Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #501
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I completely agree with your interpretation that Smith has been miles better than what we had last year and has kept us in a few games on top of the ones he straight up stole.

I would like to point out though, that although Bingo's stat did come off a little disingenuous (including Lack's .813 and Gillies .750 in the .910 stat and then following the stat up with "Mike Smith hasn't saved this team" as if it was Mike Smith with a .910) you did kind of just call the owner of this site legally blind.
He can't ban me if he can't see me
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #502
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I agree with this. There was a bidding war for Hamonic, and the Flames made the highest bid.

I don't dislike the player. I just think it was too high a price to pay for an injury--prone 2nd pairing d-man coming off a bad season.
I think that is a pretty reasonable assessment and Hamonic can be a very important player for this club while the above is still true. You just have to hope that Flames have the assets to make other needed deals.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #503
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder when the Flames will announce the incoming scoring winger that they obviously still need.

They have the defensive depth to make it happen.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #504
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Hasn’t been.

We paid the same price for a 22 year old coming off a top pair season and 40+ points in Boston.
But Boston couldn't sign Dougie and needed to move him, Hamonic still had good term on his contract. I think we paid market price for Hamonic and below market for Dougie.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #505
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
But Boston couldn't sign Dougie and needed to move him, Hamonic still had good term on his contract. I think we paid market price for Hamonic and below market for Dougie.
Prices also change...look at some of the contracts handed out last summer vs. one year earlier
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #506
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Prices also change...look at some of the contracts handed out last summer vs. one year earlier
I agree. At the time I still think we stole Dougie. And this off season I think we paid a fair price for a guy with 3 years remaining at $3.85M
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #507
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I guess Mangiapane was the big shake up? Couldn't they have at least fired Cameron or something? Anything?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #508
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

As much as the rumour is being mocked for not coming true yet, I wouldn't be surprised if something is very close and the last win extended it. As much as Brad may be ready to pull the trigger on a coaching change, Glen is still his hire and Brad moves to the hot seat with any struggles after his next coaching change.

As much as he may be ready and possibly pressured from above, I wouldn't be surprised if every win holds him back as he hopes and prays that a streak and turnaround starts.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #509
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
As much as the rumour is being mocked for not coming true yet, I wouldn't be surprised if something is very close and the last win extended it. As much as Brad may be ready to pull the trigger on a coaching change, Glen is still his hire and Brad moves to the hot seat with any struggles after his next coaching change.

As much as he may be ready and possibly pressured from above, I wouldn't be surprised if every win holds him back as he hopes and prays that a streak and turnaround starts.
If a single win was enough to convince the GM to keep a coach then we’re in deeper doodoo than we first thought. I’d like to hope he doesn’t operate like a fan does.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #510
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of the things that is wrong with social media. It makes people want news instantly. When in actual fact behind the scenes there are a lot of things going on that make it far from a done deal. That is if it didn't fall apart at the last minute.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #511
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If a single win was enough to convince the GM to keep a coach then we’re in deeper doodoo than we first thought. I’d like to hope he doesn’t operate like a fan does.
Not like a fan, like a GM that unfortunately has some desperation in him. I said one win hopefully leading to a streak not one win and it's all good again.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #512
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the Flames are in the hunt they are not firing GG, I think some fans need to come to grips with that.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #513
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As long as the Flames are in the hunt they are not firing GG, I think some fans need to come to grips with that.
I agree that if they make a shakeup it will be of the roster variety and not the coach. I personally would rather they make a coaching change than a big trade but not sure that is how the management team feels.

The advanced stats suggest Gulutzan is doing a good job outside of special teams. However special teams were fine under him last year.

Only way he possibly is fired is if he misses the playoffs or this team goes full tank which is unlikely
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #514
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But if the GM's vision was to be challenging for the division, or at least secure a top 3 seed, then his man is failing hard. Why hang onto him?

Even if they secure a WC spot, that should be considered disappointing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #515
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

So... any indication that a shakeup is still "incoming"?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #516
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
But if the GM's vision was to be challenging for the division, or at least secure a top 3 seed, then his man is failing hard. Why hang onto him?

Even if they secure a WC spot, that should be considered disappointing.
But that can't be determined until the season is over. Division is a long shot, granted, but top 3 seed is well within reach, especially if the team is as good as the GM believes it is.

Either way it points to GG getting the season to work with.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #517
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #518
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, we've never, ever been a proactive franchise. It probably helps explain why we've won only 4 playoff series in nearly 30 years.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #519
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I agree that if they make a shakeup it will be of the roster variety and not the coach. I personally would rather they make a coaching change than a big trade but not sure that is how the management team feels.

The advanced stats suggest Gulutzan is doing a good job outside of special teams. However special teams were fine under him last year.

Only way he possibly is fired is if he misses the playoffs or this team goes full tank which is unlikely
I think the overall numbers of the PP being 20th and PK being 25th don't tell the whole story. Since the Detroit game, the Flames PK is 7th at a 85.5%. Which is really good. That is over a span of 23 games. Those first 16 games they played, particularly the Detroit game where they let in 4 PPG, really drag down the overall. I have no problems at all with the PK recently.

PP has been struggling, I will admit that. People ragged on Versteeg and the setup, but before his injury Flames were 22.2% good for 11th in the league. Since his injury they have struggled through a bunch of different combinations and it shows as their PP% has dropped to 13.2% since his injury. I think the good news is that the current unit that was put together after Christmas is getting chances and have scored a few goals. Tiny sample size, but since Christmas Flames PP is 3rd in the league. Hopefully that trend continues.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #520
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, I really hope the Flames go on a tear and make some of the posters here eat crow.

I'm as frustrated as the next fan who thinks his team should be performing better, but the narrative around here is so negative that it bottles the mind.

If you want to talk about the historical record, look at how many fan bases don't have even one Stanley cup to celebrate. Not that any Flames fans I know are waving 1989 in anyone's face like our northern friends are prone to do, but still.

It could be much worse, and the season isn't even half over. Let the boys play it out.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post: