Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #441
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You can basically choose to ignore the politics involved, or not. It's a great phone otherwise
I'm mostly concerned about the Google updates and such, the politics aside. Just want to make sure that I can continue to do my day to day business without any issues.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #442
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Not sure I 100% agree this is Googles model, I mean Apple really owns it AFAIC.
It was a little underwhelming though..
That's the thing. Google is trying to use the Apple model, but they don't have the same collection rabid fanboys who will run out and buy their hardware every year. Particularly given the choice consumers have in the Android ecosystem.

You could do better for the same price with Samsung, or better for much cheaper with OnePlus. It's bizarre that they don't really see that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #443
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
I'm mostly concerned about the Google updates and such, the politics aside. Just want to make sure that I can continue to do my day to day business without any issues.
I believe as it stands right now the US ban doesn't affect current phones already released, just ones coming out in the future like the Mate30
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #444
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

You could do better for the same price with Samsung, or better for much cheaper with OnePlus. It's bizarre that they don't really see that.
Samsungs are getting more and more expensive plus come loaded with bloatware. The OnePlus has definitely given me a pause on my planned pixel 4 purchase though
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #445
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife needs a new phone, sub $500. On the smaller side, too, none of these 6" + monsters. I was waiting to see if Goolge would provide anything, I guess not. Any recommendations? She currently has a Oneplus X.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #446
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Samsungs are getting more and more expensive plus come loaded with bloatware. The OnePlus has definitely given me a pause on my planned pixel 4 purchase though
Good point on the bloat.

And FWIW, I've got a OP6, and recommend it. It's a solid phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #447
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My wife needs a new phone, sub $500. On the smaller side, too, none of these 6" + monsters. I was waiting to see if Goolge would provide anything, I guess not. Any recommendations? She currently has a Oneplus X.

Pixel 3 is $599 right now, 3a is $549, both excellent choices.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #448
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, was looking at the 3a as an option. No headphone jack is annoying and was hoping for a bigger price drop! Some of the Motorola's look OK for around $300.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #449
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If she is not a heavy user than Motorola, Zenphone, One+ are all good choices. Even the cheaper Samsungs are pretty good, the A line I believe. Used is not a terrible way to go either. Essential PH-1 is decent and can be found cheap.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #450
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think she wants used, as she holds on to them for awhile, so updates are important. Derfintyl not Samsung, would like to stick as close to stock as possible. She mostly uses it for music and photos when we travel(though I have an SLR, so doesn't need the best). No gaming, not much video. I'll take a look at the Zenphone.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #451
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think she wants used, as she holds on to them for awhile, so updates are important. Derfintyl not Samsung, would like to stick as close to stock as possible. She mostly uses it for music and photos when we travel(though I have an SLR, so doesn't need the best). No gaming, not much video. I'll take a look at the Zenphone.

Pixel is best for photos, and no headphone jack isnt a biggie. Get her some wireless earbuds.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #452
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, was looking at the 3a as an option. No headphone jack is annoying and was hoping for a bigger price drop! Some of the Motorola's look OK for around $300.
American Thanksgiving is less than a month away. Might get a better deal then. Knowing Google, probably on a Pixel 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #453
Bent Wookie

My only pause on the Pixel 4 is the battery size. Unbelievable that they have made it a smaller battery on the regular 4.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #454
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how to keep an app like Google Pay or Passes in front of the lock screen? Digital pink slips are now legal in Alberta and I can't seem to figure out how to keep them in front of the lock screen so the screen can just be turned on to display the pink slip and not actually have to unlock the phone and open the app.

For that matter, I don't think google pay can even store pink slips. Not ATM anyways.

Passes works well but would be nice to keep all that stuff in one place.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #455
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe as it stands right now the US ban doesn't affect current phones already released, just ones coming out in the future like the Mate30
Not correct. There is no ban at all on any Huawei phones, now or future. Trump lifted that a while ago. I have a Mate 20 Pro, best phone I have ever had easily. Huawei makes great phones.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #456
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not correct. There is no ban at all on any Huawei phones, now or future. Trump lifted that a while ago. I have a Mate 20 Pro, best phone I have ever had easily. Huawei makes great phones.
Yeah it's still not in effect he keeps extending grace periods. That's why the concern is over future devices

It's not a ban on the phones but the worry is Google will stop supporting them. You're right, they are great phones
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #457
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Decided to keep the P30. Really like it so far.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #458
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post

At this point I'd have a hard time giving a company money when they're a known arm of the Chinese government. Everyone talks about how terrible their treatment of the Uyghur's and Hong Kong is, but until we stop giving them money nothing will change
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #459
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I'm genuinely excited about is active display changes in the camera -- so if you change the iso or shutter speed, you'll see the effects in the camera screen before you snap the picture and view the end result, eliminating guessing and making the pro camera actually usable.

That, the 90hz refresh rate, and all OS updates as they're rolled out might be enough to make this my next phone.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #460
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
At this point I'd have a hard time giving a company money when they're a known arm of the Chinese government. Everyone talks about how terrible their treatment of the Uyghur's and Hong Kong is, but until we stop giving them money nothing will change
Not this bs again....Please give proof that Huawei is a known arm of the Chinese government instead of believing the absolute bs the Trump regime feeds you. Can I interest you in a subscription to the National Enquirer too?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote