Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default PDO Podcast: Florida #1 in league?

Lots of really great points. Love what they're saying about Forsling. This guy is just so good.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/hockey-...ve-east-teams/

Edit: Also their playing style, which is just "attack puck, move forward."
Edit: Or, as they described it: "see puck, get puck, move forward."

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-31-2024 at 10:20 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:30 AM   #2
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching them all year and they look light years better than last year, especially defensively. Unless their play falls off right before the playoffs, I'd be betting on them to come out of the East again.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, you gotta like how Zito recognized their lack of depth on D and zeroed in on that in the offseason. Their third pair against the Pens last game was Ekman-Larsson and Kulikov.

Edit: I mean, they were without Ekblad and Montour for the entire first month of the season, but they're still sitting 2nd in the East and top three in all 5v5 metrics.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-31-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:40 AM   #4
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Lots of really great points. Love what they're saying about Forsling. This guy is just so good.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/hockey-...ve-east-teams/

Edit: Also their playing style, which is just "attack puck, move forward."
Edit: Or, as they described it: "see puck, get puck, move forward."
Edmonton not the best team in the league? That’s unpossible.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:51 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, you gotta like how Zito recognized their lack of depth on D and zeroed in on that in the offseason. Their third pair against the Pens last game was Ekman-Larsson and Kulikov.

Edit: I mean, they were without Ekblad and Montour for the entire first month of the season, but they're still sitting 2nd in the East and top three in all 5v5 metrics.
Ekman-Larsson has 9 goals and 25 points. That's his highest goal total in 5 years. His play early when both Montour and Ekblad were out is the single biggest reason the team was in a decent position when they returned.

Evan Rodrigues has also been a nice pickup, and fit in quite well. Even someone like Kevin Stenlund (who?) has been quite valuable this year in a bottom 6 and PK role.

Zito has a really good eye for talent that could flourish in his team's identity. I'm impressed by his ability to team build from scraps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:51 AM   #6
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If only there were a poster that could pull up some obscure fact to prove this is all smoke and mirrors
Old 01-31-2024, 11:08 AM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It's the 2025 pick that impacts the Monahan trade? So we need them to finish outside of the top 10, and Calgary to finish in the top 10 next year?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:26 AM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
If only there were a poster that could pull up some obscure fact to prove this is all smoke and mirrors
Dino's been all over Tkachuk and the Panthers this year as finally coming back down to earth.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:30 AM   #9
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's the 2025 pick that impacts the Monahan trade? So we need them to finish outside of the top 10, and Calgary to finish in the top 10 next year?
This years pick and next years. Unless they have an amazing fall from grace then this year's pick will transfer to Philly and then it comes down to Florida not getting a top ten pick next year to be really safe.
The ultimate screw job next year would be for Florida to end up with the 16th overall, winning the lottery, and the Flames having the 2nd overall.I might stop watching hockey if that happens lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:28 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Dino's been all over Tkachuk and the Panthers this year as finally coming back down to earth.
lol I know. Chucky spent the entire offseason unable to workout, and we just have to look at Keith to see what a stationary Tkachuk can start to look like. A couple months to get back into game shape while actually playing games isn't too bad.

27 points in his first 36 games, followed by 24 points in his next 13 games.

"Florida sucks. Tkachuk sucks. I won money on a bet. Rawwwrrr."

(Good-natured ribbing, Dino. No offence intended.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-31-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:32 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ekman-Larsson has 9 goals and 25 points. That's his highest goal total in 5 years. His play early when both Montour and Ekblad were out is the single biggest reason the team was in a decent position when they returned.

Evan Rodrigues has also been a nice pickup, and fit in quite well. Even someone like Kevin Stenlund (who?) has been quite valuable this year in a bottom 6 and PK role.

Zito has a really good eye for talent that could flourish in his team's identity. I'm impressed by his ability to team build from scraps.
Yeah for sure. It always bugged me that all those years we were trying to find a center for Jarome, our whole MO was "draft crashers and bangers, then sign a center and hope for the best." (I'm over-simplifying for effect.)

Zito just carpet bombs any weaknesses. "We need D. Gimme these 5 for now and I might come back for more later."
Old 01-31-2024, 12:38 PM   #12
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's also a lot easier to do that in Florida IMO.

