Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2023, 08:00 PM   #10341
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
haha why else would the Serbians think Canada was buying Grads?
For our arsenal of legacy Soviet gear.

In that Twitter thread they speculated the Serbs painted over the serial numbers so the origin would be unclear.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:28 AM   #10342
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Russia isn't interested in peace. Talks are pointless.
They will be. This war will not end in Ukraine storming Kremlin. It will eventually end by Russia and Ukraine signing some kind of a peace treaty.

Until then, it's good to keep talking. It costs very little, and reminds people in Russia that peace is an option that has been offered to them.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #10343
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
They will be. This war will not end in Ukraine storming Kremlin. It will eventually end by Russia and Ukraine signing some kind of a peace treaty.

Until then, it's good to keep talking. It costs very little, and reminds people in Russia that peace is an option that has been offered to them.
I know that, and you know that, but the funny thing is that a lot of people in Russia, particularly the cult-like extremists who refer to this as a "holy war", actually think that a Ukraine allied with the West is a danger to one day conquering Russia because of some bizarre prophecy made during the Mongol empire days. The Russian religious manifest destiny angle is actually really interesting from an academic perspective, but is crazy how people are still buying into it in 2023. It's really time to move on for them.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #10344
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

Well it will either end with a peace treaty that will require compromise on both sides, or it will end with nuclear weapons being used.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #10345
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well it will either end with a peace treaty that will require compromise on both sides, or it will end with nuclear weapons being used.
It doesn't have to end... see the Korean War.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #10346
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post

Russia starts war because of concern about a potential NATO member is right on their border. Ends with DMZ and the lead NATO country setting up a permanent base there.

Whoops!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 03:01 PM   #10347
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1630485340166270976

This tweet is making the rounds on a bunch of UA accounts. Of course the russians shills are crying over it. Beautiful.

As well my wife told me a great story. She works at one of the European supermarkets here that gets a lot of Slavic customers, especially Ukrainians. Recently she has noticed an interesting bank card that is being issued by Monobank in Ukraine that Ukranians are paying with.
Spoiler!

You might recognize it as "Russian Warship, go #### yourself" . She said quite a few Ukrainians who tap their card at her store have one.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #10348
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebot View Post
unfortunately, bakhmut is untenable, it has always been with russia focusing so intensely on it with out regard to man loss. Ukraine isn't going to heavily reinforce the area to engage russia in a battle of attrition for a largely strategically meaningless town. The tactical goal has always been to drain as much russian military strength as possible with the eventual withdrawal should it be needed.

By all accounts though, this has been russian major offensive, with disastrously enormous results in what may be the most pyrrhic victory in history (russia may have lost as many as 50k troops in bakhmut front alone).

We will soon see what the ukraine spring offensive may look like.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629950421661003776
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:07 PM   #10349
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't the Russians have enough salt over this war already?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #10350
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe it's been over a year now. Feels like a decade. At one point we had my brother in laws mother, sister, and two best friends all staying with me and my wife. They're grateful of course but it pains me so much seeing how badly they just wanted to go home, but couldn't

#### you Putin, you Stalin wanna be piece of ####
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:53 PM   #10351
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Viktor Orban's party has voted to ratify Sweden and Finland into NATO. Despite all of his blabbering about it, he can't stop the democratic process. For what it's worth, Hungary's president and foreign affairs minister were already for it, and Orban has said he will not interfere with the process.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:08 PM   #10352
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Like I said, with nuclear weapons being used, or at the very least the world even closer to the cusp of nuclear weapons being used.

Something that North Korea seemingly moves closer towards every single day.

Sad really that it has come to this, but at some point continued escalation will only lead one direction.

Russia is painting us a very clear picture of why we cannot allow Iran or North Korea to obtain nuclear weapons.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #10353
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Like I said, with nuclear weapons being used, or at the very least the world even closer to the cusp of nuclear weapons being used.

Something that North Korea seemingly moves closer towards every single day.

Sad really that it has come to this, but at some point continued escalation will only lead one direction.

Russia is painting us a very clear picture of why we cannot allow Iran or North Korea to obtain nuclear weapons.
North Korea already has them plus the means to deliver.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:28 AM   #10354
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some may remember a recent drone attack on a AWACS A-50 aircraft reported last week, well there's a video released by Belarus partisans on the attack. While the plane didn't burn down or much visible damage as per radar photos, the internal damage to radar equipment is likely significant. There is supposedly

https://twitter.com/user/status/1631610891933302785

What air defense doing?

Last edited by Firebot; 03-03-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 08:24 AM   #10355
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Canada bought 3,500 grad rockets from Serbia and delivered them to Ukraine via Turkey. This has apparently set off a bit of a storm in Serbia where there is a lot of support for Russia.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1630679031078084611
Serbs and Russians are cut from the same sick cloth. Very chauvinist people who believe their ethnic group is superior to the other slavs in the region.

The war crimes, genocide and ethnic cleansing committed by these 2 groups is a permanent stain in their "legacies".

Last edited by White Out 403; 03-03-2023 at 08:33 AM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #10356
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems good.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1631319179931578368

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #10357
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1632061102866460672
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #10358
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

☝️
This is how Russia does war. Artillery bombardment until the conquest is a pile of rubble and then they roll in with their flags.

Disgusting is the only way to describe it.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #10359
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Update a year later

Today is the one year anniversary of my wife escaping from her family's occupied village of Kozacha Lopan, north of Kharkiv city and 2km from the Russian border. Many of you know their story.

One year ago her step-father drove down the E105 highway to bring my wife, her cousin and her best friend to the train station in Kharkiv. This highway was the site of much destruction as the russians attempted to enter Kharkiv. By some miracle it was quiet on this day. But the carnage was all over the place. Hundreds of destroyed tanks and vehicles all over the road. Hundreds of bodies everywhere, including decapitated corpses and charred remains. Because it was during winter and some parts of the road were blocked with wreckage and corpses, her step-dad would drive on the grass to get around and they would literally drive over corpses that were covered in snow. Truly the stuff of nightmares.

Why am I bringing this up. For 2 reasons. First of all, today is her step-father Sacha's birthday. He literally drove over corpses and down a highway of death to get the girls to safety on his birthday. Happy ####ing birthday you god damn hero.

And second? Here is a bit of hopium for the day. Sacha and his wife (MIL) now live safely in Gdansk. He has a job at the Gdansk port working on ships, as he is a mechanic by trade. Usually he is working 6 days a week, as the port is quite busy with incoming ships and their loads from the city of Gdynia. For the past 3 weeks he has been off work, as the part of the port he works in is closed. His boss keeps telling him come in tomorrow, but then in the morning he gets a call saying that no ships are arriving today. Kind of frustrating for him, as he is obviously trying to earn a living and his work keeps getting put off. Luckily my wife and I are helping them financially, so it's not like they are scrambling to pay the bills. But he's trying to figure out WTF is going on that they keep delaying him coming back to work.

We found out the reason yesterday:
Spoiler!

This is the port in Gdynia, which is another city that makes the tri-city area (including Gdansk). An absolute #### ton of US and NATO equipment has arrived and is accumulating quickly! We now know that ships with all this military equipment are arriving by the literal boat load in Gdynia, thus taking over that port and preventing ships from making the journey to Gdansk, hence why he has all this time off. Dude is the ultimate Ukrainian patriot, so quite quickly his frustration with not working turned into jubilation.

My wife and I are going to Gdansk next month to visit them. I hope to capture some footage of the Western equipment at either the port or central train station just to see it for myself and feel the freedom Russia is about to get.

Orcs about to get smashed.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #10360
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

God I hope we get to watch videos of all that NATO equipment blowing up tons of orcs in a month or two. The ultimate spring cleanup
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks