Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #3381
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Neal is not a particularly good hockey player. He is better than Lucic, and that's why Edmonton had to give up a player making quite a bit less cash than Neal to get Neal.

Calgary wanted the cash savings (and the small cap savings) and was willing to get the lesser player because Neal did not fit well with them and they hoped that Lucic would give them some small value.

None of that has really changed. Neal got off to a great start goal wise, but he still isn't a particularly effective player. he wouldn't be doing this with Calgary, and I think everyone knows that.

Treliving's bad decision was signing Neal in the first place. His decision tor trade him for Lucic was not something that really hurts Calgary; in fact, the cash savings continues to help them.

I think those who are roasting Treliving for the trade are really misplacing their criticism.

In magnitude of suckiness:

(1) Signing Neal.
(2) Keeping Neal.
(3) Trading Neal for Lucic.

Having committed Sin #1, Treliving did the best he could to get to #3. because staying at #2 was a very poor choice.
I generally agree with this, although the order of 2 and 3 are debatable. I can understand both parts of the argument. The goal scoring and production aspects of Lucic's game are unsalvageable IMO. Maybe Neal not so much, but there were obviously other factors that contributed to them wanting him off the team. Lucic gives you elements outside of goal scoring for sure.

Signing Neal was a gigantic mistake. Did they handle him the right way after signing him? To me that is an open question that we will never really know. It's 100% on him for being such a bad hockey player for the Flames, but surely the club had some idea of the personality that accompanied the player.

As for the cash savings being a big positive. That depends entirely whether that money gets plowed back into the organization. That is going to be hard to determine. Otherwise it's a big who cares for me as a hockey fan.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3382
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I think it’s healthy to be critical and objective with the things you love, even if you’re not always right. You’re a parent, so you know you don’t always agree with the stuff your kids do. You may even lose your cool with them every now and again. But clearly you still love them, and sometimes they surprise you and prove you wrong. It’s no different for a hockey team. Yes, I do tend to be more skeptical of this team’s fortunes, because I’ve been taught by 30 years of futility to expect nothing. Other people feel differently, and I like hearing those perspectives.

What I take umbrage with is the quickness of a vocal few who make it their mission to take things to a personal level over someone’s meaningless opinions of a silly game played by millionaires. It’s usually the same few people over and over who make it tough to keep caring about contributing.
Don't disagree.

If it's personal, report it.

And I'll certainly look as well for instances.

Just make sure you're not taking it personally when people disagree with you being negative.

I honestly believe most fans lean to the positive and with that you have to honestly feel you're fighting an uphill battle to side negatively on most topics.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #3383
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
As for the cash savings being a big positive. That depends entirely whether that money gets plowed back into the organization. That is going to be hard to determine. Otherwise it's a big who cares for me as a hockey fan.
Calgary's owners have never sat on a pile of money, they certainly spend to the cap. But they certainly haven't gone out of their way to spend a lot more than that in buying out contracts. I think we can assume that the extra cash will be spent on the team in some fashion.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #3384
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This thread is still a thing? I think it’s safe to say at this very early point in the season, the flames have not won this trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #3385
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we change the thread title to I Like James Neal for Estrada and his band of grumpy men?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #3386
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
This thread is still a thing? I think it’s safe to say at this very early point in the season, the flames have not won this trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its because CP, and most of the internet for that matter, is 25% analysis and 75% emotional reactions. It just so happens that the majority of emotional reactions people feel like they need to express are negative. Take the trade with Carolina thread for example. The Flames easily won that trade, and it was bumped only a handful of times, and most of the time it was in relation to Adam Fox, a player that brings up a lot of negative reactions. If you don't like the thread, don't bump it.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #3387
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Can we change the thread title to I Like James Neal for Estrada and his band of grumpy men?
For anyone looking for an example of a deliberately inflammatory drive by post...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #3388
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's not already a win for Edmonton, because I'm very confident Neal is not going to work out long term. In other words, one day management is going to wish they still had Lucic and not Neal.
Lucic already wasn’t working out. So even if we get one year of Neal playing good, it’s more of a win then Lucic would be. Not to mention the lack of a buyout proof contract, and not having to protect him during expansion, and it’s way better for Edmonton. There is nothing that can happen that would make the Oilers wish for Lucic back.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #3389
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Lucic already wasn’t working out. So even if we get one year of Neal playing good, it’s more of a win then Lucic would be. Not to mention the lack of a buyout proof contract, and not having to protect him during expansion, and it’s way better for Edmonton. There is nothing that can happen that would make the Oilers wish for Lucic back.
Yeah, Oilers probably can't lose, the only remote exceptions being:

(a) Lucic scores 15 and breaks faces, Flames make playoff run and Lucic is a key contributor
(b) Neal cancers the Oilers even more than Kevin Lowe

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #3390
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I wouldn't assume the single year to be honest.

Some early PP scoring with a 45% shooting percentage may not be enough to offset his five on five play.

Lucic's contract isn't buy out proof, it lacks big cap savings motivations but it can certainly be bought out. Not sure why that gets repeated as fact when it isn't true, there were plenty of Edmonton media articles in the past two years identifying when in the future it would make sense to buy out Lucic.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #3391
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not already a win for Edmonton, because I'm very confident Neal is not going to work out long term. In other words, one day management is going to wish they still had Lucic and not Neal.
This is a prime example of intellectual dishonesty.

There would not be a hockey fan or analyst outside of a vocal few here on CP that would hold that opinion.

Is Neal going to be the worst player on the Oilers? bottom-3 like he was on the Flames last season .... no

Is Lucic going to be anything more than a bottom line thug with the Flames?

Even if Neal was as bad as he was in his brief time as a Flame they would have to be getting beaten in goon fights pretty often to want Lucic back.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #3392
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Edmonton did lose last night, to a Blackhawk team that is first good team they played.Let’s get back to focusing on the “no good” that they represent.

Neal is a side show.
Blackhawks are a good team?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #3393
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Admit it, there are things you guys really miss about Feaster.

“Intellectual honesty”

For me, integrating a new player in to the team can take time. Peters has had the bottom 6 blender out like every day is Margarita Monday.

Dougie Hamilton stunk for his first 20 games. James Neal will regress from his 100 goal pace. Lucic will settle in to some role

It is a process
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #3394
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it looks like we might be on the losing end of this trade. Yes, Treliving does make bad mistakes (this is not his first, btw). Yes, we all want Lucic to do better than he does now. Yes, it's likely going to hurt our roster management capability in the next 2-3 years.

But the more time we bitterly chew on it and the more time this thread remains at the top, the more joy it delivers to the Oilers' fans. Seriously, people. It's done. Let's move on.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #3395
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
This is a prime example of intellectual dishonesty.

There would not be a hockey fan or analyst outside of a vocal few here on CP that would hold that opinion.

Is Neal going to be the worst player on the Oilers? bottom-3 like he was on the Flames last season .... no

Is Lucic going to be anything more than a bottom line thug with the Flames?

Even if Neal was as bad as he was in his brief time as a Flame they would have to be getting beaten in goon fights pretty often to want Lucic back.
You are wrong about this. And maybe, just maybe, I'm basing my opinion on stuff you haven't even considered.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #3396
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are wrong about this. And maybe, just maybe, I'm basing my opinion on stuff you haven't even considered.
The same reason you keep alluding to is why Lucic would not be playing on the Oilers this season whether the trade went through or not.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3397
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The same reason you keep alluding to is why Lucic would not be playing on the Oilers this season whether the trade went through or not.
No it's not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #3398
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Yes, it looks like we might be on the losing end of this trade. Yes, Treliving does make bad mistakes (this is not his first, btw). Yes, we all want Lucic to do better than he does now. Yes, it's likely going to hurt our roster management capability in the next 2-3 years.

But the more time we bitterly chew on it and the more time this thread remains at the top, the more joy it delivers to the Oilers' fans.
This is true.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #3399
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still consider it a wash, even if Neal does well in Edmonton.

- There was nothing redeemable about his play here. If he left the team without anything coming back, it still would have been a win. The guy was hot garbage, it doesn't matter that he picked it up elsewhere. For all we know, being traded to Siberia was a wake up call for him and that's why he's improved. Something that wouldn't have happened here. There's no reason to think he would have improved on what happened last season if he had stayed here.

- Talking to some ex-NHLers about the deal, they universally agree that there must have been behind the scenes issues for them to make that deal after a single season of poor play on a contract that the current GM signed.

- Lucic is as advertised (ie, no good) and has still had more impact in the first few games than Neal did all season. In his first shift. People who didn't watch the Flames consistently just don't realize how utterly useless the guy was. A net negative. A single hit thrown by Lucic includes more effort than Neal's entire last season combined.

It's a deal that may work out for Edmonton, good for them. IMO that doesn't make it a bad trade. Getting Neal off the team for anything is pure gravy. I believe it'll all work out as we expected: Neal will score more points than Lucic. Edmonton will still be bad despite hot start. Flames will still be a playoff team despite rough start and Lucic's contribution to that will be minimal/non-existent, but that's better than the consistent net-negative that was James Neal.

I really wish Neal had worked here. I was excited about the signing and hopeful he would eventually turned around. But time after time I found myself screaming at the TV "WTF are you doing? Where are you going? This clown has no idea where he is on the ice. Get to the goddamned puck."

You can tell when someone is slow but trying (Lucic) or just straight up not interested in putting in more effort (Neal). You need the latter off your team. It's poisonous. It frustrates every other player and it's not surprising everyone was fed up.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #3400
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one that finds this early season scenario pretty funny? I cannot WAIT till the inevitable oilers collapse (yes it's coming), and Neal's collapse and then all the Staples articles of where did it all go wrong?

It's going to be so glorious!! Just hope Neal gets his 21 goals before the nuclear meltdown.