Guys like OEK, Kulikov, are more likely to sign the cheaper 1 year deals in a place like Florida.

Rodrigues has been a good player the last couple years but teams never seemed to have cap for him. If you're going to take less might as well be in Florida.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-31-2024 at 12:42 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:43 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's also a lot easier to do that in Florida IMO.

Guys like OEK, Kulikov, are more likely to sign the cheaper 1 year deals in a place like Florida.

Rodrigues has been a good player the last couple years but teams never seemed to have cap for him. If you're going to take less might as well be in Florida.
That's a valid point for sure. It's going to be interesting when Verhaeghe, Bennett and Ekblad are all up at the same time at the end of next season.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-31-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:35 PM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol I know. Chucky spent the entire offseason unable to workout, and we just have to look at Keith to see what a stationary Tkachuk can start to look like. A couple months to get back into game shape while actually playing games isn't too bad.

27 points in his first 36 games, followed by 24 points in his next 13 games.

"Florida sucks. Tkachuk sucks. I won money on a bet. Rawwwrrr."

(Good-natured ribbing, Dino. No offence intended.)
don't worry I will remember it when they don't win the cup and you are all butthurt about me being happy about it

its almost certain they don't get as far this season so have your fun now, we can chat in the spring. Glad you are all so excited for the guy that bailed and ruined the franchise, sorry I'm not lol.

Also, the Avs are the best team in the NHL

Last edited by dino7c; 01-31-2024 at 01:47 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:33 PM   #15
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 02:47 PM   #16
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its all in good fun, hating teams is half the reason people watch sports.

Its just funny how we all hate the Oilers and have no problem with anybody celebrating their downfall but when it comes to another team people get so defensive. I mean I would rather Tkachuk win a cup than the Oilers but I will be doing the dance of joy when neither do.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:03 PM   #17
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its just funny how we all hate the Oilers and have no problem with anybody celebrating their downfall but when it comes to another team people get so defensive. I mean I would rather Tkachuk win a cup than the Oilers but I will be doing the dance of joy when neither do.
I lived through Gary bloody Leeman winning the Stanley Cup. I don't even feel that stuff anymore.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:17 PM   #18
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
don't worry I will remember it when they don't win the cup and you are all butthurt about me being happy about it

its almost certain they don't get as far this season so have your fun now, we can chat in the spring. Glad you are all so excited for the guy that bailed and ruined the franchise, sorry I'm not lol.

Also, the Avs are the best team in the NHL
Colorado team defensive numbers don't look very good. 5 on 5 expected goals against is right around where Calgary is, in the low teens/early 20's. Goaltending numbers are also around the same spot for goals against above expected.

As we saw last year, you need to have some game breaking offensive talent, but strong team defense and goaltending is what wins in the playoffs. Every. Year.

The Avs have a lot to prove in terms of being a legitimate playoff contender. It's probably why they are desperately looking at Lindholm to help defensively.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 03:33 PM   #19
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado team defensive numbers don't look very good. 5 on 5 expected goals against is right around where Calgary is, in the low teens/early 20's. Goaltending numbers are also around the same spot for goals against above expected.

As we saw last year, you need to have some game breaking offensive talent, but strong team defense and goaltending is what wins in the playoffs. Every. Year.

The Avs have a lot to prove in terms of being a legitimate playoff contender. It's probably why they are desperately looking at Lindholm to help defensively.
This is why I've been advocating Markstrom to COL and Tanev to FLA. '96 Cup rematch!

Lindholm to FLA would be pretty fun too. Bennet Lindholm Tkachuk!
Old 01-31-2024, 04:51 PM   #20
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why I've been advocating Markstrom to COL and Tanev to FLA. '96 Cup rematch!

Lindholm to FLA would be pretty fun too. Bennet Lindholm Tkachuk!
If they acquire Lindy, do they move heaven & earth to try and get Johnny too? I'm guessing no, but man would that be interesting if it actually happened.

Quote:
Its all in good fun, hating teams is half the reason people watch sports.

No one is getting defensive. We just find it fascinating how you always think they're a trash team no matter what the results on the ice actually are.

Last edited by Mathgod; 01-31-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote