Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #21
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a resident of the Wall I say it's good! No need to complain about being called out for complaining
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #22
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind it. Doom and gloom posts definitely suck to read during the game or after a loss. But after a win, I think it's fun to look back and enjoy the hot takes (mine included if I did a hot take).
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #23
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Keep doing what you're doing! I don't understand why we can't laugh at ourselves over our own emotional rollercoaster because we love the Flames.

I haven't made the WoS yet but I can say we're all going through some up and downs throughout the game. Just some people post every emotion at every moment.

genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As people often say when the Hall of Fame is debated: "It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good".

I think the same approach needs to be taken here. It's not a Wall of Shame if every slightly negative thing is included, especially the posts that are obviously sarcastic or trying to jinx a shutout.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #25
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Eventually people will just post bad takes just to they can show up in the thread after the game. We can't have nice things. Nor can we have awful things if that's your position.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yup, going to narrow the scope of posts that qualify in the (fingers crossed) elimination edition.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-12-2022 at 04:35 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #27
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is fun but should be just focused on people losing their minds needlessly. To make it less personal you could consider sharing the comments but not the names of the posters.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #28
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree it should only be used for wins.

Also, like the first WOS you gave us, I think it really should be limited to the most petty b*tching that’s given out and not just every little bad comment. Definitely more entertaining!

Either way, I love it.

Oh and screw the nsfw tags.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #29
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I agree it should only be used for wins.

Also, like the first WOS you gave us, I think it really should be limited to the most petty b*tching that’s given out and not just every little bad comment. Definitely more entertaining!

Either way, I love it.

Oh and screw the nsfw tags.
Haha, bold.

You just know that would fly over well.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #30
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you don't like it, don't look. Maybe the thread views will tell you whether to bother to continue.

I'm in favor of the suggestion that usernames be removed like ATL. I don't see what useful purpose they serve, and it gives people the ability to laugh at themselves without being self conscious.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:12 PM   #31
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think it needs to be shorter with more egregious comments. If you have to use non-egregious comments, maybe there's just not enough. Would rather see 5 good ones than 30 meh ones.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:16 PM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I just think it needs to be shorter with more egregious comments. If you have to use non-egregious comments, maybe there's just not enough. Would rather see 5 good ones than 30 meh ones.
I'm including moderate to egregious.

I have a feeling the Flames will come out better next game so it might be too short with the just the terribad takes.

Need enough to make a crown tally worthwhile, but not too watered down that its just a load of 'meh'.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #33
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep it how it is. I'm not sure why someone would be upset with something they took the time to put out there reposted
Old 05-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've more or less stayed out of it because I'm almost never in the Game Threads, but overall I like it.

So long as its all in good fun.

I dont know why people are getting upset about it, it is the very definition of poking some light-hearted fun at people who are in the heat of the moment and passionate and sober second thought is usually a funny way to look back on that stress.

Its not like anyone is being tarred and feathered or locked in the stocks in the Town Square.

I like the ATL because it gives me (a heavily biased) viewpoint of other fans that I otherwise wouldnt get.

I like WoS because it reminds me of a lot of the thoughts going through my own head when I'm watching the game.

The people who are angry and negative and worried? You could have called me all of those things after the second period last night and my attitude today is vastly different.

I think it adds to the fun, so long as everyone involved understands that its not malicious.

As an aside though, again, as someone who doesnt go through the Game Threads, you could probably remove the Poster's Username. I mean, if the spirit is supposed to be about the insanity of the comment with the understanding of the context in which it was said, it doesnt really matter who said it in order for it to be funny.

"This was the prevailing feeling of the fanbase at this moment as evidenced by these comments."

Just a thought.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #35
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Maybe do the homerisitic posts too and provide some balance. It's just as obnoxious and annoying to read posts about "player X must be injured" when they are just having a brutal game, or my personal favorite, when the team is getting its head caved in "we're actually winning the advanced stats battle". Just because you make an accurate statement about the ebb and flow of the game at the time means you should be ridiculed for it, especially when a completely different team comes out in the third period and plays like was suggested. If you want to follow through on your judgmental passive aggressive ######baggery, apply it to all aspects of the fanbase and all behaviors when they are going against the norm.
What if they are actually losing a game when metrics say they're actually playing well?

We should all just go with what you see as the almighty source of how a team is playing?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #36
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I laughed at a few posts and I appreciate the effort put into it by djsFlames, my vote is against the WoS in a winning PGT.

Personally, I stopped posting in all Game Threads, because they have become increasingly aggressive and negative over the years. I actually don't read them either, unless I cannot watch a game for some reason and a GT is the only way to follow game progress. Same for PGT's when we lose. Soaking in bitter negativity about a hockey team is just not something I enjoy (and it's not good for anyone's mental well-being either).

Having said that; I do understand and sympathize with people being frustrated. We all express our frustrations differently in the heat of the moment; especially, when our team doesn't play well. Hence; my vote: leave that stuff where it belongs; in a Game Thread. Peace.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #37
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I want names, dammit!
Old 05-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
I want names, dammit!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #39
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the poster who suggested a "Wall of I Told You So" haha.

I haven't read the wall of shame, as hindsight is almost entirely useless and boring. But it sounds more like a poster that wants some attention like Gaskal gets, which won't happen.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #40
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

In a way, we all become shame-filled in becoming Flames fans.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djsflameisthenegativeone