Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I was driving home from golf and noticed a few stations in High River that still had gas at $179.9. I pull in to top off my tank and see a guy filling 5 jerry cans of 20 liters each. Smart idea given how prices keep going up and up.
Well I'm glad things aren't bad enough that people are filling plastic grocery bags with gasoline like that video a while back.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #62
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tipping question: We have some painters freshening up the front of our house over the next two days. Is a tip at the end of the job expected or necessary? What's the general guideline when it comes to tipping people who come to your house to do a service?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #63
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t tip. If they did a good job I would pay them promptly without quibble and promise to spread the word on their professionalism.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #64
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually grab a case of beer for the workers if someone is doing housework
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #65
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I don't get tipping for things like that, really don't. If I entered into an agreement for services based on a quote, why the hell would I tip after? Unless I realize they gave me a smoking deal compared to the average (maybe just starting out and getting a customer base), then maybe I'll tip in that instance.

But they would realllly have to go out of their way to get a tip out of me. Like painting a part of the house that wasn't originally included, or giving a free upgrade to better paint. Why give a tip when it's just "congrats, you did the job I asked you to do, so here's extra".
Old 06-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #66
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some services tipping seems to make sense but not others.
For moving or major manual labor perhaps a small tip but more so some cold drinks and snacks/pizza.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #67
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Tipping question: We have some painters freshening up the front of our house over the next two days. Is a tip at the end of the job expected or necessary? What's the general guideline when it comes to tipping people who come to your house to do a service?
You don't have to. But I typically like doing it.

My understanding of tipping is that it's typically is most customary for things that are considered manual labour. Painting, movers, delivery guys for heavy things etc. are some of the best examples of this. That being said, I don't use the percentage method to determine it. It's typical $5-20 per instance and depending on weight/difficulty and/or cake/coffee/beer/pop/water (cost $2-10 bucks at most) as a refreshment mid way through type of thing.

I get that many other don't, but for me, this has always been the most obvious "tipping" debate. The percentage thing for what I spent for food has always been murky. A "it's the thought that counts" type of appreciation for a hard labour situation always seemed obvious.

Like... I fricken offer coffee/refreshment to the Shaw repair guys when they come over to look into stuff. It always seems to perk up their long day. I even offer to brew extra for them to take on the go in their mug if I see one.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2022, 10:22 PM   #68
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you’re out with your kid letting them practice driving, how do you keep your nerves?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #69
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
When you’re out with your kid letting them practice driving, how do you keep your nerves?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #70
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

I just wanted him to practice a little bit around the neighbourhood where there is not too much moving traffic, but enough other things going on to give a more realistic driving experience than what range roads would. Maybe it’s too much, but how else do you progress to being able to drive in a busy city?
Old 06-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
“Washroom is here, let me know if I can get you a beverage” is a great tip for this kind of work. Nothing else is needed or expected.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:58 PM   #72
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I are hosting a pretty big Canada day party and I'm wondering 2 things.

1) How do I dress way over the top patriotic (Canada flag cape, Canada tank top etc.) Without looking like a pro disease-er?

2) where would you even go to get an outfit like this?
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #73
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The wife and I are hosting a pretty big Canada day party and I'm wondering 2 things.

1) How do I dress way over the top patriotic (Canada flag cape, Canada tank top etc.) Without looking like a pro disease-er?

I think Party City would have what you’re looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 02:37 PM   #74
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Just wear it, own it, and if anybody asks if you’re a convoy supporter just say “pft no, I’m not a ####ing moron”.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 02:44 PM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Have you considered affixing a Truck Air Horn to some sort of Helmet?

Honk! Honk!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #76
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of person assumes someone who dresses up in Canada attire on Canada day is a convoy supporter?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #77
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What kind of person assumes someone who dresses up in Canada attire on Canada day is a convoy supporter?
There are some pretty crazy notions that people believe freedom fighters and the convoy protestors have taken over the symbols of Canada like the flag. It is absurd in my opinion but there was a bit of discussion about this after the Ottawa protest either in the freedum thread or the Covid morons thread.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #78
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I just wanted him to practice a little bit around the neighbourhood where there is not too much moving traffic, but enough other things going on to give a more realistic driving experience than what range roads would. Maybe it’s too much, but how else do you progress to being able to drive in a busy city?
Start them off during off peak hours and trips that are going to be quiet. Local collector roads etc. Don’t go on Deerfoot, Stoney etc. When it’s busy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #79
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think this is an important Canada day to take back these symbols and normalize them again.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #80
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think this is an important Canada day to take back these symbols and normalize them again.
Sure. Go for it. Cant hurt to try.

I dont think this Country has ever felt as fragmented as it does now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote