Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #901
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does any grow blueberries? I have two plants in one of my garden beds. I previously had 4 but three died, one survived and one was replaced. The original survivor looks healthy and is quite large and about 5 years old. It has never made fruit though. The second plant is two years old and also looks healthy and might actually produce fruit this year.

Is there anything I should be doing to try to get fruit from my blueberry bush? I use fertilizer and aluminum for acidity and it gets the appropriate amount of water. I'm stumped.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #902
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. My wife tried for years. One time she talked to the old guy at the garden centre who knows everything, and he kinda laughed. "No, you can't grow blueberries here. We sell them if you want, but good luck." She bought them anyway, and failed one last time, using every tip in the book.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #903
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does any grow blueberries? I have two plants in one of my garden beds. I previously had 4 but three died, one survived and one was replaced. The original survivor looks healthy and is quite large and about 5 years old. It has never made fruit though. The second plant is two years old and also looks healthy and might actually produce fruit this year.

Is there anything I should be doing to try to get fruit from my blueberry bush? I use fertilizer and aluminum for acidity and it gets the appropriate amount of water. I'm stumped.
Blueberries require acidic soil. Virtually all of Calgary has alkaline soil. No go.

A very good alternative is honeyberry (haskap). Tough as nails, you can have ripe berries in June sometimes.

Last edited by Shazam; 07-10-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #904
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, my friend grows those with no problem. Yummy berries.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #905
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Blueberries require acidic soil. Virtually all of Calgary has alkaline soil. No go.

A very good alternative is honeyberry (haskap). Tough as nails, you can have ripe berries in June sometimes.
The acidity is why I use aluminum sulfate. Maybe I don't use enough though? I haven't actually tested the ph of my blueberry bed soil though.

I'll look into those honeyberries though. Maybe it will be a good alternative.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #906
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The acidity is why I use aluminum sulfate. Maybe I don't use enough though? I haven't actually tested the ph of my blueberry bed soil though.

I bought 6 haskaps this spring for my back yard. They seem to be doing well so far, expecting berries in 2 years or so.

Keep in mind you need at least two different types to pollinate. I got 3 Boreal Beauty and 3 Boreal Beast plants.

https://research-groups.usask.ca/fru...ops/haskap.php
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #907
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is no hope in getting Calgary's soil acidic enough. The subsoil constantly leeches limestone up. Blueberries prefer a soil pH around 4.5-5, Calgary's is around 8.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #908
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even better to stick to fruits/veggies you know they grow commercially nearby. Good indication of what works and what doesn't. Blueberries do fabulous way out east and the west coast, but their climates and soils are so much different than here.

While you seem like a knowledgeable gardener, I always caution people that while the garden centres might sell them, doesn't mean the climate or soil will let it do well.

(looking at you Hydrangeas....)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #909
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh there's lots of hydrangeas that do fine here (I have four). You can even grow mopheads here if you have the right exposure. McInnis and Holloway have some beautiful huge ones in front.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #910
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I gave up on blueberries and grow haskups and raspberries instead.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #911
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Eh there's lots of hydrangeas that do fine here (I have four). You can even grow mopheads here if you have the right exposure. McInnis and Holloway have some beautiful huge ones in front.
I figured someone would mention that. I'll concede the point that it's possible (like blueberries are) but it takes such a specific exposure and placement (and over-winter care) that its nearly impossible when compared the sheer volume that garden centres sell.

Same as cedars - I'd suspect less than 5% survive longer than 2 years in Calgary, but you'd think they work great given the volume moved at garden centres.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #912
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hydrangeas I'm referring to are cultivars of hydrangea paniculata, which are very hardy. Mopheads like "Annabelle" are cultivars of hydrangea arborescens, which are much fussier.

Take a look at ones like 'Firelight', 'Quick Fire', 'Limelight'. These do very well here.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #913
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I had this space between the house and garage that needed filling. I built the planter box in the spring, which my wife has turned into a veggie bonanza. I just finished the flagstone today, came out pretty nice, I think! Will close it off with a 4 foot fence to keep the rabbits out.

If anyone needs flagstone, this guy is great. He's just getting started here, his dad has a quarry in BC so he brings out a big truck and sells it here for less than half the price of everywhere else. Will deliver directly to where you need it. His name is Daniel.

https://www.stoneone.ca/

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-03-2019 at 06:32 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #914
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I gave up on blueberries and grow haskups and raspberries instead.
Do you get any haskcap berries?

I planted six plants (four of them pollinators) a couple years ago, and nothing. I'm thinking either the blooms get decimated by late frost, or the plants just need more time to get established.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #915
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Do you get any haskcap berries?

I planted six plants (four of them pollinators) a couple years ago, and nothing. I'm thinking either the blooms get decimated by late frost, or the plants just need more time to get established.
Haskaps needs two different types of plants to cross pollinate. That might be your issue?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #916
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Is it to late to do a last lawn mowing? I neglected doing my last one and now after the snow and frosts, is it to late to do one?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #917
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping to do one more mowing this week with the mulcher.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #918
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Is it to late to do a last lawn mowing? I neglected doing my last one and now after the snow and frosts, is it to late to do one?
Naw, it's fine, just don't cut it to short. I usually do mine with raking leaves around now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #919
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally pulled the last of my veggies and winterized my garden. Feelsgoodman.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #920
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the snow is completely gone, I am going to run the mower again... even though there are so many shocked leaves still on the trees.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies