Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #2041
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I guarantee you 5 years from now, commodities will be even more costly.

Better start thinking of a new renovation to the saddledome at this point.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #2042
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm wondering if that point is simply inserted into every committee formation motion, and we're overthinking this...

It's almost like the bolded isn't what happened, at all.
a direct quote from her

“I would like to make sure Calgarians understand that building an event centre is still the strategic direction of council,” Gondek said. “There are still many interested parties in that Entertainment and Cultural District that want to see it move forward.”

So if there are many interested parties, it shouldn't take long to get a partner. Heck, you'd think one of them would have spoken out by now about their so called interest.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #2043
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
a direct quote from her

“I would like to make sure Calgarians understand that building an event centre is still the strategic direction of council,” Gondek said. “There are still many interested parties in that Entertainment and Cultural District that want to see it move forward.”

So if there are many interested parties, it shouldn't take long to get a partner. Heck, you'd think one of them would have spoken out by now about their so called interest.
I'm hugely skeptical that anyone else would be willing to put in the same amount of money as CSEC. You could find an operator to "partner" with and book concerts and stuff, but CSEC is the only logical base tenant for such a building.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:26 AM   #2044
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
a direct quote from her

I think you're taking that quote out of context.

I take it to mean the obvious, which is that there are plenty of stakeholders already committed to the ECD that want an arena to be a part of it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #2045
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They almost-certainly have. Council was behind closed doors for 3 hours discussing this yesterday.

Just because nothing was announced publicly doesn't mean nothing has happened.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #2046
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you build a new arena in the city, CSEC is definitely going to become the tenant in that arena. They don't have to own it to play in it. Perhaps they've lost their chance at owning it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #2047
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

moving the arena to the outsides like okotoks or balzac or tsuu tsina just seems like we are repeating Phoenix's arena problems.

I guess it is Canada so it will success regardless but that would be a blow to the Stampede area revitalization.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #2048
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
moving the arena to the outsides like okotoks or balzac or tsuu tsina just seems like we are repeating Phoenix's arena problems.

I guess it is Canada so it will success regardless but that would be a blow to the Stampede area revitalization.
With Stoney I actually think Tsuu'tina could work. Even from the NE you can get there in under half an hour.

Agreed on the other two locations but I'm all for an arena on the reserve. The only issue is the lack of a train out there.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #2049
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it is not downtown it will be a mistake.

Last edited by Vinny01; 03-09-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #2050
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Considering this is the City of Calgary forming the committee expressly for the purpose of building an arena in downtown Calgary, it's a safe bet that no one is talking about building something on the Reserve or outside the city.

Of the 3 Councillors on the committee, one is also a member of the Stampede Board and another is a member of the board for CMLC. Also on the committee are the CEOs of Calgary Economic Development and the Chamber of Commerce.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #2051
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I don't know if I am in the minority but if it is not downtown, my chances of attending a game drastically decreases.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #2052
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
I guarantee you 5 years from now, commodities will be even more costly.

Better start thinking of a new renovation to the saddledome at this point.
No point in renovating as lipstick on a pig is a waste of money. Best thing is to just let it go so it crosses that line from old and outdated to old with character.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #2053
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city is not getting involved with the committee so that they can put the arena outside the city limits somewhere.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #2054
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So what are the possible locations for a new arena?
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #2055
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenshoes View Post
Two blocks north of the Saddledome, between 12th and 14th Avenues and 4th and 5th Streets.

They're not looking to reinvent the wheel, just find a way to pay for what is already approved to be built.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #2056
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tsuu T'ina really wants the new arena located in one of the TAZA development clusters. Check TAZA web-site for concepts. This is not a bad location proposal although none of them have LRT access. But it is a new variable thrown into the equation. And Tsuu T'ina has oodles of cash. I don't believe the City wants the arena anywhere else but on the Stampede grounds for many reasons. I bet we will hear a "big announcement" soon. Something's coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #2057
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They almost-certainly have. Council was behind closed doors for 3 hours discussing this yesterday.

Just because nothing was announced publicly doesn't mean nothing has happened.
With Jyoti 'Twitchy Twitter Fingers' Gondek at the helm....thats exactly what it means.

If anything had happened she'd have instantly tweeted about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #2058
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Tsuu T'ina really wants the new arena located in one of the TAZA development clusters. Check TAZA web-site for concepts. This is not a bad location proposal although none of them have LRT access. But it is a new variable thrown into the equation. And Tsuu T'ina has oodles of cash. I don't believe the City wants the arena anywhere else but on the Stampede grounds for many reasons. I bet we will hear a "big announcement" soon. Something's coming.
This would have no connection to the city’s plans. This would be a deal with CSEC alone. CSEC will announce a “plan” to develop there in order to put pause in the city administration on their Vic Park location with an independent development partner. Then CSEC will go back to stalling.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #2059
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Firepark
Vulcan
Crossiron/Balzac
West Downtown
Tsuu T'ina
Seton
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #2060
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
With Stoney I actually think Tsuu'tina could work. Even from the NE you can get there in under half an hour.

Agreed on the other two locations but I'm all for an arena on the reserve. The only issue is the lack of a train out there.
The only issue but a major one. When people talk about driving time to other parts of the city like it's quick and easy, they forget that a large chunk of the fanbase takes transit to games so they can drink.

Build it out there and everyone is either a) spending another $40-$70 there and back for Uber b) driving and not drinking, or c) drinking and driving. Downtown is where you have to build it to avoid losing the drinking crowd...and the drinking while at a sporting event crowd is massive.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good