Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #1001
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I really detest that columnists bring up stuff from 10 years ago and treat it like it is something that the candidate said yesterday. It does not necessarily reflect their current opinion or the position of the party.

That said, this part of the article tells me that the rest is almost irrelevant:

Quote:
If Smith wants to demonstrate that she and her party are ready to govern all Albertans, not just social conservative special interest groups, she’ll need to do a better job of articulating just where she and her party stand now, in 2012, on abortion access.
The fact that the WRP is side stepping most of these socially conservative issues is not surprising to me, but people need to know one way or another who they are electing and their intentions.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #1002
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

* heavy sigh *

By the end of this there will be "exclusive" photos of Danielle biting heads off of kittens.

People complain parties don't talk about issues... and then the media goes down non-existent paths....
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #1003
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
* heavy sigh *

By the end of this there will be "exclusive" photos of Danielle biting heads off of kittens.

People complain parties don't talk about issues... and then the media goes down non-existent paths....

These are not "non-existent" paths. If there was nothign to hide than say that. All Smith/Bewick had to say was "we have no intentions of allowing abortion to be voted, by referenda or otherwise, or delisting if from coverage. Ever." That would assuage most notions of the bogeyman in the closet. Its continual political speak and not answering a direct question.

There are certain issues that society doesnt need to "talk" about anymore. They've been dealth with. Abortion / womens rights, racial equality, sexual equality, etc.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #1004
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
* heavy sigh *

Assuming the quotes in that article are true, it is fairly indicative that the party is not talking about something that is included in their intentions/desires. I don't think that qualifies as a non-existent path.

If it has no legs, and those quotes are taken out of context or simply untrue, then the party should come out and say that they have no intention of allowing anything of that nature to occur.

Problem solved, and without the needless death of kittens.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #1005
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Assuming the quotes in that article are true, it is fairly indicative that the party is not talking about something that is included in their intentions/desires. I don't think that qualifies as a non-existent path.
There is nothing, zero, nadda, in our policies about abortion. Never has been in the entire history of the party.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #1006
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will start by saying that I would join the campaign against delisting the service as would I think most Albertans. But if the WRA has a policy to allow citizen initiated referendums it would be tough to couple that with a list of referendums that would not be allowed.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #1007
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Conscience rights will be the issue for anyone looking to point to the WRP as an extreme right-wing party looking to implement a social conservative agenda. As the PCs have been advertising, "Danielle Smith and the Wild Rose - not worth the risk."

I suspect conscience rights were a bone to social conservatives to get their support without any real intention of pursuing it further. She can't answer yes or no without alienating some group she hopes will vote in a few weeks.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1008
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I will start by saying that I would join the campaign against delisting the service as would I think most Albertans. But if the WRA has a policy to allow citizen initiated referendums it would be tough to couple that with a list of referendums that would not be allowed.
Well that's the thing. You allow referendums and people (with enough signatures) can bring any issue forward. This has been just twisted (by the left) to put the Wildrose in the worst possible light.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1009
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
And I would say 50% of the people who truly require emergency departments are those who are vulnerable, most often the elderly who have undergone some sort of traumatic injury or illness and often times require hospitalization and have to wait for a bed to open up on a medical floor in order to get there. The reason those beds aren't open is because there is no long term care available for them to move into and the situation at their residence isn't viable. That is where the backlog in emergency really happens, it isn't the sniffles or the boo-boos on the leg, it is more systemic than that and it is the fact that the population is getting older and with age comes the inevitable injury and illness.
If I recall right, Guy Boutillier was kicked out of the PC party for arguing in favour of a long term care facility for Ft Mac a few years ago.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #1010
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing, zero, nadda, in our policies about abortion. Never has been in the entire history of the party.
The fact that the WRA is willing to let this even go to a possible referendum is a tacit approval that its worth opening it up to debate, whether intentional or not (no I'm not into conspiracies!!). It doesnt really matter thats it not in your policy, because the perception is there that it is.

I'm all for open, honest, adult level debates, but there are some things that are not open for debate (equality of race / gender / orientation / etc.).

I truly dont think any party is that stupid to re-open the abortion debate, but it looks TERRIBLE. And this is coming from someone who should be voting WRA (ex-PC). I wont be voting for the WRA because of the "conscience rights" issue or "Danielles Dividends". There is tuly no fiscally conservative or legitamitely social liberal party.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #1011
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's the thing. You allow referendums and people (with enough signatures) can bring any issue forward. This has been just twisted (by the left) to put the Wildrose in the worst possible light.
Aren't we discussing an election that will be fought between "The Conservatives" and "The More Conservatives"?

Is "the left" in Alberta really playing a role?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #1012
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Aren't we discussing an election that will be fought between "The Conservatives" and "The More Conservatives"?

Neither of which is "conservative" with all the money being thrown around!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #1013
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
The fact that the WRA is willing to let this even go to a possible referendum is a tacit approval that its worth opening it up to debate, whether intentional or not (no I'm not into conspiracies!!). It doesnt really matter thats it not in your policy, because the perception is there that it is.
If you allow referendums, unfortunately you have to take the good, bad and ugly. Personally, I don't think bad and ugly would ever get enough sigs and see the light of day.

Beyond that though, if you truly believe in freedom and listening to the people; you can't say "ok we will allow referendums" on one hand and then on the other say "oh, but not on these issues"..

Quote:
I'm all for open, honest, adult level debates, but there are some things that are not open for debate (equality of race / gender / orientation / etc.).
Agreed.

Quote:
I truly dont think any party is that stupid to re-open the abortion debate, but it looks TERRIBLE.
I don't know of any party that is going that route.

Quote:
And this is coming from someone who should be voting WRA (ex-PC). I wont be voting for the WRA because of the "conscience rights" issue or "Danielles Dividends". There is tuly no fiscally conservative or legitamitely social liberal party.
Again, I don't see the conscience rights ever seeing the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

That's presuming you still believe the PC's are conservative. By their own admission they are emphasizing the "progressive" part of their name.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #1014
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just released. http://www.wildrose.ca/press-release...anielle-smith/

Quote:
Statement From Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith

CALGARY, AB (April 5, 2012): Today, Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith issued the following statement to clarify an incorrect letter that was sent out from the Wildrose office in response to a question about abortion.

“Like the Progressive Conservatives, Wildrose has absolutely no intentions of legislating on abortion, and that includes delisting.”

“Citizen initiative is and has always been an important part of the Wildrose platform. However, any initiative must first be vetted by a federally appointed judge to determine whether or not it is constitutional.”
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1015
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't imagine a judge declaring that constitutional so it looks like we are safe and secure.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #1016
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think over the next couple weeks we are going to see the PCs go after Smith. Its really their only chance to make up ground and maybe form the government, if the polls are correct. They can't really slam policies because lets face it, they haven't done much better in most of these areas. They've been fairly quiet up until now but I suspect they are just about to get things going.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1017
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's all it needed. Had she hesitated on it, it would have looked worse and worse.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #1018
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Can we get over the abortion stuff now and actually talk about the stuff that the parties have control over?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #1019
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just added the following links to the initial "resource" post.

Registered MLA candidates

Registered Senate candidates
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #1020
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very pleased with this last release...
kn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote