Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #621
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Have you had a chance to see the Bose versions of this stuff?
Sorry no experience with the bose stuff. I think Sonos is the leader in this space right now.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #622
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Anyone do any kind of sound proofing? Green Glue? Quiet Rock? Resilient Channels? Between my guitar and home theatre I'd like to mitigate the amount of noise I make.
I think just the green glue is over $1K and you'll need double drywall which adds more to the cost a lot.

Generally, if you watch movies after everyone's asleep, with the main floor acting as a sound barrier, it should be OK between a basement HT and 2nd floor bedrooms. Noise will travel through the HAVC ducts regardless and the green glue won't help that.

If I have a bungalow, then maybe I'll spend more on soundproofing.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #623
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am a huge fan of sonos. Everything about it is just what I have been looking for. Plug it in sync it to other sonos gear and go. I am far from a techy kinda guy but sonos is just so easy to use and the sound is amazing.
I literally just picked up a playbar and a couple of play 3's. I can't wait to get home and hook it all up to my new tv (picked up a Samsung f8500 a month ago or so)

This brings my collection up to a playbar, sub, x2 play 3's and x4 play 5's.

I can't say enough positive things about this gear.

Oh actually I do have a con. The play 5 speakers can't be used as rear speakers with the pkaybar only the play 3's and play 1's.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #624
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I have a very legal 3d movie in mp4 format on my PC I want to stream to my computer. Right now I stream using windows sharing > wifi/LAN > WD Live > TV. How do I make 3D work in this setup? Or is it more complicated? The 3d movie I have is a side by side.... and another copy I have is literally 2 files. I assume for left and right.

Help
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #625
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

For someone who is new to home theatre systems, any advice? I'm dealing with a room that's 12 feet by 12 feet basically.. not huge. 60 " tv. Equally for gaming/tv/movies, not really for music. I was at bestbuy and they have these:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...103cac12a6en02

They sounded really sweet. Oh one thing I should mention... my tv stand is limiting my size of speakers. I don't have room for large speakers in the front.

What should I know about receivers?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #626
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For someone who is new to home theatre systems, any advice?
Don't buy Bose.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #627
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

BOSE is actually an acronym. Buy other stereo equipment.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #628
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol a friend at work said
"no highs, no lows? must be bose"
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #629
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol a friend at work said
"no highs, no lows? must be bose"
The oldest and most apt descriptor. Great clarity, crap frequency response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #630
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The oldest and most apt descriptor. Great clarity, crap frequency response.
The 2.1 system at BB would be really ideal but I'm starting to get the impression that building would be better and leave me with more options. buying a receiver gives me the sweats tho. it's a bit of a scary process because I dont know what I need or even want. Or how it would work practically. Do I put all my inputs to the receiver? Or just the tv sound out and all my inputs to tv? !!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #631
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 2.1 system at BB would be really ideal but I'm starting to get the impression that building would be better and leave me with more options. buying a receiver gives me the sweats tho. it's a bit of a scary process because I dont know what I need or even want. Or how it would work practically. Do I put all my inputs to the receiver? Or just the tv sound out and all my inputs to tv? !!
Inputs to receiver to TV. As long as the receiver isn't crap you shouldn't see any video degradation from using the receiver as an audio/video switcher, but you most certainly will see audio degradation going from the TV to the receiver. Hell, most TV-outs down-scale 5.1/7.1 to 2.0, and won't even mention it in their books.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #632
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do I put all my inputs to the receiver? Or just the tv sound out and all my inputs to tv? !!
What PsYcNeT said. Receivers aren't too bad to buy and about the best thing since sliced bread. Really the only way to use a tv, IMO.

I route everything through the receiver, but I do use a toslink for an audio return channel from the TV. If someone wants to plug in a camcorder or video game system or whatever in temporarily, they can plug it into the tv input and the audio still goes to the receiver.

Basically, figure out what features are important to you (power consumption, number of inputs, number of channels, multiple zones, airplay, wattage... the list goes on) then narrow it down to a few in your price range. To make a broad brand generalization, I'm personally a fan of Denon, and would stay away from the latest Onkyos (HDMI issues).

If speaker size is a limiting factor for you and you're into a 2.1 system anyway, check out PSB. Another poster here was mentioning them as a fantastic little speaker for a room that size. I'm looking at picking up the Alpha for my computer room.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #633
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on your TV, an Audio Return Channel (ARC) on your receiver would make a toslink cable from your TV to the receiver, redundant. I'm also a fan of Denon. A new receiver connected to your internet also gives a lot of music choices.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #634
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Depending on your TV, an Audio Return Channel (ARC) on your receiver would make a toslink cable from your TV to the receiver, redundant.
Never really thought of that. My receiver is a little too old for that.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #635
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...eac587a3b1en02

This one seems to have features I like, a little pricey for what I was expecting but looks good
Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #636
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...eac587a3b1en02

This one seems to have features I like, a little pricey for what I was expecting but looks good
Looks decent. I'd look around for some sales or maybe wait for Black Friday.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #637
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black friday deals starting.

2001 Audio & Video (Ontario store) has Harman/Kardon AVR 1650's on for $299 w/ free shipping.

http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/cat...earchterm=1650

Amazing non-networked 5.1 receiver for anyone in the market.

Quote:
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #638
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Black Friday. An exciting time to blow my wallet into pieces.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #639
Mattington
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm looking into getting a receiver, shopping around and I found the Sony STRDH740 at Future Shop. Does anybody know about this receiver? I'm not worried about internet connectivity or multi-room stuff. Just want to plug in a couple gaming systems and tv box really. I have a 5.1 speaker setup right now, but the only issue is the speakers are all 4ohm, will this cause any problems?
Mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #640
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattington View Post
I'm looking into getting a receiver, shopping around and I found the Sony STRDH740 at Future Shop. Does anybody know about this receiver? I'm not worried about internet connectivity or multi-room stuff. Just want to plug in a couple gaming systems and tv box really. I have a 5.1 speaker setup right now, but the only issue is the speakers are all 4ohm, will this cause any problems?
Surprisingly, it says on "details and specs" that it is 4 ohm capable. I'd check on the Sony site to make sure as I don't completely trust Future Shop.