Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #1161
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Markstrom is still good. Playing him 10 more games in the regular season than guys like Kevin Woodley , who knows goalie stuff, think is wise, doesn't necessarily hurt in the regular season, but by the playoffs he's wearing down.

It's not just that he's tired or can't rehab small nagging injuries, but that he doesn't get enough off days to refocus his game. In Vancouver, he would "drift" from his best habits when they had a long road trip and he didn't get practice time with Ian Clarke--who I also think was probably the best fit as goalie coach for him.

It's up to Calgary's goalie coach to advocate for the rest and practice time in the regular season--if we had won a couple fewer games it wouldn't have changed that much and Markstrom could have been fresher for the playoffs.

Also, the type of games matters. Dallas was pinned a lot when the Flames had relentless pressure in the Stars zone. That is time when Markstrom doesn't have to be in his tensed up stance awaiting shots so it's not as tiring as it is when the time in each zone is more balanced, like in the Oiler series.

I think Vladar is up to a few more games, and as Tampa proves, you don't have to finish first in your divisiion; you have to be ready for the battle that is the playoffs.
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReinhartonD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #1162
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's still good and our guy going forward for the next few years, but I would never let him play the Oilers in his tenure here ever again, lol.

Just seems to be a kryptonite team for him for as long as he wears the Flaming C.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #1163
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
At the conclusion of the season I actually feel really good about where the goaltending is right now with Markstrom, Vladar, and Wolf on the horizon. The position hasn't been this stable for the organization for a long time.
Not if our #1 Vezina candidate has the god damn yips against the Oilers.

I guess we can just hope they don't make the playoffs, or get matched up against the worst team in the playoffs like the Kings.

But we can only hope Markstrom=Lemelin and Wolf=Vernon.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #1164
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the plan all along is for Markstrom to hold the place for Wolf. Have Wolf play 1 more year in the AHL, then have him be the Flames backup for a year, split 1A/1B with Markstrom the next year, then be the number 1 keeper with Markstrom as the backup for the last season.

But 4 more years at $6-mil per for Markstrom, along with a NMC, it may be painful..
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #1165
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not buying that Markstron was worn out. He was great against the Stars, and then he suddenly hits a wall?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #1166
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There's also the 13 regular season BoA games where Markström has a combined SV% of .884.

But again, try the other goalie. Then we'd know if we have a serious problem or just a weird situation where the backup happens to be better against that one team.
I would argue its the Flames who play differently in front of Marky when they play the Oilers. They get scared of McDrai and then get lit up.

I can remember Marky have only a couple bad games vs Oilers, it was mostly the Flames playing like crap.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #1167
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk on the Marek show is Markstrom was playing through an injury
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #1168
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not buying that Markstron was worn out. He was great against the Stars, and then he suddenly hits a wall?
I'm not so sure he was either. He just didn't have a good series like the rest of the team.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #1169
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Talk on the Marek show is Markstrom was playing through an injury
Was he playing through an injury over the last 2 years?

Because the more likely injury is Oileritis, which is the propensity to suck against the Flames’ most bitter rival. I don’t have the updated numbers, but his last 2 seasons against the Oilers is absolutely pathetic. All you can ask is for your goaltending to give you a chance to win and Markstrom doesn’t do that up against that club for whatever reason.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #1170
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
My thought too.

I never saw a fatigued goaltender.

I saw a team that started bleeding high danger chances, and a goalie that couldn't make the save on them.

It wasn't a series of terrible goals other than game one, and then the start to game four.

Great chances for great players doing great things. Doesn't excuse Markstrom; he has to make those saves, he's a core part of the team, but I didn't see a tired goalie giving up weak goals nightly.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #1171
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I heard a guy call him Shaky Jake.

At 5.12 and .852, over 5 games, it kind of fits

He got beaten by a few stinkers this series for sure, plus a few 2 on 1s. That 4-1 loss I don’t put on him in any way. But he is paid to be a difference maker and failed

The game 4 coughup was inexcusable. Put them behind the 8 ball right away

The OT winner was so unnecessary, but felt inevitable. 3 Flames couldn’t do their job. Hanifin turned it over, Lindholm let McDavid escape his coverage, and the shot was a good shot by a good shooter that Markstrom saw and couldn’t stop.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #1172
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Markstrom contract right now looking like a worse deal for the team than what Koskinen got from Edmonton
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #1173
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Markstrom contract right now looking like a worse deal for the team than what Koskinen got from Edmonton
Nah he can still win those meaningless low pressure games to get them to the playoffs

Just don’t expect a mental midget to win against the Oilers. They own him. McDavid is his Papa.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #1174
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that he is a very good goalie. But he's got some kind of 'off' switch when it comes to the Oilers, and they know it.

I have to wonder how that affected the rest of the team, too. When you lose confidence in your goalie, it's huge. Knowing (or feeling) like you are going to have to score 4+ to even stand a chance in the game can't be a good feeling.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #1175
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I think that he is a very good goalie. But he's got some kind of 'off' switch when it comes to the Oilers, and they know it.

I have to wonder how that affected the rest of the team, too. When you lose confidence in your goalie, it's huge. Knowing (or feeling) like you are going to have to score 4+ to even stand a chance in the game can't be a good feeling.
It helps the Oilers. Even in game 1, they were pathetic but they realized they own him and that was the series
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #1176
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Canucks radio right now.
5 goalies played over 60 games this season, Marky, Demko, Saros, Hellebuck & Vaselevski.

4 of those 5 got injured or looked off at the end of their seasons; the other is a Russian robot.

I dont think fatigue or injury is the only excuse for Markstrom here, but he was overworked.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #1177
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, Markstrom playing 50 games will be just fine. Need to play Vladar more and get Wolf up with the big club hopefully in a couple seasons.
Work on that f-in low-glove
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #1178
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Once we got into playoff position there was no need to play Markstrom as often. We should have given him some rest. Kipper was at his best the first season where he only played 38 games and took us deep.

The rumors that Markstrom was playing through an injury makes no sense because if your goaltender is injured or compromised, you play the backup.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #1179
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Listening to Canucks radio right now.
5 goalies played over 60 games this season, Marky, Demko, Saros, Hellebuck & Vaselevski.

4 of those 5 got injured or looked off at the end of their seasons; the other is a Russian robot.

I dont think fatigue or injury is the only excuse for Markstrom here, but he was overworked.
Its also Sutter’s style. I am doubtful he changes, but maybe he will. I know the ride your horse but it’s highly likely that Vladar coming in would not have been any worse. Sutter should have adapted there and didn’t.

I would like him to reflect this summer on that, but he won’t. There is work at the farm to be done.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 01:59 PM   #1180
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I heard a guy call him Shaky Jake.
Yeah bro that was you

Quote: