaving ruined the franchise.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:05 PM   #39
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just saying the Sens are not the proof you were looking for

Matthew Tkachuk said he wanted to sign long term a few weeks before he bailed so no, I'm not a fan and never will be
Old 02-22-2024, 12:45 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Tkachuk: "Let's pretend there isn't a puck out there. Let's just play without the puck."
(talking about the first shift in their 4-0 win against Buffalo) (guy in the video said Boston, but it was Buffalo)

What a way to get into the other team's head. Just let them keep the puck and hammer them over and over for the first shift. lol, just brilliant. I mean, I don't think I'd want to do that too often, but pretty wild regardless.