Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #501
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you missed the livestream and wanted to watch it, it is up here:

http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1/b/483089794

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #502
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

$33 million reached, only 11 hours and 47 minutes after the campaign hit $32 million, unlocking:
Quote:
Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!
$34 million goal:
Quote:
MISC Hull C (Discreet) – Scaling from small “box trucks” to massive supertankers, the MISC range of cargo hulls (A-D) are the standard goods transporter in human space. Extremely configurable, MISC Hulls can be adapted for most any type of transport job: from standard bulk shipping on the patrolled spacelanes to armored cargo hauling on the frontier. While these pre-configured hulls are primarily used for legitimate purposes, the MISC Hull Cs have recently become the favorite for criminals who modify the ship with advanced sensor shadow technology, quick-decompress holds and a variety of hidden compartments without modifying the ship’s body so it will appear to onlookers as standard everyday transports.
$35 million goal:
Quote:
Drake Herald – Knowledge is power, and one of the most valuable commodities is pure information: the 1s and 0s behind everything from UEC ledgers to Citizenship ratings. Whether it’s colonists struggling to stay in contact with the UEE’s central worlds or criminals trading in illicit data, there will always be a need to securely move data. The Drake Herald, small, armored ship, is designed to fit that need and safely get that information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, the Herald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture. The Herald includes an array of heavy duty internal options for data protection, including redundant power subsystems and EMP shielding, and a high-powered broadcast array for data transmission.

The next five stretch goals will be systems. You can vote on what you'd like the primary feature of the $36 million goal to be here:

Letter From The Chairman: $33 million

Some concept art of the approach to Xis: (click to embiggen)

Last edited by Nehkara; 11-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #503
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Videos!

This is the WIP video showing the new Physically Based Rendering they will be using. This will improve visuals and not negatively impact performance. It will also make things easier for the developers long term. They are also showing the new Avenger model in this video!

This one shows the Weapons Firing Range that is scheduled to be added around Christmas time to the Hangar Module.

This is showing the development of the HUD (some incredible shots of the work-in-progress HUD here):

This one is dedicated to the orchestral recording sessions that have been taking place for the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 soundtracks (LOVE the music!):

Last edited by Nehkara; 11-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #504
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of a few minutes ago, the Anniversary sale is now over.

$5,536,188 is the total for the sale.

The final 24 hours of the sale garnered a whopping $1,847,869!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #505
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
If you missed the livestream and wanted to watch it, it is up here:

http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1/b/483089794
Highlight: the team rips on X: Rebirth for a moment I think around 27 minutes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #506
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a bad feeling about Star Citizen. This game is going to get crucified. I absolutely hate stretch goals and the fact that they keep adding more and more to this game as they get additional money makes me worried. Hopefully it ends up being a great game but I am happy I have nothing invested in it's development.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #507
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I have a bad feeling about Star Citizen. This game is going to get crucified. I absolutely hate stretch goals and the fact that they keep adding more and more to this game as they get additional money makes me worried. Hopefully it ends up being a great game but I am happy I have nothing invested in it's development.
I'm getting the distinct impression lately that these are just marketing ploys... Take the "Smuggling" ship:

Quote:
MISC Hull C (Discreet) – Scaling from small “box trucks” to massive supertankers, the MISC range of cargo hulls (A-D) are the standard goods transporter in human space. Extremely configurable, MISC Hulls can be adapted for most any type of transport job: from standard bulk shipping on the patrolled spacelanes to armored cargo hauling on the frontier. While these pre-configured hulls are primarily used for legitimate purposes, the MISC Hull Cs have recently become the favorite for criminals who modify the ship with advanced sensor shadow technology, quick-decompress holds and a variety of hidden compartments without modifying the ship’s body so it will appear to onlookers as standard everyday transports.
They obviously had hulls A-D already planned. If Cargo Hauling had won, I bet they would have just featured Hull A, B or D instead of C.

Brilliant marketing - making users think they have a greater say than they actually do... or maybe allowing users to help prioritize the planned efforts to get some sooner than others - but I don't think these stretch goals are expanding anything.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #508
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically they are letting the community choose what they want to see first. The community is mostly aware that we will likely see all of the options presented at some point. Once we are through it (we are currently not even halfway through), there will have been a $10 million stretch where we have added 5 ships and 5 systems. Considering they said they were currently at about 55 systems and the launch plans were for 100+, I don't think that any of this is really straining CIG.

I also don't think people fully understand... Chris Roberts doesn't have to make this game for anyone else. His sole responsibility is to the fans, to make a good game. If that means it takes longer... gamers will bitch and moan... and wait (see: Valve and Blizzard). Plus, along the way we will get bits of gameplay to partially satisfy our curiosity and need to play the game.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #509
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Honestly they haven't added much since they hit their original goal ($23 million). The stretch goals have been prioritizing things that they wanted to do at some point but didn't have the money to do, or allowing fans to help prioritize development.

Chris Roberts isn't an idiot... and he has all the time in the world (and apparently all the money he could ever ask for). All he needs to do is make a good game. There's no publisher there demanding that he release the game so the company's shareholders will get their piece.

There is a part of me that worries but... with the way it is being released, we will know sooner rather than later if there is something wrong.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #510
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #511
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Highlight: the team rips on X: Rebirth for a moment I think around 27 minutes in.
This game's music might make or break it for me. I cringed when CIG's composer started talking about orchestrated music. I can't stand that in games.

If X: Rebirth and the X Series has anything, it's the amazing soundtrack by Alexei Zakharov that makes you just want to float around in space forever.

Also, X: Rebirth is getting reborn again as fan modding kicks into high gear.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #512
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the next strech goal is

40 million Dollar Goal:
Quote:
Profit:The team and I are going to take your hard earned money and make it rain at various clubs around the world. All backers will get a poster of our favourite dancer to hang in their hanger.
41 million Dollar Goal:
Quote:
Nigerian Money Scheme:The team and I just recieved several emails from various Nigerian Politicians who really want to fund the game. However all of their money is locked in an oversees account and they need people to act as an intermediary to get it out. The backers can vote for which Prince they want to help.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #513
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

When can you actually play this game?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #514
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dogfighting module comes out this December.

The game is being released in a modular form that continuously builds on the modules released prior, culminating in the release of the large MMO "Player Universe" that is Star Citizen.

Timeline looks something like
Dec 2013 - Singleplayer (vs bots) Dogfighting Alpha
Jan-Feb 2014 - Multiplayer Dogfighting Alpha (w/ leaderboards and stuff)
Summer 2014 - Squadron 42 (Singleplayer campaign) Alpha
Q4 2014-Q1 2015 - PU Alpha

Keep in mind during the inbetween times they will be releasing more content such as planets, ships, mechanics and such for testers to test.

If you must have a full or near full game, lets just say 12-18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #515
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giving Thanks

Quote:
Excerpt:

We’re in this for the long run. Because of your incredible support, we are already the biggest budgeted Space Sim in history, giving us the freedom to hire the best of the best and to take the time to do things right. However I’m not foolish enough to think everything will always go perfectly on Star Citizen. We will occasionally stumble. Not everything will go according to plan. And we definitely won’t be able to build a game that matches everyone’s personal vision of the game. That’s impossible with so many people!

But I’m confident that with this team and the support of everyone in the growing Star Citizen we will deliver a game that will make the majority of you happy and create a universe that all of us will spend many years to come creating our own stories. A universe that will never be static, but always improving and expanding. I am more committed to this than ever and the team and I won’t be satisfied with anything less.

So today, the team and I give thanks to all of you being for such an amazing community and giving us your trust. We won’t let you down!

— Chris Roberts

Last edited by Nehkara; 11-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #516
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you strip away the massive advertising budgets for top tier games (which Star Citizen doesn't have to worry about) their budget is right in line with some of the biggest titles you see on PC or consoles, and it's only going to get bigger (god help their servers when the Constellation variants go on sale)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #517
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you strip away the massive advertising budgets for top tier games (which Star Citizen doesn't have to worry about) their budget is right in line with some of the biggest titles you see on PC or consoles, and it's only going to get bigger (god help their servers when the Constellation variants go on sale)
Yeah, I think they will end up with at least $60 million (one forecast I'm keeping a close eye on currently says $68 million) when all is said and done. Possibly much more depending on the response to the various modules/alphas, or less if funding dries up significantly after the alpha slots are gone.

In terms of DEVELOPMENT budgets (I tried to find numbers that excluded marketing)... here are a few examples to give you an idea (these are adjusted for inflation and in USD):

Halo 3 - $34 million

Mass Effect 3 - $40 million

LA Noire - $50 million

CoD: MW2 - $54 million

FF XIII - $66 million

Crysis 3 - $68 million

MGS4 - $77 million

Gran Turismo 5 - $88 million

GTA V - $137 million

One of the interesting points is that Star Citizen may have a similar development budget to Crysis 3 (Star Citizen uses the CryEngine 3).

Last edited by Nehkara; 11-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #518
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a fantastic excerpt from the Giving Thanks link in my previous post:

Quote:
We’re all following a dream with Star Citizen.

That’s because Star Citizen isn’t a game in a normal sense of the word. It’s not a finite experience that you will play for a week and put down. Star Citizen is the promise of endless adventure in the openness of space. We all don’t have the same exact dream. Some of us want to explore uncharted stars, some of us want to build a trading empire, some of us want to make our name as a fearless bounty hunter or mercenary or some want to prey on easy targets as a notorious pirate. The spaceship sitting in our hangars represents that promise of adventure, the ability to blast off into space to make our fortune and a name for ourselves. We all in some way are following our childhood dreams when we looked up to the stars and wondered what it would be like traveling among them.

Last edited by Nehkara; 11-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #519
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

On reddit someone posted a thread asking the question "To anyone who has donated $1000+ to a kickstarter project, what did it go to and why did you feel the need to donate so much?"

Turns out there were a few replies about SC

NSFW!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #520
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Galatic Guide entry for the Goss system:

Beautiful concept art of Goss II: Cassel.

(Click the image to embiggen (4296 x 2418)!)

Last edited by Nehkara; 12-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.