Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #81
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I visited Notre Dame as a kid, it, like all churches meant little to me, as an adult though I have learned to love churches, the sense of history, the sound and smell of a thousand years of faith and toil, I am in no way religious but to sit quietly and listen to evensong of an evening always brings me to tears when I am back in the UK.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #82
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I know that's only one viewpoint, but I was expecting much worse... especially after I saw this image.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1117889212462723072
The good thing about most cathedrals is the ceiling and roof is a huge amount of wood but below that other than the pews there is almost none, below the ceiling it would almost all stone
Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #83
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I visited Notre Dame as a kid, it, like all churches meant little to me, as an adult though I have learned to love churches, the sense of history, the sound and smell of a thousand years of faith and toil, I am in no way religious but to sit quietly and listen to evensong of an evening always brings me to tears when I am back in the UK.
I've said this before, but even the unreligious among us have to admit to the great and serious weight that faith still holds in our mostly secular modern society.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #84
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The good thing about most cathedrals is the ceiling and roof is a huge amount of wood but below that other than the pews there is almost none, below the ceiling it would almost all stone
Yet another amazing part of the architecture of these buildings is not just the design but the way they were constructed. The walls of the cathedral support the vault, both of which are stone. Above the vault is (was) a wooden framework supporting the lead roof. This is what burned, along with the spire - which was also made from lead-clad oak. CNN actually has a decent article on their website that shows this.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/no...rnd/index.html

Although it is really sad that the building suffered as much damage as it did, I am encouraged that it seems that below the vault the damage is much less severe.

I have been to Notre Dame several times and although I am not Catholic I can not overstate the feeling of awe and reverence that this building inspires. I am very grateful they were able to save it.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."

Last edited by Redliner; 04-15-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added link
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #85
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #86
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've said this before, but even the unreligious among us have to admit to the great and serious weight that faith still holds in our mostly secular modern society.
I have spent a lifetime working with kids who live lives of grim pain I cannot comprehend, it leaves me both unable to believe but also deeply wishing I could believe, none the less I pray for my kids, I will take any help I can get for them.

To sit in Malvern Abbey or Worcester Cathedral, almost alone, is as close to peace as I can think of though
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #87
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Notre Dame is a marvelous piece of architecture and art and this is simply a tragedy. I hope it can be restored.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #88
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm always astounded by these old structures that have stood the test of time. Mostly from the design and construction planning aspect as the tools of those days were very limited.

It is tragic to see this kind of damage to such a magnificent structure.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #89
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It looks like the building survived. Even the rose window survived. That’s amazing!

Last edited by GirlySports; 04-16-2019 at 06:55 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #90
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

600 million Euros has already been donated by French businesses to fund restoration. I don’t know what the total cost will be bust this is good news.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4118781.html
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #91
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stood on top of the Pyramid of the Sun just outside Mexico City on New Years day, built around 200CE and nobody sure exactly who built it (and the other structures there). Now getting to see Notre Dame for the first time this year and take in another structure that continues to stand the test of time despite what gets thrown at it. Really looking forward to that.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #92
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding restoration of the cathedral, the news was reporting this morning that there are no trees left in France that are large enough to replace the wood beams lost to the fire. I suppose what this means is they will need to go outside of France to find them, change the species of wood used (if there is an alternative) or change the composition of the beam to something more modern (like a laminated beam). Restoration is going to be a long term project and I wonder if the ultimate decision will be to replicate the original as closely as possible or take the opportunity to make some changes. Would it be the Church or the French government making the decision I wonder?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #93
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
600 million Euros has already been donated by French businesses to fund restoration. I don’t know what the total cost will be bust this is good news.

imagine being a billionaire and married to Salma Hayek.

What a #### life.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #94
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Regarding restoration of the cathedral, the news was reporting this morning that there are no trees left in France that are large enough to replace the wood beams lost to the fire. I suppose what this means is they will need to go outside of France to find them, change the species of wood used (if there is an alternative) or change the composition of the beam to something more modern (like a laminated beam). Restoration is going to be a long term project and I wonder if the ultimate decision will be to replicate the original as closely as possible or take the opportunity to make some changes. Would it be the Church or the French government making the decision I wonder?
I don't imagine felling 13,000 centuries old oaks would go over quite so well these days, I think the rector of the church is in charge of those kinds of decisions fwiw
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #95
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't get the call for donations to rebuild the cathedral. The Catholic Church is worth billions and billions of dollars.

[Besides, it strikes me as a bit unseemly to apparently care so much about a building and not so much about the people who may have been abused in it or in other similar structures.]
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #96
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

I was coming to post I heard Salma Hayek's husband (billionaire François-Henri Pinault) already pledged 100 million euros.

hope a few of those money hording billionaires shell out as much as everyone else seems willing to. #4 & #15 &#30 (Pinault) on the Forbes list already have.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #97
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I don't get the call for donations to rebuild the cathedral. The Catholic Church is worth billions and billions of dollars.

[Besides, it strikes me as a bit unseemly to apparently care so much about a building and not so much about the people who may have been abused in it or in other similar structures.]
if this is where you're going, maybe stay out of the thread.
I don't think this is the place for it.

I think it is possible separate the destruction of the building from the issues of the religion, and maybe this thread is the best place to do so.

just my opinion, of course.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #98
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
imagine being a billionaire and married to Salma Hayek.

What a #### life.
Probably something like this...

Spoiler!
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #99
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

I think its very apparent that the structure in all its magnificence means a whole lot to ALL people of France (and beyond) and very little to do with the Catholic Church.

It was a symbol for them of things way beyond what you suggest here...and rightfully so. Its a huge piece of modern history that should be celebrated and preserved as long as it possibly can.

Think of what that building has survived between wars, weather and such?

Remarkable...and really glad at least some of it survived.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #100
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I think it is possible separate the destruction of the building from the issues of the religion, and maybe this thread is the best place to do so.
The building exists because of religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think its very apparent that the structure in all its magnificence means a whole lot to ALL people of France (and beyond) and very little to do with the Catholic Church.

It was a symbol for them of things way beyond what you suggest here...and rightfully so. Its a huge piece of modern history that should be celebrated and preserved as long as it possibly can.

Think of what that building has survived between wars, weather and such?

Remarkable...and really glad at least some of it survived.
Certainly.

It appears, based on Wikipedia, that the building is owned by the French state, so perhaps my comment regarding the wealth of the Catholic Church is inapplicable.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote