Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #21
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too have now finished the season.

Overall, they covered all of book 1, about 1/3 of book 2 and about 1/4 of book 3. At this pace they would be done the material by season 3 IMO, but they could easily stretch out the parts of book 2 and 3 remaining into multiple seasons each.

Teardrop to end S2 seems likely though.

I take back what I said about not impressing the horror of Sophon enough. I think they achieved that. Wade is not as absolutely evil as he is in the books either.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:12 AM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think it's fair to begin discussing the material now?

The Trisolarians are incapable of lying and know this? Is there also something that compels them to "communicate" and reveal their weaknesses/plan?

On thing I didn't get was why the Trisolarians chose to communicate their plan to human intelligence. Wouldn't it have made more sense from a plot point, to just have the Trisolarians stop communicating and intelligence get the info from defected worshippers.

Edit: Now I'm thinking that the Trisolarians didn't communicate this. The game was providing the info, that had already been pre-recording in there. Intelligence was able to access this after getting the hard drive?

Last edited by blankall; 03-27-2024 at 11:16 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:11 PM   #23
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll give this a try - the Trisolaran's method of communication is very direct, and they have nothing programmed in their brains to detect lies, subterfuge, or nuance. So while their sophons were able to intercept forms of communication they had no way of 'detecting thoughts', so to speak.

I can't quite remember from the books but I think the data retrieved from Mike Evans was how they first clued into the fact the trisolaran's couldn't read minds or pick up on deception, but also that Evans told them more about human nature and it spooked the trisolaran's to the point where they'd no longer communicate with evans. This discovery leads to the the Wallfacer project, and is where I found nothing was really explained about the wallfacers in the Netflix series.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:08 PM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I'll give this a try - the Trisolaran's method of communication is very direct, and they have nothing programmed in their brains to detect lies, subterfuge, or nuance. So while their sophons were able to intercept forms of communication they had no way of 'detecting thoughts', so to speak.

I can't quite remember from the books but I think the data retrieved from Mike Evans was how they first clued into the fact the trisolaran's couldn't read minds or pick up on deception, but also that Evans told them more about human nature and it spooked the trisolaran's to the point where they'd no longer communicate with evans. This discovery leads to the the Wallfacer project, and is where I found nothing was really explained about the wallfacers in the Netflix series.
I gathered that Mike Evans told the Trisolarias about fantasy and lies, which spooked the Trisolarans to the point that they no longer felt comfortable working with any humans and ceased all communications and threw all of their acolytes under the bus.

I was just a bit confused about the scene where the intelligence guys go into the game, and the Trisolarans reveal their plan. Upon reconsideration, the game was likely pre-programed and not live. Having hard drive access allowed intelligence to access the portions of the game with the plan, which had been reserved for those that made it to the final levels and were indoctrinated.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:29 PM   #25
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just started reading the 3rd book and will watch this series once I finish it.

I liked the first two books. The first one came off as a horror at some points and the second one was a social commentary. I will say the concept of a dark forest universe is terrifying.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:44 PM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blankall, you're hitting on something that will become important over the next two seasons of the show by my guess. Probably really important next season.

Without spoiling it, consider that the trisolarans stand to benefit from less human cohesion, and sending the world into a panic by revealing their plan is likely to achieve that.

I doubt they'll talk about it in the show, but when the sophon unfurled over the whole planet it was actually incredibly vulnerable and humanity had a single opportunity to potentially turn the tide against them right there. Opportunity passed.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 01:39 PM   #27
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

3 Body Problem was terrific.

I'd never heard of it, I don't particularly care whether it was faithful to the books, I just thought it was a fun watch.

The first ~four-five episodes had terrific buildup, then it seemed to coast a bit after the sophons were revealed.

Where does one watch the Tencent version?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 02:00 PM   #28
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I just started reading the 3rd book and will watch this series once I finish it.

I liked the first two books. The first one came off as a horror at some points and the second one was a social commentary. I will say the concept of a dark forest universe is terrifying.
The third book is true horror. It makes what happens in the second book look like a walk in the park.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:11 PM   #29
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

I'd never heard of it, I don't particularly care whether it was faithful to the books, I just thought it was a fun watch.

The first ~four-five episodes had terrific buildup, then it seemed to coast a bit after the sophons were revealed.

I watched them by signing up for a free month of Viki, and then cancelled after. It seems to be here with ads tho:
https://www.viki.com/videos/1211477v...body-episode-1

If you get through all of the episodes, you will have essentially 'read' book 1

Edit: what i did is download the viki app for chromecast, get the free trial and watched it ad free and/or I paid for a month. Worked well, highly recommend

Last edited by calumniate; 04-09-2024 at 03:34 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:55 PM   #30
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

It's free with ads on Plex.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote