Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #3501
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about something like this?

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...e-375206-1.htm
or
https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...t-225767-1.htm

I prefer this style for commuting. I'd be suspicious of no-name shoes build quality from Amazon.

Last edited by Fuzz; 04-12-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #3502
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long is your commute? How often? I find that a certain brand of SPDs fits me pretty good, my feet are finicky. If your Northwaves do the trick, I'd stick with them. Poor fitting shoes suck.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #3503
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What about something like this?

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...e-375206-1.htm
or
https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...t-225767-1.htm

I prefer this style for commuting. I'd be suspicious of no-name shoes build quality from Amazon.
Good suggestions thanks.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #3504
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've only been up that once on an electric scooter but that could be an option. I've only ever been up Mackay Road and Home Road to get out of the valley and those hills kick my ass too hard. Maybe I can use 37th street up to the base of the hospital as that seems pretty easy.
In my opinion, the Foothills hospital from memorial climb is much nicer and easier than Mackay Road and Home Road.

If you get tired mid-way, you can rest on the benches behind the hospital with the great view.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #3505
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I need you guys to talk me into or out of expensive shoes.

I'm a casual commuting cyclist with a road bike that I have spd pedals on. I have some old NorthWave cycle shoes that I bought from Ridley's a decade ago that I think I spent about $100 on, no complaints, they've held up well but are literally falling apart now.

I went into MEC and The Bike Shop on the weekend and couldn't find anything less than $200.... I've learned the "you get what you pay for" lesson long ago, but do I really need a $200-$300 shoe when there non name brand shoes on Amazon for $75-$100? Would it really make that big a difference to a rider like myself?
For commuting to work, I gave up on clip ins. It's so much nicer to be able to have your feet free at red lights and other things inside the city. Many studies and videos have shown there is only a small power difference between the two unless you are doing hardcore distances and racing.

If you want cheaper shoes, I would have a look at Decathlon maybe.

When I do clip in, I am running a pair of Specialized shoes I found for $8 at Goodwill lol!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-12-2022 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #3506
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For commuting to work, I gave up on clip ins. It's so much nice to be able to have your feet free at red lights and other things inside the city. Many studies and videos have shown there is only a small power difference between the two unless you are doing hardcore distances and racing.
This is me, I've never bothered with getting clips for my summer commuter. I find I can switch up my footwear based on the weather that way too. Much easier.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #3507
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This is me, I've never bothered with getting clips for my summer commuter. I find I can switch up my footwear based on the weather that way too. Much easier.
If people feel like they want more grip on the pedals after switching away from clip ins, there are pedals with incredibly grippy skateboard like textures. I find that's the best mix for urban riding.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/bike-ped...jectID=2390260

these are a bit heavy though if you are a weight fiend.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #3508
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1513989246339612672

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #3509
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a casual commuting cyclist with a road bike that I have spd pedals on. I have some old NorthWave cycle shoes that I bought from Ridley's a decade ago that I think I spent about $100 on, no complaints, they've held up well but are literally falling apart now.

I went into MEC and The Bike Shop on the weekend and couldn't find anything less than $200.... I've learned the "you get what you pay for" lesson long ago, but do I really need a $200-$300 shoe when there non name brand shoes on Amazon for $75-$100? Would it really make that big a difference to a rider like myself?
If you watch Kijiji and FB marketplace you’d be surprised what you can find for less than $50. And no don’t assume they’ll be trashed. I’ve found several pairs of nearly new name brand bike shoes in my size - road, mtb, and winter mtb. Ditto for pedals.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #3510
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

The one thing I found myself was the profile was a little "too upright" for my liking. Mind you I am also looking at moving from my hybrid bike to a real road bike at some point. It's also important to note that we went with a small-medium size for her. Had this been my bike I would have gone with a large.
What's the height difference between you and your wife?

Quote:

When it comes to any footwear - but especially ski boots/bike shoes/hiking boots - chase comfort over performance (unless you're competing or something). Bike shoes can be kinda tough to shop for though...MEC probably has a lot more inventory online (especially in the ~$150 range); I recently ordered 3 pairs so I could take my time deciding.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:51 PM   #3511
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
What's the height difference between you and your wife?
I am 5' 9" and she is 5' 4". So she pretty much has the seat all the way down, and I have it as high as it can go. I would probably have the seat an inch or two higher if I could, but I run out of post length.

I did a full commute with the ebike last week. I did find out exactly how it behaves. There are power assist levels of 1-5; each one will help you up to a certain speed:
1 helps to about 13 km/h
2 helps to about 18
3 helps to 24
4 helps to 28
5 helps to 32 (which is the max power assist.)

The good and bad with that- unless you are traveling at almost one of those threshold speeds, you either get pretty much full assist or none. At 23 km/h I found it would give me around 10% power to keep me along if I was on level 3. But at 25 km/h it gave no assistance. Going to level 4 the bike would always try to get me up closer to 28 km/h.

On the ride home keeping pace with a buddy on a regular bike, I found I would more often use a lower power mode, and then if I needed to catch up I would just feather the throttle. This is still going to be great for my wife to go on rides with me; however I am starting to question how much it would help me as a "medium" cyclist keep up to somebody much more advanced. (Short of using a tonne of power, which defeats the purpose of riding.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #3512
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a really weird way to do assist. My dad's just has eco, normal and boost. Each level maintains roughly the assist power across all ranges of speeds, but the higher levels provide more assistance. So all you have to decide is how much help you want. It works really well, but I guess that's part of the difference between cheap and expensive systems.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:27 PM   #3513
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, we are getting the hang of the bike, and my wife really loves being able to keep pace with me. Going much more that what we spent wasn't really an option.

Side note- I have been going back and forth with the city, my councilor (ward 12) and the province regarding the canal pathway. What my councilor's office has suggested is that:
"feel free to report it to 311 again, or if you know anyone else that takes this path and would report it, too. The City plans a lot based on statistics from 311."

So the section in question is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/RtoXd7913ZPhuUwe9

That is the part with the roots coming right out of the pathway, and new paths have been carved into the surrounding grass. So if anybody takes that path, please report it to 311. Feel free to mention that you are making that report as recommended by city council as well as Rajan Sawhney- Minister of Transportation.

Hopefully if enough of us complain, they will finally get that section fixed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #3514
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

Yeah, that section is brutal. Resembles a bombed Kandahar runway.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #3515
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a really weird way to do assist. My dad's just has eco, normal and boost. Each level maintains roughly the assist power across all ranges of speeds, but the higher levels provide more assistance. So all you have to decide is how much help you want. It works really well, but I guess that's part of the difference between cheap and expensive systems.
It’s a difference between cheap systems as well. There are two main options in the Bafang Hub drive controllers for cheap E-bikes. One applies max power up to a given speed and the other applies constant Amperage for a given level of assist.

The constant amperage models are superior as it more closely simulates the Tourque based mid drive motors. There are some controller / displays that are set up to do both so if you google the manual for the display you have there may be settings available to change that aren’t locked down by the manufacturer.

Last edited by GGG; 04-26-2022 at 05:24 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 07:15 AM   #3516
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bow Valley Parkway will be closed to vehicle again this summer to allow cyclists easy access although the road will be open during the peak summer months from June 26 to the end of August.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6434800

Also there was previous chat about the Moraine Lake Road cycle. Does anyone know if next weekend would be good for the ride or would the road still have snow covered sections? I'm hoping to take my kids up there before the May long weekend opening.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 07:28 AM   #3517
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Road should be clear, I think it opens to buses this weekend so not totally vehicle free.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #3518
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep an eye out all, this is a hell of a bike to get stolen...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1520058623304499200
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #3519
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

rode my bike to work yesterday for the first time in two years.

- the new path along the RCGA is nice as i can avoid the lynnwood climb. i then get back on the other side of the river at carburn park. this little detour adds almost no distance on my ride of ~25k
- my entire ride i felt like i was pedalling in a box - need to get more miles in
- the bike facilities and shower area in my building are top notch. only thing missing from the change room is a hair dryer. would also be nice if we wcould rent lockers in the change room so i could leave stuff in there on a longer term basis
- navigating the last stretch to the office is a PITA due to the construction on the pathway is a bit of a pita and it will take me a bit of time to get used to using the cycle-tracks
- i liked riding where i could see deerfoot more and the stop and go traffic as i was moving along

i am hoping to get out on my mtn bike this weekend and hit up mckinnon flats near serneity golf course as it is supposed to be dry there bsased on comments on Facebook
Old 04-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #3520
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Road should be clear, I think it opens to buses this weekend so not totally vehicle free.
Parks Canada website says that bus service begins on June 1. Bus reservations start on May 4 though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: