Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Statistics can sometimes be misleading. It's not to argue that he doesn't deserve it, but in batting Vlad was better. Does this ultimately mean Ohtani wins every year because he can pitch too? It's unique, that's for sure, but as many have pointed out, the definition of most valuable player is value to the team. The Jays were pretty damn close to the playoffs based on Vlad and others killing it. It's a debate, it's not a runaway vote for either.
But it isnt a debate at all. Not a runaway? It might be unanimous for Ohtani. That's the point. Again, he did things not done in a century of MLB. Voters arent just going to overlook that.

And yes, if Ohtani puts those numbers up every year, he will win it again.

And value to the team? The Jays had another MVP finalist....the Angels had nothing else once Trout went down. Ohtani was their best hitter AND their best pitcher.

It takes nothing away from Vladdy's accomplishments and he will win this award in the future....maybe multiple times. He looks like he may be the best hitter in baseball for years if he continues on this curve.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:34 PM   #22
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
But it isnt a debate at all. Not a runaway? It might be unanimous for Ohtani. That's the point. Again, he did things not done in a century of MLB. Voters arent just going to overlook that.

And yes, if Ohtani puts those numbers up every year, he will win it again.

And value to the team? The Jays had another MVP finalist....the Angels had nothing else once Trout went down. Ohtani was their best hitter AND their best pitcher.

It takes nothing away from Vladdy's accomplishments and he will win this award in the future....maybe multiple times. He looks like he may be the best hitter in baseball for years if he continues on this curve.

In no way am I putting down Ohtani's accomplishment, because it was great. But it's because the pitching position has been segregated since yesteryear. Pitchers generally don't focus on hitting, and he broke through that. However, Vladdy was almost the triple crown winner for a long time. That has to account for something.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:19 AM   #23
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460573859250327557

Not sure on the validity of this, but hopefully it's true.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #24
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Looks like it. Awesome news!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460611594271006727
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #25
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Sounds like 7 years, $131 million.

That’s very reasonable.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #26
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally I’d be totally against a 7 year contract for a pitcher but the annual value isn’t crazy compared to the best pitchers in the game, and he’s young. Happy Jays management got it done.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #27
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tidy bit of a work by Atkins on that contract. When mid/back of rotation Eduardo Rodriquez AAV is comparable as a UFA then you know you've done alright.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #28
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Awesome. 18 million a year for a guy who consistently pitches 190-200 innings, and pitches a 3ish FIP, that’s good value.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a really good deal. I was thinking he'd be more in the $22 million range.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #30
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I'd give Ray the same AAV over 6 years (Berrios has one year left before this kicks in).
Old 11-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #31
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Apparently there is an opt-out after the 5th year of the contract.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #32
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Berrios is a nice signing. Looking forward to watching him for years to come.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome - would’ve been terrible to part with all the prospect capital they did for an 18-month rental.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #34
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I'd give Ray the same AAV over 6 years (Berrios has one year left before this kicks in).
I definitely think Ray is deserving of significantly more than the Berrios deal (hope his agent isn't reading this).

I'd think he is probably closer to Zach Wheeler type of money right now.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #35
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I definitely think Ray is deserving of significantly more than the Berrios deal (hope his agent isn't reading this).

I'd think he is probably closer to Zach Wheeler type of money right now.
I think if it's 6 years you can get him on lower ACV, and with a lot of lefties, when they lose some velocity, they can still get guys out. If Ray's command and control are truly fixed, then maybe it's still a decent contract at the end.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #36
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I think if it's 6 years you can get him on lower ACV, and with a lot of lefties, when they lose some velocity, they can still get guys out. If Ray's command and control are truly fixed, then maybe it's still a decent contract at the end.
If you can get him for that money, you make that deal right away. He's proven to be a grinder who doesn't always need his best stuff to be effective.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Syndergaard to the Angels for 1 year at 21million pending a physical. Jays were supposedly in on him.

Damn I would have loved it if they signed him.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great signing. As some have mentioned, 7 years can be a little scary for a pitcher, but he is young and a workhorse.

Having him and Manoah to build around for the next half decade plus, is fantastic!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #39
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Pearson can figure it out too, because really if he can find his game again and stay healthy then that should be a pretty good 1-2-3 punch long term.

Good article about his struggles last year here https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...ernia-surgery/

Honestly it feels questionable of the Jays training staff to have a 25 year old try to change his mechanics to ease the pressure on the groin, instead of just getting the surgery.

But when he's on his game his stuff is absolutely nasty, and I think he could have a bounce back season next year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #40
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hopefully Pearson can figure it out too, because really if he can find his game again and stay healthy then that should be a pretty good 1-2-3 punch long term.

Good article about his struggles last year here https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...ernia-surgery/

Honestly it feels questionable of the Jays training staff to have a 25 year old try to change his mechanics to ease the pressure on the groin, instead of just getting the surgery.

But when he's on his game his stuff is absolutely nasty, and I think he could have a bounce back season next year.

With Pearson it seems obvious to me much of it is mental. He seems worried every other start. If I were to guess it seems like his confidence is shot. His physical ability isn't questioned at all. I believe in Pete Walker after most starters do well under him. I hope they invest in boosting his confidence any way possible. He's young and seasons where everyone is passing him can really get you in the dumps when he was so highly touted a couple seasons back (#1 on Baseball America's prospect rankings, IRRC). He's a real gem if they can build him up.